Farmington
✟31,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
The Holy Spirit constantly draws me back to 1 John, and I've heard some preachers even say they have issues with this book, and I notice certain portions of it are rarely preached.

The following is from Arthur W Pink's exposition on 1 John,

"“These things write I unto you, that ye sin not.” The standard of conduct which the Gospel sets before us is no less holy and perfect than that of the Law: no indulging of the flesh is permitted, no self-pleasing tolerated. When our Lord healed the impotent man His word to him was “sin no more” (Joh 5:14); and though it was not then His province to condemn to death the woman taken in adultery, so far from making light of her crime He said “go, and sin no more” (Joh 8:11). Nor was John the only one of the apostles who made this exacting demand upon the Lord’s people. “Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good” (Rom 12:21) said Paul; and again, “Awake to righteousness, and sin not” (1Co 15:34). Likewise Peter, in his first epistle: “But as he which called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation” (1:15). And again, “Dearly beloved, I beseech you as strangers and pilgrims, abstain from fleshly lusts, which war against the soul; having your conversation honest among the Gentiles: that, whereas they speak against you as evildoers, they may by your good works, which they shall behold, glorify God in the day of visitation” (2:11-12).

Everywhere in Scripture the Gospel is represented to be “the doctrine which is according to godliness” (1Ti 6:3), which forbids us to regard sin as the normal element of the Christian life, or even to consider its commission as inevitable. Not only are we to reject with abhorrence the devilish idea that the grace of God and the sacrifice of Christ give license to sin, but we are not even to view them as a provision for the weakness of the flesh. “Sin not” is the peremptory and unqualified demand. It was as though the apostle had said, I would have you so narrowly watch your hearts and ways that no evil might slip into your lives, no wrong thoughts be allowed, no idle words be uttered. I would have you make this your serious and constant aim: not merely that you are to sin as little as you can, but that you are not to sin at all. Great care needs to be taken against lowering or whittling down the exalted standard of moral purity which God has set before us. “Sin not” is not to be restricted unto the commission of merely gross and flagrant offences, nor to open acts in the outward life, but to all inward sinning too.

Each statement of Holy Writ is to be given its full and fair meaning, and is never to be toned down or modified by us. “Sin not” is the standard of excellence which God has set before us, for the Holy One can claim nothing less, and our obligation fully to measure up to the same is beyond contradiction. It is the unabating requirement of the Gospel, for the object of Christ’s death was not only to make atonement for the sins committed by His people, but to supply motives to fortify and restrain their souls against continuing therein (2Co 5:14-15). To sin not is the Christian’s exalted ideal, the earnest pursuit of which is to engage all his faculties and powers. It is what every renewed heart ardently longs to attain unto. Few of our readers will be inclined to call into question the statement that nothing short of complete conformity to the image of Christ should be the daily endeavour of every saint, yet how few appear to make this their fixed resolution and purpose. Nothing short of abstaining from everything which is displeasing to Christ should be the task we set ourselves, and that without any secret reserve. Our eyes are to be fixed on our Rule and not on our infirmities. Say not beforehand a measure of failure is certain, but rather “I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me” (Phi 4:13)."

Now I often run up against believers who formulate all kind of excuses why we must sin, or can't help it, and say because it's in our flesh nature "we're going to sin." That statement right there is cringeworthy. It makes me squirm, not in the normal sense of squirming which is a negative, when one is caught, or trying to hide something, but it's uncomfortable, just like when you plunge a hook into a night crawler and it squirms. Such statements are lies of the devil, and therefore to me are like barbs and hooks, and I reject them in Jesus name. Then I remind the people that Christ calls us to be perfect, and we are to perfect holiness in the fear of the Lord, and John writes unto us that we sin not, and if anyone sins they have neither seen nor known God.

Why is it then, that so so many Christians have been led to believe they must sin and there is no choice but to sin. As a man thinks in his heart, so is he, the Proverbs say, and when you think in your heart that you're gonna sin, and it's inevitable, well, then you're gonna sin. But the Bible tells us not to sin, and plainly so very clear on these matters. IF we sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. That comes after the Word tells us to SIN NOT, and is is then followed by the conditional particle "ean" translated "If," which means "in the event that, " or "in case that" or "in case you do" so it definitely implies that you do not have to sin, and certainly does not infer at all that you definitely are going to sin.

There are too many other portions of 1 John that would refute the argument that you must sin, will sin, are going to sin. Hey, you MIGHT sin, but you don't have to, and if you get in a daily close relationship with God, praying always, and being obedient, and meditating in the Word often, you will find it is possible to "sin not."

I personally believe sins of commissions can be completely overcome, including thoughts. Remember also, a temptation is not sin, nor a tempting thought: it's when you dwell on it and begin to entertain it that it becomes sin. I'd say sins of omission are the more difficult, and elusive to identify, such as not taking an opportunity to share the gospel when you should, or neglecting to help someone in need when you have the capacity to do so.

I know I've shared this in messages before, but repetition is good. We don't just read the Bible once and say "Oh that was a good book" and be done with it. We feed on it, and like food we ingest it daily, and more than once a day, and the variety comes in the different books, chapters, and verses, which should be well balanced. 1 John is like fish or lean meat which is healthy for you and strengthens you with its spiritual protein.

"Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not.
Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.
Whosoever committeth sin transgresseth also the law: for sin is the transgression of the law.
And ye know that he was manifested to take away our sins; and in him is no sin.
Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.
Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous.
He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil.
Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.
In this the children of God are manifest, and the children of the devil: whosoever doeth not righteousness is not of God, neither he that loveth not his brother."

(1 John 2:1-10)

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,943,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Kokavkrystallos, while I do not disagree about a believer's desire and need to be rid of the sin in their lives, interestingly, Pink also had this to say about it,

"It is not the absence of sin but the grieving over it which distinguishes the child of God from empty professors"

Of course, another of his well-known quotes is this one,

“True liberty is not the power to live as we please, but to live as we ought.”

It seems to me that you and Mr. Pink see things a bit differently at some points in regard to a believer and sin (which is why I decided to comment), because as Pink said,
A. W. Pink: "Everywhere in Scripture the Gospel is represented to be “the doctrine which is according to godliness” (1Ti 6:3), which forbids us to regard sin as the normal element of the Christian life, or even to consider its commission as inevitable.
“Sin not” (Pink continues) is the standard of excellence which God has set before us... To sin not is the Christian’s exalted ideal, the earnest pursuit of which is to engage all his faculties and powers. It is what every renewed heart ardently longs to attain unto."
So, what Dr. Pink (and I believe the Bible) sees for true believers as a goal, as a "standard of excellence", as an "exalted ideal", as an "earnest pursuit" and as an "ardent longing", you* seem to see as a necessary reality that must (or at least should) be fully realized by every believer during their lives on this side of the grave.

*(I realize that I may be misinterpreting the meaning of your words, so please correct me if I am. Thanks :))

We are justified and initially sanctified by God at the very moment that we come to saving faith in Him (cf 1 Corinthians 6:11), but His mighty, sanctifying work in us continues nevertheless (e.g. Philippians 1:6) to make us more and more Christlike/less and less sinful throughout the balance of our lives here (we are also called and enabled by God to come alongside of Him in this process, working with Him, then, towards the same end/goal .. e.g. Philippians 2:12-13, as much as we are able to anyway).

There is a bit more that I wanted to say, but I'm going to stop here and wait for you to reply because (as I said above) I realize that I could be way off about what you meant and actually believe.

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - I left a very sinful life to finally became a Christian on 11/2/86. I knew that I was a lost sinner prior to becoming a Christian, of course, but I did not realize how sinful I truly was until I became one, or how VERY displeasing I must have been to the Lord up until that point in time. So, my first thought as a Christian was this, I NEVER want to be displeasing to the Lord like that again, and I haven't been, thanks to Him:amen:

I said this final bit because, going forward, I'd also like to discuss why I believe that delighting ourselves in Him and seeking to do that which is pleasing to Him is a better focus and goal for us to have (practically speaking) than "sin not" is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,943,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
One last thing, here is a short excerpt from an article by Dr. J. I. Packer on Sanctification. I may post more of it later, but I thought that this was worth adding for now.

Sanctification, says the Westminster Shorter Catechism (Q.35), is “the work of God’s free grace, whereby we are renewed in the whole man after the image of God, and are enabled more and more to die unto sin, and live unto righteousness.” The concept is not of sin being totally eradicated (that is to claim too much) or merely counteracted (that is to say too little), but of a divinely wrought character change freeing us from sinful habits and forming in us Christlike affections, dispositions, and virtues.

--David

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟31,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Hello @Kokavkrystallos, while I do not disagree about a believer's desire and need to be rid of the sin in their lives, interestingly, Dr. Pink also had this to say about it,

"It is not the absence of sin but the grieving over it which distinguishes the child of God from empty professors"

Of course, another of his well-known quotes is this one,

“True liberty is not the power to live as we please, but to live as we ought.”

It seems to me that you and Dr. Pink see things a bit differently at some points in regard to a believer and sin (which is why I decided to comment), because as Dr. Pink said,

So, what Dr. Pink (and I believe the Bible) sees for true believers as a goal, as a "standard of excellence", as an "exalted ideal", as an "earnest pursuit" and as an "ardent longing", you* seem to see as a necessary reality that must (or at least should) be fully realized by every believer during their lives on this side of the grave.

*(I realize that I may be misinterpreting the meaning of your words, so please correct me if I am. Thanks :))

We are justified and initially sanctified by God at the very moment that we come to saving faith in Him (cf 1 Corinthians 6:11), but His mighty, sanctifying work in us continues nevertheless (e.g. Philippians 1:6) to make us more and more Christlike/less and less sinful throughout the balance of our lives here (we are also called and enabled by God to come alongside of Him in this process, working with Him, then, towards the same end/goal .. e.g. Philippians 2:12-13, as much as we are able to anyway).

There is a bit more that I wanted to say, but I'm going to stop here and wait for you to reply because (as I said above) I realize that I could be way off about what you meant and actually believe.

God bless you!!

--David
p.s. - I left a very sinful life to finally became a Christian on 11/2/86. I knew that I was a lost sinner prior to becoming a Christian, of course, but I did not realize how sinful I truly was until I became one, or how VERY displeasing I must have been to the Lord up until that point in time. So, my first thought as a Christian was this, I NEVER want to be displeasing to the Lord like that again, and I haven't been, thanks to Him:amen:

I said this final bit because, going forward, I'd also like to discuss why I believe that delighting ourselves in Him and seeking to do that which is pleasing to Him is a better focus and goal for us to have (practically speaking) than "sin not" is.

No, I'm pretty much the same as Mr. Pink, but I believe we should make that our goal, and realize some do not. Truth is there's some that don't even care to struggle against sin, think it's too difficult, think that sin is inevitable, and it's really not. Just our modern times have so watered down Gods holiness that many professors see sin as inevitable every day of their life.
1 John 2:1, these things write I unto you that ye sin not. That's an absolute. and Then he goes on, "and if anyone sin we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous." there's that "if" - not "when" It does not say when we sin as if its an absolute inevitable, but if.

Reactions: St_Worm2
Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,943,767.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @Kokavkrystallos, thank you for your reply. I've been enjoying reading a number of your posts recently, but I had a question or two about what you said in this one (obviously) and am glad to find that we are on the same page.

Blessings to you in Christ!!

--David

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟31,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Hello @Kokavkrystallos, thank you for your reply. I've been enjoying reading a number of your posts recently, but I had a question or two about what you said in this one (obviously) and am glad to find that we are on the same page.

Blessings to you in Christ!!

--David

I just got a hard copy of John Owens Mortification of Sin today, and in it is this little bit:

"The choicest believers, who are assuredly freed from the condemning power of sin, ought yet to make it their business all their days to mortify the indwelling power of sin."
and,
"The Greek word for “deeds of the body” is praxeis, which indeed denotes chiefly the outward actions, “the works of the flesh,” as they are called in Galatians 5:19; which are there said to be “manifest,” and are enumerated. Now, though the outward deeds alone are here expressed, yet the inward and next (nearest) causes are chiefly intended. The axe is to be “laid to the root of the trees” (Mat 3:10). The deeds of the flesh are to be mortified in their causes from which they spring."

This is from

Chapter 1
An Exposition of Romans 8:13

For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
—Romans 8:13

Upvote 0

Kokavkrystallos

Jan 1, 2024
Farmington
✟31,567.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Widowed
Interesting how the Holy Spirit confirms things and dovetails into messages. I also got Spurgeon's sermon today Perseverance In Holiness, and am working back and forth between the two books. I ordered these books May 2nd. Again I came across things that have application to this topic:

"It is needful, before we enter heaven, that we should be holy; but the Lord sanctifies us through the Word, and worketh in us to will and to do of His own good pleasure. All that is required is also supplied. If there be, anywhere in the Word of God, any act or grace mentioned as though it were a condition of salvation, it is in another Scripture described as a covenant gift which will be bestowed upon the heirs of salvation by Christ Jesus. So that the condition, which might seem to put the covenant in danger, is so surely provided for, that thence ariseth no flaw or fracture."
Chapter 1, The Everlasting Covenant

"How, then, are they preserved? Well, not as some falsely talk, as though we preached that the man who is converted may live as he likes. We have never said so; we have never even thought so. The man who is converted cannot live as he likes; or, rather, he is so changed by the Holy Spirit, that if he could live as he likes, he would never sin, but live an absolutely perfect life. Oh, how deeply do we long to be kept clear of every sin! We preach not that men may depart from God and yet live; but that they shall not depart from Him."
Chapter 3,
The Persevering People of the Covenant

Upvote 0