From land animal to ocean-dweller

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Below is evidence a fork evolved into a spoon...or was it a spoon evolving into a fork?

spork .jpg

Reactions: Hieronymus
Upvote 0

JonFromMinnesota

Sep 3, 2015
Minnesota
✟52,766.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
There were references to scientific journals in that link. You clearly didn't read them. How about you do that and then come back here and summarize.

So what? A forum isn't about linking me to "Scientific' Journals"...then saying HAH!!! there it is.

Upvote 0

JonFromMinnesota

Sep 3, 2015
Minnesota
✟52,766.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Oafman

Try telling that to these bog brained murphys
Dec 19, 2012
Malice
✟28,559.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
UK-Labour
Species is a scientific term. 'kind' is not used by any evolutionary biologist, anywhere.
1) So, because an "evolutionary" biologist does not use the term, we are bound to it? Are we not free to think critically according to our model?
The term 'kinds' is completely useless. Determining what 'kind' an animal is seems to be done at a cursory glance. 'That animal looks a bit like that animal, so same kind.' Following such thinking might lead you to put tapirs and pigs in the same 'kind', or whales and dugongs, or salamander and lizards, or dolphins and porpoises. As much as these animals may look similar, in each case they are actually quite different.

Or how about these two animals:

newshrew2.jpg
shrew.jpg

On the left is a grey-faced sengi. On the right is a shrew. 'Same kind' you might think, but actually animals which are quite different to each other, in very many ways, and not closely related.

This is why biologists do not use the term 'kind' and have, over centuries, come up with a detailed and accurate way of categorising animals.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
The term 'kinds' is completely useless. Determining what 'kind' an animal is seems to be done at a cursory glance. 'That animal looks a bit like that animal, so same kind.' Following such thinking might lead you to put tapirs and pigs in the same 'kind', or whales and dugongs, or salamander and lizards, or dolphins and porpoises. As much as these animals may look similar, in each case they are actually quite different.

Or how about these two animals:

newshrew2.jpg
shrew.jpg

On the left is a grey-faced sengi. On the right is a shrew. 'Same kind' you might think, but actually animals which are quite different to each other, in very many ways, and not closely related.

This is why biologists do not use the term 'kind' and have, over centuries, come up with a detailed and accurate way of categorising animals.

Are you saying there is no scientific definition of "kinds"?

Secondly you do know... "kinds" are not based upon looks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've never seen a consistent definition of kinds.

What is based on?

It's based on animals having the ability to reproduce with each other.

Now, if you haven't seen a "consistent definition of kinds"....I would suggest you google a few of the leading YEC web sites.

Upvote 0

lasthero

Jul 30, 2013
✟229,477.00
Faith
Seeker
It's based on animals having the ability to reproduce with each other.

So if two animals can reproduce with each other, they're the same kind?

Now, if you haven't seen a "consistent definition of kinds"....I would suggest you google a few of the leading YEC web sites.

They often have different defitions.

For instance, you just said that kinds are determined by their ability to reproduce. However, Answers in Genesis has this.

cat-kind-chart.gif

This would indicate that all cats are one kind. However, all these animals can't reproduce with each other. It also completely leaves out hyenas and certain other extant and extinct cats.

Upvote 0

JonFromMinnesota

Sep 3, 2015
Minnesota
✟52,766.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

As demonstrated by lasthero, you don't have a consistent definition of 'kinds' This is why REAL scientists don't use that term. You should order yourself a biology textbook. You can find Kenneth Miller's student edition on Amazon.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
So if two animals can reproduce with each other, they're the same kind?

They often have different defitions.

For instance, you just said that kinds are determined by their ability to reproduce. However, Answers in Genesis has this.

cat-kind-chart.gif

This would indicate that all cats are one kind. However, all these animals can't reproduce with each other. It also completely leaves out hyenas and certain other extant and extinct cats.

I fail to see your point...

That definition is a more expanded definition of the simple one liner I gave you.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
As demonstrated by lasthero, you don't have a consistent definition of 'kinds' This is why REAL scientists don't use that term. You should order yourself a biology textbook. You can find Kenneth Miller's student edition on Amazon.

Go to 4 different YEC websites...cut and past the definition....and show me the inconsistency. If you can't then I suggest you retract your post...that is if the moderators don't remove it for slinging ad-homimens

Upvote 0