Do you think it's sinful to play video games if...

The Fire Rises

Via, Veritas, Vita
Jul 19, 2012
United States
✟16,918.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Do you think it's sinful to play video games if they dont affect you in a negative way?

Let me just give you an example.

I used to play extremely violent shooting games such as Call of Duty, Battlefield and Red Dead Redemption when I was a bit younger. However, the mindless violence in these games just lost their appeal to me, and I have stopped playing them completely.

Now, think of "old-school" games such as Super Mario games, Luigi's Mansion, Legend of Zelda, etc. THESE are the games that I've started to play in my free time.

Mario: You jump on little mushroom monsters and turtles
Luigi's Manison: You suck up ghosts with a vaccuum cleaner
Legend of Zelda: You use a sword and shield to battle cartoon monsters

So, NOT exactly the same violence level as Call of Duty or Gears of War lol.

Specifically, the only game I really play is Legend of Zelda Windwaker, which is probably the most kid-friendly Zelda game there is.

So if I ONLY play this game in my free time and it's not really a habit, do you think this is sinful? I know some people would say: "Well, if you have free time, shouldnt you be using that time to spend time with God?" Yes, there is a point to that.

But sometimes its nice to just sort of relax your mind after a long day, rather than contemplating the mysteries of the universe and deep life questions as soon as you get home.

I will also say that I make a concious effort to spend time with the Lord each day, and ONLY THEN will I put some time aside for Legend of Zelda.

What do you guys think?

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2012
California
✟48,685.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Lol, i'm almost the same way. No I don't think it's a sin if it doesn't affect you but that all comes down to your personal convictions from God.

I also have made a similar thread but it's about a different game if you wanna look at it here:

http://www.christianforums.com/t7672304/

Upvote 0

TeenageKiddo

Aug 13, 2012
✟15,131.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
In Relationship
A video game is just software. No matter what is in the video game it is not sin. Its just a load of code that does something. How can something that does not affect the user or anyone else be a sin? In fact buying a video game helps the company that made it. So its actually helping someone.

Upvote 0

The Fire Rises

Via, Veritas, Vita
Jul 19, 2012
United States
✟16,918.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
A video game is just software. No matter what is in the video game it is not sin. Its just a load of code that does something. How can something that does not affect the user or anyone else be a sin? In fact buying a video game helps the company that made it. So its actually helping someone.

Well...I've re-considered this question after asking it.

Is it a sin? Maybe, maybe not. I honestly dont know. Is it something Jesus would do if he were in my place? Nope.

It's a waste of time, dont let anyone tell you otherwise. I'm planning on selling all of my xbox games as well as the xbox console itself. The money will be put to good use at my church.

What do we gain from video games? Temporary pleasure at best, mental/spiritual damage at worst. Take my word for it - you will NOT regret getting rid of your games in the long run. Especially if you do it for God.

• Agree
Reactions: Neoma
Upvote 0

GrizzlyMonKeH

Chemical Engineering Undergraduate
Jul 23, 2012
Iowa State University
✟8,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I myself am a mega Zelda fan

You're awesome :thumbsup:

I wouldn't call video games useless. Studies show that playing difficult video games improve cognitive ability in the areas of problem solving and general logic.

Also, I'll copy my post from another thread.

Being an avid gamer, I've dealt with this question before. No action is inherently wrong or sinful. Sex is good in marriage, bad outside of it. Drugs are good in the medical field, bad if abused. God's intention is not for us to be bored. That being said, gaming is a tricky topic.

I think there are two different questions you should ask yourself. These can also be applied to other topics.

#1: Is it taking priority over my faith?
In other words, are you spending way too much time on it, to the point where you have spent less time in the Word, or hanging out with your Christian friends? If the answer is a yes, the solution is easy. Spend less time on it. You don't have to throw it in the garbage, just keep track of how much you do it.

#2: Is it a stumbling block to my faith?
This can be slightly more difficult, and varies from person to person. If you feel that a certain video game is causing you to think more sinfully or lustfully etc., stop playing it and find a different game. However, if it's not noticeably causing you any problems in your faith, I don't think there's a problem with it. Be careful, though. If you really like playing a game and it's damaging your thought patterns (which can manifest into action), you might find yourself making excuses to keep playing it.

Really, you just need to be aware of how certain games affect you, and make a rational decision about what you should and should not play according to your observations.

Upvote 0
Jul 12, 2012
California
✟48,685.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Well...I've re-considered this question after asking it.

Is it a sin? Maybe, maybe not. I honestly dont know. Is it something Jesus would do if he were in my place? Nope.

It's a waste of time, dont let anyone tell you otherwise. I'm planning on selling all of my xbox games as well as the xbox console itself. The money will be put to good use at my church.

What do we gain from video games? Temporary pleasure at best, mental/spiritual damage at worst. Take my word for it - you will NOT regret getting rid of your games in the long run. Especially if you do it for God.

Well I don't think that video games are a complete waste of time. There are some things that you could learn from games, but mostly it is tainted with bad stuff inside it too. Video games (if they are not rated M or T) are mostly harmless to one's faith, but can be a stumbling block for others. It is like taking a walk in the park, it won't really make you closer to God but I don't see how it would make you farther either. It is more of a neutral kind of thing, but i'm glad you gave them up, I haven't played video games in a while either thanks to God. :amen:

Upvote 0

AfanofJesus

Jan 22, 2012
✟15,276.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I think sometimes gaming could be sinful and sometimes not. Although I think most of us would agree that often gaming makes us easily irritated, we get addicted and it be can be very stressful etc. That is a problem. My solution have been to play games way less often, for example since the beginning of 2011 (I wasn't gaming very much during 2010 btw) I have hardly played at all, and when I have not very often, and then I've had a break for a longer time. This has developed an everyday life to me where games are not central, I can easily get rid of it, and I don't long for them too much. This is great in contrast to when I was gaming way more when it could be many hours a day, that was terrible, and it definitely had bad effects. Also it was hard to stop gaming, since it was a habbit - although I have none of these effects now. When I game today I almost exclusively do it with a friend online on skype where the social part is way more important, this makes me get more out of the game, it's not pointless nor useless. Also it's not as often you can game with a good friend as when you do it alone, which helps you to play less.

For example for me, when I have definitely nothing important to do I rather do something creative where an "IRL-skill" is developed, like play guitar. It gives way more satisfaction in the long run and doesn't have any crazy side effects, except for sore fingertips after many hours, for many days in a row... ;)

I agree with The Fire Rises, you wouldn't regret getting rid of your console! I haven't done it myself yet, but I could do it as well, but I use it for more than gaming, hah (excuses...?) so I won't, yet. But doing other stuff in firstplace is definitely something I recommend! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If they aren't your idol, and they don't trump Christ, play on.

Also, I noticed a post of yours above mine after I posted this.

If Jesus were here right now, would He play guitar? Probably not. Does that make it a sin? No. There are many themes in video games God can use to help people out. I became obsessed with kingdom Hearts after moving away form my lifelong friends due to its friendship-based storyline and how no matter the distance or time apart, they are still your friends. God used that to help me out of depression. How was that in any way bad or less glorifying to God?

Now if this has to do with personal conviction, don't let me stop you. I would encourage you to throw away your xbox now if the H.S. is convicting you, but don't make the mistake that a personal conviction makes it a sin to everyone else.

Go in Joy, Brother

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ellissoh

Just another little girl
Sep 15, 2012
chicago
✟15,118.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I feel guilty when I play video games, but I have very bad scrupulosity.

The only time I don't feel guilty playing video games is when I take screenshots and plan on uploading them to facebook, since I have a plug-in for my browser that donates to charity every time I open a new tab.

Upvote 0

ssammoh

Just another kid
Aug 10, 2012
chicago
✟16,019.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why would you want to do anything other than go to church, read the bible, and go on christian forums, unless you have the browser plug in that ellissoh is talking about? That's what I don't understand. I have it too and it's the only way I can use the internet without feeling guilty.

Even cleaning. The only way I can clean without feeling guilty is when I tell myself that my mom will be less stressed out if she does less housework, so it's a way of honoring my parents...sorta.

Upvote 0

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
What about people who have been given talents and desires to make video games or movies for Christ? My friend has that, but should he stop? Everything we do must ultimately glorify God, but it does not have to directly glorify God. How is school glorifying to God? It makes you more capable and knowledgeable about the world God create for us and can equip you with the knowledge to help others. While it does not directly glorify God, in the end it does.

Upvote 0

allykelly07

Rachel
Sep 14, 2012
Fort Garland, CO
✟989.00
Faith
Christian
We are called to preach the gospel of Christ to save souls, not to make movies or video games. Not that playing or watching them is wrong in itself if we are using as an opportunity or enjoyment without being engrossed.
1 Corinthians 6:12 12
“Everything is permissible for me”—but not everything is beneficial. “Everything is permissible for me”—but I will not be mastered by anything.

2 Peter 2:18-20
18 For they mouth empty, boastful words and, by appealing to the lustful desires of sinful human nature, they entice people who are just escaping from those who live in error. 19 They promise them freedom, while they themselves are slaves of depravity—for a man is a slave to whatever has mastered him. 20 If they have escaped the corruption of the world by knowing our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and are again entangled in it and overcome, they are worse off at the end than they were at the beginning.

Psalm 103:2-5
2 Praise the Lord, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits— 3 who forgives all your sins
and heals all your diseases, 4 who redeems your life from the pit and crowns you with love and compassion, 5 who satisfies your desires with good things so that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s.

Romans 8:5-7
5 Those who live according to the sinful nature have their minds set on what that nature desires; but those who live in accordance with the Spirit have their minds set on what the Spirit desires. 6 The mind of sinful man is death, but the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace; 7 the sinful mind is hostile to God. It does not submit to God’s law, nor can it do so.

Romans 13:14
Rather, clothe yourselves with the Lord Jesus Christ, and do not think about how to gratify the desires of the sinful nature.

Just like the first verse said, all things are permissible, but not all things are beneficial. We can use video games if it gives us an opportunity and an open door with someone, or even, our own enjoyment. But it all depends on if we cannot stand under things and keep them from having a hold on us. If we cannot, then do not do it. We shouldn't be engrossed in anything like that. As this verse says:
1 Corinthians 4:4
4 My conscience is clear, but that does not make me innocent. It is the Lord who judges me.
And
1 Corinthians 10:27
If some unbeliever invites you to a meal and you want to go, eat whatever is put before you without raising questions of conscience.

I think of that verse as the same with many things like video games. Because we are seizing the opportunity to maybe bring someone to know the Lord, we should eat what is set before us, and do what they want or eat what they want, so that you have even more of an open door than you would have if you hadn't. But, the Spirit of Christ should be taking the place of us in such a way, that we are being led to speak and do everything, by the Spirit, and not of our flesh, or our own desires.

Reactions: Achilles6129
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Girder of Loins

Future Math Teacher
Dec 5, 2010
United States of America
✟18,961.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We make movies/video games/books/clothing lines to eventually give glory to God. It never describes how we preach, just that we preach. It is very open-ended. It is all based on personal interest. But it goes beyond "personal interest", our "personal interest" must be in line with "God's interest" before it can be to His glory. Once our personal interests(video games, fashion, sports, theology, et cetera) are in line with what God wants, we can begin to glorify Him in our talents.

Upvote 0

GrizzlyMonKeH

Jul 23, 2012
Iowa State University
✟8,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I agree with both Girder_of_Loins and allykelly07.

I'd like to add that being a Christian is more than just "sharing the Gospel". It's a life-long commitment to using your gifts & desires for God's glory. As you pursue the career path and/or passion you feel God is calling you to, you're going to be situated with people that only you can reach. I'm talking about family members, coworkers, and friends. Become a scientist and reach your fellow scientists. Become a musician and reach your fellow musicians / listeners. Become a writer and reach your readers.

Really, a Christian can glorify God with just about any career choice, excluding a few that I care not to mention.

Upvote 0

allykelly07

Rachel
Sep 14, 2012
Fort Garland, CO
✟989.00
Faith
Christian
I agree with both Girder_of_Loins and allykelly07.

I'd like to add that being a Christian is more than just "sharing the Gospel". It's a life-long commitment to using your gifts & desires for God's glory. As you pursue the career path and/or passion you feel God is calling you to, you're going to be situated with people that only you can reach. I'm talking about family members, coworkers, and friends. Become a scientist and reach your fellow scientists. Become a musician and reach your fellow musicians / listeners. Become a writer and reach your readers.

Really, a Christian can glorify God with just about any career choice, excluding a few that I care not to mention.
The gifts from God, are not the same as our own gifts and talents. God gives us spiritual gifts, and if He gives us an outward gift, it is not for fame or making something of ourselves either. Christ is our example, and when He came to this world, He "made Himself of no reputation", so that the glory of God, and only God, might be shown through Him. "God chose the foolish things of this world, to shame the wise and the weak things to shame the strong." "The wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight", we should not, try to obtain the wisdom of this world, but of God's wisdom. From His Spirit. Things that we can't obtain when living by the flesh or to please our flesh. Paul before he came to know Christ, in those days he was considered upright and good in everything that he did. He was very intellectual, and had much knowledge and did many other things besides preaching what he believed. But after he came to know Christ, he considered it all rubbish whatever was to His own profit, it was all meaningless. Then he resolved to know nothing, except Christ and Him crucified.

Philippians 3:1-9
3 Finally, my brothers, rejoice in the Lord! It is no trouble for me to write the same things to you again, and it is a safeguard for you.
2 Watch out for those dogs, those men who do evil, those mutilators of the flesh. 3 For it is we who are the circumcision, we who worship by the Spirit of God, who glory in Christ Jesus, and who put no confidence in the flesh— 4 though I myself have reasons for such confidence. If anyone else thinks he has reasons to put confidence in the flesh, I have more: 5 circumcised on the eighth day, of the people of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; in regard to the law, a Pharisee; 6 as for zeal, persecuting the church; as for legalistic righteousness, faultless.
7 But whatever was to my profit I now consider loss for the sake of Christ. 8 What is more, I consider everything a loss compared to the surpassing greatness of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whose sake I have lost all things. I consider them rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ—the righteousness that comes from God and is by faith.

1 Corinthians 1:17
For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.

2 Timothy 4:2
Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage—with great patience and careful instruction.

The word never says to follow our dreams (or hearts), nor does it say that He uses our desires. Since we have commands to die to our earthly nature, with it's passions and desires. I ask that you take these things to the word, to see if they are true or not. God has given me wisdom from Him, not about everything, but as I am giving myself to Him more and more, then I know more and more that these are not my own words.

Acts 17:11
Now the Bereans were of more noble character than the Thessalonians, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

• Agree
Upvote 0

GrizzlyMonKeH

Jul 23, 2012
Iowa State University
✟8,122.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I'm yet to see Biblical evidence suggesting there is something wrong with learning more about God's creation. In fact, I find the opposite.

Genesis 1:28 Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth

Exodus 31:1-5 The LORD said to Moses, "See, I have called by name Bezalel the son of Uri, son of Hur, of the tribe of Judah, and I have filled him with the Spirit of God, with ability and intelligence, with knowledge and all craftsmanship, to devise artistic designs, to work in gold, silver, and bronze, in cutting stones for setting, and in carving wood, to work in every craft.

Proverbs 25:2 It is the glory of God to conceal things, but the glory of kings is to search things out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

allykelly07

Rachel
Sep 14, 2012
Fort Garland, CO
✟989.00
Faith
Christian
1 John 2:15-17
15 Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him. 16 For everything in the world—the cravings of sinful man, the lust of his eyes and the boasting of what he has and does—comes not from the Father but from the world. 17 The world and its desires pass away, but the man who does the will of God lives forever.

Romans 1:25
25 They exchanged the truth of God for a lie, and worshiped and served created things rather than the Creator—who is forever praised. Amen.

John 15:19
If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.

1 Corinthians 1:19-21
19 For it is written:

“I will destroy the wisdom of the wise;
the intelligence of the intelligent I will frustrate.”
20 Where is the wise man? Where is the scholar? Where is the philosopher of this age? Has not God made foolish the wisdom of the world? 21 For since in the wisdom of God the world through its wisdom did not know him, God was pleased through the foolishness of what was preached to save those who believe.

Upvote 0