David and Goliath, or me and my fleshy mind?

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul said that he didn't judge himself but waited on God to judge. How is it that this man the apostle Paul who built churches and judges them doesn't judge himself? It's a mystery, is it not?

It means that Paul seen his own mind as his enemy. In my opinion anyway. He had a messenger of Satan torment him. He called it a thorn in his flesh. He said that he and the apostles were out of their minds for God at timeS. Paul said that there was nothing good in his flesh.

So I wonder if Goliath doesn't represent our mind and pride? Paul said to be wise we must become foolish in the world's eyes. He said that the natural man cannot understand spiritual things. There is a war between flesh and spirit.

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟109,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Paul said that he didn't judge himself but waited on God to judge. How is it that this man the apostle Paul who built churches and judges them doesn't judge himself? It's a mystery, is it not?

It means that Paul seen his own mind as his enemy. In my opinion anyway. He had a messenger of Satan torment him. He called it a thorn in his flesh. He said that he and the apostles were out of their minds for God at timeS. Paul said that there was nothing good in his flesh.

So I wonder if Goliath doesn't represent our mind and pride? Paul said to be wise we must become foolish in the world's eyes. He said that the natural man cannot understand spiritual things. There is a war between flesh and spirit.

Well, that's an interesting comparison, between David and Goliath! We are not told that, but nonetheless, I find it an interesting comparison.

Yes, Paul suffered a thorn in his flesh because, he said, God had given him many great gifts. He had to be kept humble, or he would suffer disqualification as an apostle. To lead others he had to learn to follow God, even if it meant suffering the humility of seeming to not have God's blessing. He probably suffered a serious eye ailment.

Paul refused to judge others if he did not hear from God. He refused to judge strictly by appearances. But he did in fact pass judgment in the sense of pointing out problems within the church.

For example, in 1 Corinthians we read this....

1 Cor 5.12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”

This should put to rest any notion that Christians cannot judge. It is often quoted by sinners that Christians are told "judge not, lest you be judged." But they are just trying to avoid moral responsibilities.

Jesus was talking about hypocritical judging, when people judge out of a condemning spirit, and not connected to divine love and revelation. We should never judge out of our "flesh," but only as the Spirit leads us by God's grace.

But in matters of discipline within the church we are indeed to use the gifts of the Spirit to discern when to take responsibility over the condition of the church, and not let sin take place without concern. If we allow sin in our midst it will grow like gangrene and affect all.

When we judge let us do so in obedience to the word of God in our soul so that we judge properly, in accordance with the Gospel and not out of spite or out of some carnal concern. But let us fear God if we refuse to deal with sin. When He prompts us to deal with sin we must not fear Man, but must responsibly address it. If we would be "prophets," we must obey God and not Man.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, that's an interesting comparison, between David and Goliath! We are not told that, but nonetheless, I find it an interesting comparison.

Yes, Paul suffered a thorn in his flesh because, he said, God had given him many great gifts. He had to be kept humble, or he would suffer disqualification as an apostle. To lead others he had to learn to follow God, even if it meant suffering the humility of seeming to not have God's blessing. He probably suffered a serious eye ailment.

Paul refused to judge others if he did not hear from God. He refused to judge strictly by appearances. But he did in fact pass judgment in the sense of pointing out problems within the church.

For example, in 1 Corinthians we read this....

1 Cor 5.12 What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? 13 God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”

This should put to rest any notion that Christians cannot judge. It is often quoted by sinners that Christians are told "judge not, lest you be judged." But they are just trying to avoid moral responsibilities.

Jesus was talking about hypocritical judging, when people judge out of a condemning spirit, and not connected to divine love and revelation. We should never judge out of our "flesh," but only as the Spirit leads us by God's grace.

But in matters of discipline within the church we are indeed to use the gifts of the Spirit to discern when to take responsibility over the condition of the church, and not let sin take place without concern. If we allow sin in our midst it will grow like gangrene and affect all.

When we judge let us do so in obedience to the word of God in our soul so that we judge properly, in accordance with the Gospel and not out of spite or out of some carnal concern. But let us fear God if we refuse to deal with sin. When He prompts us to deal with sin we must not fear Man, but must responsibly address it. If we would be "prophets," we must obey God and not Man.
The church should judge itself but it doesn't. It's full of divided Republicans and democrats. Jesus isn't divided however

Upvote 0

RandyPNW

Jun 8, 2021
Pacific NW, USA
✟109,718.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The church should judge itself but it doesn't. It's full of divided Republicans and democrats. Jesus isn't divided however
Political parties can indicate division, for sure. But it does not in all cases demand this conclusion. I was raised Democrat in a Christian family, and converted to Republican at the time of the Vietnam War. I wanted to pull out of a foreign war without showing any support for Communist aggressions. Nixon did that.

Today, the Democrat Party is heavily infested with progressivism and social libertinism. Abortion, Transgenderism, hostility between Black and White, open doors to pagans abroad--all these things are pagan, in my view. And conservative Christians have been fleeing that party.

Some Christians, however, feel that women's rights, minority rights, and separation of church and state, are issues that best represent Christian interests. It is thought that the Democrat Party is the party of compassion, aiding the poor, and depreciating American exceptionalism.

These things are a matter for churches and individuals to make clear so that the average person can decide how to vote. Engaging in our democracy is a responsibility, in my opinion.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Political parties can indicate division, for sure. But it does not in all cases demand this conclusion. I was raised Democrat in a Christian family, and converted to Republican at the time of the Vietnam War. I wanted to pull out of a foreign war without showing any support for Communist aggressions. Nixon did that.

Today, the Democrat Party is heavily infested with progressivism and social libertinism. Abortion, Transgenderism, hostility between Black and White, open doors to pagans abroad--all these things are pagan, in my view. And conservative Christians have been fleeing that party.

Some Christians, however, feel that women's rights, minority rights, and separation of church and state, are issues that best represent Christian interests. It is thought that the Democrat Party is the party of compassion, aiding the poor, and depreciating American exceptionalism.

These things are a matter for churches and individuals to make clear so that the average person can decide how to vote. Engaging in our democracy is a responsibility, in my opinion.
It's my responsibility to seek the kingdom not America. I don't need or want politics. Don't try to say it's my responsibility. I have nothing to do with that mess.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

I'm not even perfect myself. It's not my job to Lord over others people's lives.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟9,341.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Paul said that he had nothing to do with judging outsiders but this modern church of Republicans and Democratics know better than Paul.

Upvote 0