Do you ever suspect that nobody else is real?

Jok

Jul 9, 2019
Indiana
✟42,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
What I actually suspect (at times) is that there are other people, but we all exist in our personalized universes with shadow-versions of other people. So in my universe, the shadow-you is loosely inspired by the real-you, but it isn't quite the same and doesn't live the same life. Similarly there is a shadow-me in your universe. At times our universes might have some content that is nearly identical, and sometimes it might be somewhat different. How we behave in our personalized universes might inspire similar behavior or personality of our shadow-selves in the universes of others, so they are somewhat linked together.
I don’t understand the part about watered down shadow versions of themselves. If you have zero knowledge of the other yous in the parallel worlds then wouldn’t all of them be 100% separate from you and be their own conscious Cloudys, yet in alternative sequences of events? And in a way, even if cloned parallel universes were true, so what Godspeed to them all lol. They would be identical to us in all of our inclinations & tendencies, yet still be different instantiations of us.

It seems like they would either fully be their own conscious cloned version of you, or they would be 100% qualia zombies, but no in between. Many people in this world are to the total extreme end of the spectrum of something! So if we do have extremes of people in this world, then we can’t also say that everyone in the world is a watered down person.

Upvote 0

cloudyday2

Generic Theist
Site Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
✟568,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
I don’t understand the part about watered down shadow versions of themselves. If you have zero knowledge of the other yous in the parallel worlds then wouldn’t all of them be 100% separate from you and be their own conscious Cloudys, yet in alternative sequences of events? And in a way, even if cloned parallel universes were true, so what Godspeed to them all lol. They would be identical to us in all of our inclinations & tendencies, yet still be different instantiations of us.

It seems like they would either fully be their own conscious cloned version of you, or they would be 100% qualia zombies, but no in between. Many people in this world are to the total extreme end of the spectrum of something! So if we do have extremes of people in this world, then we can’t also say that everyone in the world is a watered down person.
In other words, in my universe I am interacting with a simulation of you, and in your universe you are possibly interacting with a simulation of me (depending on whether I even exist and still live in your universe).

I control what happens in your universe only in that my personality which I create in my universe is used to inspire the simulated version of me in your universe.

• Informative
Reactions: Jok
Upvote 0

Jok

Jul 9, 2019
Indiana
✟42,261.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
In other words, in my universe I am interacting with a simulation of you, and in your universe you are possibly interacting with a simulation of me (depending on whether I even exist and still live in your universe).

I control what happens in your universe only in that my personality which I create in my universe is used to inspire the simulated version of me in your universe.
Based on what?

I notice that your posts always seem like a bit of a hard inquiry skeptic, if there’s not a satisfactory logical foundation underneath it you ain’t buying it! But unless I’m missing something this theory of yours sounds more like you’re just trying to find your inner James Cameron lol

• Haha
Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0

Jonathan Walkerin

Feb 12, 2019
Stockholm
✟72,396.00
Country
Sweden
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Otherwise how can anybody really love others...if there really is no other?

Not like that is hard concept. Nigerian romance scams are great at creating “people” some fall in love with enough to send their fortune to them without the subject of their love even being real.

Upvote 0

Tone

"Whenever Thou humblest me, Thou makest me great."
Site Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
California
✟61,140.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Not like that is hard concept. Nigerian romance scams are great at creating “people” some fall in love with enough to send their fortune to them without the subject of their love even being real.

Yeah, that's why I said "really love".

I believe that real love has to be mutual at both ends.

Upvote 0

Tiburon

Aug 26, 2020
Perth
✟18,448.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Often I suspect that I am being tested inside a phony universe for unknown reasons. Like maybe other people are only pretending to be people and actually they are angels who can read my mind and orchestrate reality to test my reactions.

Just wondering if this is a common thought. Believing that others can read your mind is a common delusion in mentally ill. I don't believe this, but often the thought crosses my mind. I wonder if this is a common thought in others. Maybe the reason that this is such a common delusion among mentally ill is that this suspicion resides in so many sane people ready to transform from suspicion to delusion under psychological stress.

If this was true, then it would be an interesting religious cosmology that might eliminate some problems. For example "why is life good for some and bad for others?" - they aren't real people and only I am real. It seems odd that there are not some religions claiming this.

We are all you so you should already know the answer.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
If reality is a personal simulation then it would give a relief to certain things about reality, though I have not thought too much about this. I think that it is dangerous to assume that only you are real. I think it is very dehumanizing to the others. I would be scared and offended if I found out that only I and God were real, if he can make others that seem to exist but don't, it hurts my heart. how could I have value and others which seemed like myself not have value? What manner of Psychopathic being am I if I would make so many others that seem like me but that are not real? If it was not a big deal before I did this then I would change my mind and will them to be as I am. but at the same time on some levels I believe that we are all the same person, but the uniqueness of each of us is also something I think is worth preserving and enjoying.

reality could be a personal simulation and others could still be real but what we experience of them could be shadowy copies who can be various kinds of potential of whatever might be required for your own personal reality... but which does not affect the true being of the real person.

I already think that everyone has both an eternal and a creaturely existence. In some way we have always existed in God, as far as I understand things. All of reality does not necessarily have to have a past, present, and future. but I also do not know how to understand something that has some kind of beginning that is not a past, present and future...

It's dangerous for me to believe that only I exist. And besides what naturally happens when you are put in isolation and darkness? You would start talking to other parts of yourself because we are social beings. I assume since we are an image of God that this is how God created multiple persons. Part of the nature of Mind might be Multiplicity.

Upvote 0

Noxot

anarchist personalist
Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2007
dallas, texas
Visit site
✟231,339.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
but in my experience I can definitely say that there are intelligent beings that are not necessarily humans that live through and act through this level of reality, they help to influence what we ourselves become as well.

Atheist dismiss my strangely connected experience of reality as mere coincidence and as that which my brain decides to pay attention to, and to primitive Cope. well obviously my brain has to pay attention to those things or I would not notice them in the first place. If you define a Mystic as a person trying to get deeply in touch with reality then by that very definition they could not be limited to the useful philosophical scientific explanations of reality. There does seem to be a vertical aspect of reality. Something Transcendent can express itself through something lower and that lower thing can be what it is and also be something more at the same time. cause and effect does not have to be limited to a horizontal aspect of reality alone. cause and effect does not have to be limited to only the known mechanisms of this universe. and for science it is still an open question as to whether they know the full workings of what constitutes cause and effect.

Mental disorders are real things but if we view each person as a capacity that can to some measure understand and experience higher parts of reality then sometimes mental disorders could perhaps Aid in a way that a normal mind would be incapable of.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Unqualified

243 God loves me
Site Supporter
Aug 17, 2020
West of Mississippi
✟432,063.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
@above. Like the psalmist of 119 I would never been saved or needed God if it wasn’t for my affliction. But it doesn’t preclude all learning. I then became aware of God and the spiritual world in looking for help. I found the Bible and God, no low things to ignore. Where do you go if you are overwhelmed... to God in one way or another. @Noxot Everyone has capacity and can learn by rote if nothing else and improve. And will power is helpful and desire can focus one to Gods will or whatever. That’s what the world is using for change or betterment. With us also change is slow. It’s better to have affliction and know God then not and be lost.
I don’t know what you meaning by beings in our reality other than angels and demons. I admit they do have an effect on us. But who you are is not important as long as you are true to Christ and His calling. It seems it’s still too ego Centric for me. Not that I’m all that giving. I don’t want to be- the me generation. It’s just about God and obeying his word not being perfect.

Reactions: cloudyday2
Upvote 0