LDS Do LDS believes in a sin nature or original sin?

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟295,427.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
(Pearl of Great Price | Articles of Faith 1:2)

2 We believe that men will be punished for their own sins, and not for Adam's transgression.

So we don't inherit a fallen and broken nature? A nature that predisposes us towards sin?

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
So we don't inherit a fallen and broken nature? A nature that predisposes us towards sin?
We do believe in the fall and also the plan of redemption.

(Pearl of Great Price | Abraham 3:25 - 26)

25 And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them;
26 And they who keep their first estate shall be added upon; and they who keep not their first estate shall not have glory in the same kingdom with those who keep their first estate; and they who keep their second estate shall have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever.

Upvote 0

Ignatius the Kiwi

Dissident
Mar 2, 2013
✟295,427.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
We do believe in the fall and also the plan of redemption.

(Pearl of Great Price | Abraham 3:25 - 26)

25 And we will prove them herewith, to see if they will do all things whatsoever the Lord their God shall command them;
26 And they who keep their first estate shall be added upon; and they who keep not their first estate shall not have glory in the same kingdom with those who keep their first estate; and they who keep their second estate shall have glory added upon their heads for ever and ever.

Doesn't answer my question specifically. I'm talking about the Idea of original sin being the inheritance of Adam's nature, how it is corrupted and prone to sin. I disagree with certain Christians who claim we inherit his own sin, so I am not here arguing for that position. Only the Idea that as we are born we are not free from the consequences of fallen nature and are subject to death and sin.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Doesn't answer my question specifically. I'm talking about the Idea of original sin being the inheritance of Adam's nature, how it is corrupted and prone to sin. I disagree with certain Christians who claim we inherit his own sin, so I am not here arguing for that position. Only the Idea that as we are born we are not free from the consequences of fallen nature and are subject to death and sin.
We did become subject to death and sin as you say. We also became subject to the judgement. That is why it is important for us to fear God enough to keep the commandments. The commandments are guidelines to help us to learn to LOVE as He loves. Jesus said:

(New Testament | John 13:34 - 35)

34 A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another; as I have loved you, that ye also love one another.
35 By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another.

I believe we made the choice to come here and be tested to see if we will do all that God asks of us.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

...yet not I, but the grace of God that is with me
Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟83,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Eternal life according to Mormonism:

“The demands of justice for broken law can be satisfied through mercy, earned by your continual repentance and obedience to the laws of God. Such repentance and obedience are absolutely essential for the Atonement to work its complete miracle in your life.
Apostle Richard D. Scott
The Atonement Can Secure Your Peace and Happiness

Resurrection is free for everyone on earth. Jesus earned the right to be our Savior if we obey.

Reactions: Hrairoo
Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟83,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
“Jesus kept the commandments of his Father and thereby worked out his own salvation, and also set an example as to the way and means whereby all men may be saved.”
Bruce R. MConkie, The Mortal Messiah

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Eternal life according to Mormonism:

“The demands of justice for broken law can be satisfied through mercy, earned by your continual repentance and obedience to the laws of God. Such repentance and obedience are absolutely essential for the Atonement to work its complete miracle in your life.
Apostle Richard D. Scott
The Atonement Can Secure Your Peace and Happiness

Resurrection is free for everyone on earth. Jesus earned the right to be our Savior if we obey.
Eternal life according to the Bible:

(New Testament | Luke 10:25 - 28)

25 ¶ And, behold, a certain lawyer stood up, and tempted him, saying, Master, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
26 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou?
27 And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself.
28 And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live.

Eternal life is NOT free. NOT everyone who is resurrected will have eternal life.

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
“Jesus kept the commandments of his Father and thereby worked out his own salvation, and also set an example as to the way and means whereby all men may be saved.”
Bruce R. MConkie, The Mortal Messiah
Salvation is NOT free either, it requires obedience:

(New Testament | Hebrews 5:9)

9 And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;

Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married
Only Christians can obey Him.

Psalm 119:11
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.
Anyone can obey God even Samaritans:

(New Testament | Luke 17:16 - 19)

16 And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan.
17 And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?
18 There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger.
19 And he said unto him, Arise, go thy way: thy faith hath made thee whole.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟83,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
Anyone can obey God even Samaritans:

(New Testament | Luke 17:16 - 19)

16 And fell down on his face at his feet, giving him thanks: and he was a Samaritan.
17 And Jesus answering said, Were there not ten cleansed? but where are the nine?
18 There are not found that returned to give glory to God, save this stranger.

GOD gave him that faith!

Apart from God we can do nothing. All our works are as filthy rags.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Hrairoo

Prayerfully Searching
Aug 30, 2020
New York
✟14,563.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Constitution
Do LDS believes in a sin nature or original sin?

According to the church website: "Because of the Fall of Adam and Eve, all people live in a fallen condition, separated from God and subject to physical death. However, we are not condemned by what many call the “original sin.” In other words, we are not accountable for Adam’s transgression in the Garden of Eden. ... Through the Atonement, the Savior paid the price for the transgression in the Garden of Eden. He has given us the assurance of resurrection and the promise that, based on our faithfulness, we can return to dwell in the presence of our Heavenly Father forever."

As I was taught in the Eternal Marriage class at BYU-I, there was no death in the Garden and every creature and Adam and Eve were in a state of innocence. They were pure beings. They were given their commandments yet Eve understood that they would always be disobeying one of God's commandments(multiply and replenish the earth) if they kept his other commandment(don't partake of the fruit from the tree of Knowledge of good and evil). The serpent(Satan), as he always does, sprinkles in half-truths mixed with lies to lead us astray, so, had some part in bringing her to this reasoning(as shown in the temple endowments video; Eve, distraught, asks "Is there no other way?" before she takes the fruit from Satan and bites it) .

Mormons believe that the Fall was necessary to bring about the plan of salvation. Otherwise, Adam and Eve would have lived in the Garden perfect and pure, alone, forever. Per LDS belief, God is our Father in a direct sense that he had sex with our Heavenly Mother(s) in the premortal place. So, in Adam and Eve's time, there were unnumbered multitudes of spirit children, all of us, and all who have ever been and will ever live this life, waitng for the Earthly Mother and Father of man to come to the knowledge of their purpose and to start making babies so all us spirit children could come down to have bodies. There is a bit of mental gymnastics done to reconcile the cognitive dissonance of Mormon doctrine on the Fall: God knew that Satan would be on Earth tempting His newly made children, so, knew if he made this rule, the Devil would urge Adam and Eve to break it. Without the Fall, the sacrifice of Christ wouldn't be necessary, yet the only reason they Fell was because "it was part of God's plan."

So, yes, we are prone to sin because of Adam and Eve. However, Mormons believe that 1. It was necessary for the plan to move forward (2 Nephi 2 - "25 Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy." ) and 2. Through Christ and his sacrifice, they can return to heaven and Heavenly Father.

• Winner
Reactions: 1 person
Upvote 0

He is the way

Apr 17, 2018
Murray
✟113,072.00
Country
United States
Faith
Marital Status
Married

GOD gave him that faith!

Apart from God we can do nothing. All our works are as filthy rags.
God did NOT give him that faith he obtained it through hope:

(New Testament | Hebrews 11:1)

1 NOW faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.

(New Testament | Hebrews 11:17 - 33)

17 By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac: and he that had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,
18 Of whom it was said, That in Isaac shall thy seed be called:
19 Accounting that God was able to raise him up, even from the dead; from whence also he received him in a figure.
20 By faith Isaac blessed Jacob and Esau concerning things to come.
21 By faith Jacob, when he was a dying, blessed both the sons of Joseph; and worshipped, leaning upon the top of his staff.
22 By faith Joseph, when he died, made mention of the departing of the children of Israel; and gave commandment concerning his bones.
23 By faith Moses, when he was born, was hid three months of his parents, because they saw he was a proper child; and they were not afraid of the king's commandment.
24 By faith Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter;
25 Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;
26 Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward.
27 By faith he forsook Egypt, not fearing the wrath of the king: for he endured, as seeing him who is invisible.
28 Through faith he kept the passover, and the sprinkling of blood, lest he that destroyed the firstborn should touch them.
29 By faith they passed through the Red sea as by dry land: which the Egyptians assaying to do were drowned.
30 By faith the walls of Jericho fell down, after they were compassed about seven days.
31 By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace.
32 And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets:
33 Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟83,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
You are wrong again! You don't give God credit for His wonderful gifts to man. I can't convince you. Only God can soften a person's heart.

A lot of people hope. They hope and work and die without faith.

Upvote 0

Rescued One

Dec 12, 2002
Midwest
✟83,028.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Widowed
God's Promise:

John 3
17 For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved. 18 He that believeth on him is not condemned: but he that believeth not is condemned already, because he hath not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0