• The General Mental Health Forum is now a Read Only Forum. As we had two large areas making it difficult for many to find, we decided to combine the Mental Health & the Recovery sections of the forum into Mental Health & Recovery as a whole. Physical Health still remains as it's own area within the entire Recovery area.

If you are having struggles, need support in a particular area that you aren't finding a specific recovery area forum, you may find the General Struggles forum a great place to post. Any any that is related to emotions, self-esteem, insomnia, anger, relationship dynamics due to mental health and recovery and other issues that don't fit better in another forum would be examples of topics that might go there.

If you have spiritual issues related to a mental health and recovery issue, please use the Recovery Related Spiritual Advice forum. This forum is designed to be like Christian Advice, only for recovery type of issues. Recovery being like a family in many ways, allows us to support one another together. May you be blessed today and each day.

Kristen.NewCreation and FreeinChrist

Doubts and scared of going to hell.

Ceallaigh

May God be with you and bless you.
Site Supporter
Oct 2, 2020
Seattle area.
✟626,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What's worked for me is continuing to explore scripture and what Christianity has to say about salvation. You have to diligently continue to hammer away at it. Prayer for help is also important. Reach out for help by talking to God often. If you don't communicate with God, you're going to feel isolated from Him, and your fear will persist.

Upvote 0

Sheila Davis

Nov 18, 2020
Houston
✟65,838.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Divorced
I am having doubts so now I’m scared of going to hell. How can I stop doubting the Bible and God’s existence? I am a Christian but I’m going through some doubts if that makes sense

Being a Christian you should already know - and what you know you doubt. It's a personal if I may use the word, battle that you must decide on.
Maybe if you knew that there was evidence that Jesus actually was born and walked the Earth and was crucified by the Romans that would help you to continue to seek the truth. It may give you a boost in your spirit.

Tacitus born 56AD was a Roman senator and historian who wrote of the followers of Christus (Greek name from which the word Christ derived) - he wrote of the crucifixion by the Roman Governor Pontius Pilate in his annals. By 86AD he was 30 years old, so there is a high probability he was an eye witness to some of the events concerning the disciples and Rome.
Jesus Christ proof: Does this First century text prove the existence of Christ?

Suetonius born 69AD was a Roman historian and wrote of the Jewish followers of Chrestus - he spelled with an e instead of an I.
Suetonius (c. AD 69 – c. AD 122) :: Belief and Reason

Josephus born 37AD was a Jew, and said to be a priest. He wrote of Christ and the disciples - there are those who would like to say that it some of his writings is forgery where Christ is concerned, yet there has been no proof.
Regarding the quotes from the historian Josephus about Jesus

Pliny the Younger born 61AD - a Roman governor wrote of his dealings with Christians who sang songs to Christ as if he was a god.
Primary Sources - Letters Of Pliny The Younger And The Emperor Trajan | From Jesus To Christ | FRONTLINE | PBS

One can find the original writings on line if needed.

Maybe if one realizes that Yeshua actually walked the Earth, it may help their belief.
Why would so many people lie about the deeds of Christ.
Christ said the gospel must be preached to all Nations then the end will come. He also said the Gates of hell will not prevail against his church _ the gospel has been spread even the few so called uncontacted tribes have had the opportunity to hear _ and there is a falling away but the church still stands number one in the world. At his birthday it seems if Rome changed from the way they kept time of the years _ year one started.

Upvote 0

Jesse Dornfeld

Slave to Christ
Site Supporter
Oct 11, 2020
Twin Cities
Visit site
✟200,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Doubts can actually serve to make our faith stronger if we can get on the other side of them.

You have to identify if you are having intellectual doubts or emotional doubts. Intellectual doubts can be delt with with apologetics. Emotional doubts are dealt with by reminding yourself of the promises God has for you. Saying prayers of thanks and singing praises to God are two ways to deal with emotional doubts.

Gary Habermas has done some work on the area of doubts, which he admits his doubts were very strong at one point - to the point where he didn't know if he left Christianity at one point or not. He is the leading expert on the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Check the link for more.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNRpgWGKuAcPS8S97dQZ16g/search?query=doubt

Upvote 0

eleos1954

God is Love
Site Supporter
Nov 14, 2017
Utah
✟732,081.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am having doubts so now I’m scared of going to hell. How can I stop doubting the Bible and God’s existence? I am a Christian but I’m going through some doubts if that makes sense

Satan is the one causing your doubts ... cast Him out in the name of the Lord!

Spend time with Jesus through studying His Word DAILY and be in prayer.

James 1:6

But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind.

Jeremiah 29:11-13

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will hear you. You will seek me and find me, when you seek me with all your heart.

2 Timothy 1:7

For God gave us a spirit not of fear but of power and love and self-control.

John 14:1
“Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me.

Joshua 1:9

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”

Romans 8:38-39

For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

1 John 4:18
English Standard Version

18 There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love.

Keep your focus on God's Love!

What Does the Bible Say About God Loves Me?

May the Lord bring peace to your heart. AMEN

Upvote 0

FlorinFrau

Aug 9, 2022
Arlington
Visit site
✟15,245.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I'm so sorry! I still struggle with the burden of guilt for my past sins, and even now struggle with feeling like I should have just done more or better, like I always falls short. I think most of us have a hard time grappling with these things, given our imperfect nature. We also will inevitably feel convicted at times, living in a fallen world and whatnot, and for some of us the conviction can be constant and too much to bear - especially when you struggle with anxiety, trauma, or depression.

What helps me is reading through the Psalms and Gospels. Anytime you feel self-condemned, remember, too, that thanks to Jesus Christ's ultimate sacrifice, we don't have to go out of our way to please God or 'prove ourselves.' He doesn't require any work from you other than your faith and obedience.

Moreover, the only law we should 'worry' about is the Mosaic Law, i.e. the 10 Commandments. And these condensed, upon understanding and keeping up w/ them, simply become: to love God with all our heart and soul (1-5), and to love one another in peace and fairness (6-10), however that may look for you.

Even when we slip, to sin is to "miss the mark." Abba Yah expects us to since he knows we're only human; he doesn't expect perfection from his children/followers. He expects trust in Him, especially when you're feeling scared like this. Pray to him. Don't be afraid to air out your grievances to Him. He wants a personal relationship with you, more than anything, and he knows of our heart conditions already and the struggles we each face in our daily lives, so don't let others tempt you down a negative spiral. There's a lot of religious gaslighting out there, especially nowadays as the spiritual warfare increases in intensity.

Please remember that God is loving, merciful, patient, and ever gracious. He is for us, not against us. Never forget that you belong to Him at the end of the day, regardless of the lies the Ha Satan will tell you.

I wish you peace and success in all that you do. Amen.

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2022
San Diego
✟16,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are a person after my own heart. I, too, have spent my life doubting. I have tried so hard this year to have faith, but it is hard. A few things that have helped me.
1. Get the book "Gently and Lowly: the Heart of Christ for Sinners and Sufferers" by Dane Ortland. He wrote the book because he was afraid of God. The book beautifully lays out the kindness and caring side of Christ. It has helped me immensely, as I have spent my whole life scared of Jesus saying, "Depart from me." Jesus doesnt' want to judge us. He wants to save us. This book showed me that Christ wants me with him.
2. A few verses to keep in mind: John 6:37, "All those the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never drive away." If you come to Christ he will "never" drive you away. Faith is believing that verse even if you are scared of hell. Another verse, Matthew 11:28, "Come unto me all that are weak and heavily laden, and I will give you rest." Jesus is inviting us to him, and is going to be gentle. He says that if we come to him he "will" give us rest. He didn't say, "I will give you rest . . . unless you are still scared of hell."
3. Don't worry about logically figuring out God. I spent 30 years trying that tactic, reading every conceivable Intelligent Design or apologetic book. It was interesing, but didn't do a whole lot. I suddently realized that it will never make sense, but that I can still be accepted by God. When the thought of this all being to hard too comprehend hits me, I just say, "We walk by faith, not by sight." There is nothing in the Bible that says you must comprehend that God created all of this. Thankfully because I can't. Not does he expect me to do so.
4. Jesus says he will "never" forsake us. He didn't say, "I won't forsake you . . . unless you doubt my existence, then all bets are off." He certainly understands how difficult our predicament is.
Hope this helps. The Christian walk is tough. Afterall, in Isaiah 53 it mentions that the Messiah was "a man acquainted with sorrow and grief." Being sad or scared doesn't mean you aren't a Christian. Just keep praying.

Upvote 0