Not open for further replies.

judechild

Catholic Socratic
Jul 5, 2009
The Jesuit War-Room
✟11,369.00
Faith
Catholic
I have read a good deal of Chrysostom and Augustine. But I also like some of the later Greek fathers such as Maximus the Confessor and Gregory Palamas.

Right, St. Augustine, you gotta love him. I've never heard of Maximus the Confessor; what are some of his works?

Upvote 0

Tzaousios

Αυγουστινιανικός Χριστιανός
Dec 4, 2008
Comitatus in praesenti
Visit site
✟26,729.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Right, St. Augustine, you gotta love him. I've never heard of Maximus the Confessor; what are some of his works?

He is a seventh-century Greek father who wrote a good deal on the interaction between the human and divine wills in salvation. A good place to start with him and many other fathers is in St. Vladimir's Press' Popular Patristic Series. For Maximus they have translated On the Cosmic Mystery of Jesus Christ.

St Vladimir's Seminary Press and Bookstore

I'm reading the Confessions of St. Augustine right now; anyone else read / reading it?

I have read it, City of God, and many of his treatises and letters. He showed an introspection and depth that many of the other fathers never attained, in my opinion.

Most of Augustine's works and many of the other Greek and Latin fathers can be found in translation at this site:

Early Church Fathers | Christian Classics Ethereal Library

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.