America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I got it! I found it yesterday at B&N. I was so excited because I've looked for it every time I remember to when I'm at the bookstore. I couldn't wait to get home and get into it, then my HUSBAND fishes it out of the bag before I'm barely in the door and announces that he's got it first! :eek:

It'll be at least two weeks before he gets through with it!! :help:

Anyone else read it before? I've heard that it's really good, and the reviews on the back are pretty glowing.

onesheep

Sheep that looks like Bob
Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
Oooh, great book Sandy! I read it in a weekend and then gave it to my mom. She loved it too. So far it's the best of his books that I've read. I'll probably re-read it.

Amy, here's the review from Amazon.com:
Father Elijah : An Apocalypse by Michael D. O'Brien (Hardcover - June 1996)

Midwest Book Review

Set at the end of this century, Father Elijah is an apocalyptic novel exploring the state of the modern world and religious scene by following the experiences of Fr. Elijah Schafer, a Carmelite priest on a secret mission for the Vatican which embroils him in a series of crises and subterfuges affecting the ultimate destiny of the Church. Father Elijah is a convert from Judaism, a survivor of the Holocaust, a man once powerful in Israel. For twenty years he has been "buried in the dark night of Carmel" on the mountain of the prophet Elijah. The Pope and the Cardinal Secretary of State call him out of obscurity and give him a task of the highest sensitivity: to penetrate into the inner circles of a man whom they believe may be the Antichrist. Their purpose is to call the Man of Sin to repentance, and thus to postpone the great tribulation long enough to preach the Gospel to the whole world. In this richly textured tale, Father Elijah crosses Europe and the middle East, moves through the echelons of world power, meets saints and sinners, presidents, judges, mystics, embattled Catholic journalists, faithful priests and a conspiracy of traitors within the very House of God. This is an apocalypse in the old literary sense and written in the light of Christian revelation. Father Elijah is an engaging, can't-put-it-down novel!

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by Avila
What is it about? I've not heard of it. Is it a work of fiction, an apologetic work, huh, huh? :p Tell me more!!! :D

It's like the "Left Behind" series, but for Catholics. Well, that and the fact that O'Brien isn't milking this series for all it's worth (like this book didn't go from being originally a trilogy and then get spread out across a minimum of ten books.)

It's a single book, but big, definitely worth your money. I bought it about a year ago, and then my wife read it... she said it gave her nightmares, O'Brien's picture of the end days was that vivid.

Upvote 0

HisLamb

Feb 6, 2002
N.E. Texas
Visit site
✟1,054.00
Faith
Catholic
Oh, Sandy, you will thoroughly enjoy this book! It's one of my favorites. Have you read his other books? There are three more out..."Strangers and Sojourners", "Plague Journal" and "Eclipse of the Sun". There are supposed to be two more, but last time I checked they weren't published yet.

O'Brien is terrific!! :)

Upvote 0

Avila

Boohoo moomoo, cebu
Feb 6, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟2,479.00
Faith
Catholic
Eeehhh... I guess it wouldn't be a book for me. I tend to shy away from anything that smacks of "the last days". Sorry.... :( I had it beaten into me, and I was always sooo scared that I'd been "left behind" because I wasn't perfect - when my parents didn't come home on time, etc. I have a lot of emotional issues over that, and I'm not quite ready to tackle them yet. It does sound like a good book to read, though, when I'm finally ready to face those issues. Happy reading, and I'll keep the title in mind for future reference! :) Thanks!!!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ZooMom

Thanks for the memories...
Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Thanks everyone! I can't wait to read it. :)

I tried to swap Rome Sweet Home for it last night, since my hubby hasn't read that yet either, but no dice. Now he's hidden it. :( Would it be terribly wrong of me to trash his dresser and closet to look for it? :holy:

Upvote 0

nyj

Goodbye, my puppy
Feb 5, 2002
USA
Visit site
✟39,238.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Originally posted by ZooMom
Thanks everyone! I can't wait to read it. :)

I tried to swap Rome Sweet Home for it last night, since my hubby hasn't read that yet either, but no dice. Now he's hidden it. :( Would it be terribly wrong of me to trash his dresser and closet to look for it? :holy:

Heh, you could always buy another copy and then donate it to your parish when you're done. Of course, raiding the dresser and closet is the cheaper alternative. ;)

Upvote 0

VOW

Feb 7, 2002
*displaced* CA, soon to be AZ!
Visit site
✟28,000.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
To ZooMom:

Who is the faster reader in your house? That person should get the book first!! (thievery between spouses is sanctioned, though... they are "of one body," LOL)

Or... you could do like they did in an old M*A*S*H episode: when hubby finishes the first chapter, have him rip it out of the book and hand it to you!

Hmmmm.... you only tried a trade. How about bribery?

Peace be with you,
~VOW

Upvote 0

onesheep

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by HisLamb
Oh, Sandy, you will thoroughly enjoy this book! It's one of my favorites. Have you read his other books? There are three more out..."Strangers and Sojourners", "Plague Journal" and "Eclipse of the Sun". There are supposed to be two more, but last time I checked they weren't published yet.
I've read those three and I enjoyed them. It was a good series but the writing style is very different from Father Elijah.

I haven't seen the other two out yet. :cry:

Amy, it's not really as apocalyptic as it sounds and it's got a good story line. Nothing at all like the typical "rapture" books.

Upvote 0

ZooMom

Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Amy, it's not really as apocalyptic as it sounds and it's got a good story line. Nothing at all like the typical "rapture" books.
Speaking of...have you had a chance to check out Bud McFarlane's novels, Amy?

I'm off to raid the closet. I read much faster than my hubby. He likes to absorb a book, whereas I devour them. :D

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ZooMom

Feb 5, 2002
America
✟45,193.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by LilyLamb
:holy: Okay Sandy, it's time for bribery :holy:

No can do. I paid for the dern thing. I'll just steal it back, and he can have it tomorrow. :D Well maybe day after tomorrow. It IS a thick book.

Besides, a wise man once said...

It's better to beg forgiveness, than ask permission. :p ;)

Upvote 0

Avila

Boohoo moomoo, cebu
Feb 6, 2002
Indiana
Visit site
✟2,479.00
Faith
Catholic
Oh, well if it's not too apocalyptic, then that's okay.

Sandy, I've checked them out, but haven't gotten budgetary approval for the donation to get the books. I'm still working on the approval to donate something to CHSS!!!! Of course, if I go through my course quickly, maybe he'll be more willing to shell out the money...... ;)

Upvote 0

HisLamb

Feb 6, 2002
N.E. Texas
Visit site
✟1,054.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by onesheep
I've read those three and I enjoyed them. It was a good series but the writing style is very different from Father Elijah.

I haven't seen the other two out yet. :cry:

Yes, the style of the other three is different, yet I'd say just as good. Did you notice that Father Elijah was mentioned in one of the other books? I can't recall which one now... Once I'm caught up on my reading, I'll have to re-read those three. Already read Father Elijah two or three times.

Upvote 0

onesheep

Feb 7, 2002
Visit site
✟16,741.00
Faith
Catholic
Originally posted by HisLamb
Yes, the style of the other three is different, yet I'd say just as good. Did you notice that Father Elijah was mentioned in one of the other books? I can't recall which one now... Once I'm caught up on my reading, I'll have to re-read those three. Already read Father Elijah two or three times.
I agree, they were very good.

I noticed that Father Elijah was mentioned in either book 2 or book 3. Having read Father Elijah first I knew immediately who that was. I'm thinking of re-reading Father Elijah to see if characters from the series are mentioned in it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.