Christian Researcher Debunks 'Urban Myth' About 50% US Divorce Rate: 71% Are Still Married!

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,763,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
For years, an urban legend has survived because it has been accepted as fact by many people – the myth that half of all marriages end in divorce.

So if you're getting married for the first time, the odds are even, right? 50/50? No. Nope. Nada. It's what would be called "disinformation" by some today. And the myth about a 50 percent divorce rate in the church is an even bigger lie.

One Christian author and social researcher Shaunti Feldhahn says the true divorce rate is much lower and always has been.

She has extensively researched the public perception of the 50% myth about divorce, trying to find its original source. And to her pleasant surprise, she couldn't find any.

She confessed to KLOVE that she had believed the myth too.

"When I started looking at the Census Bureau tables and CDC tables, and the Bureau of Vital Statistics – that's when I was like – 'wait a minute this does not match the narrative at all,'" Feldhahn explained.

She didn't just spend one afternoon in the local library looking into the subject. Her quest took her the next eight years, according to KLOVE.

Continued below.

• Informative
Reactions: Hazelelponi

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
For years, an urban legend has survived because it has been accepted as fact by many people – the myth that half of all marriages end in divorce.

So if you're getting married for the first time, the odds are even, right? 50/50? No. Nope. Nada. It's what would be called "disinformation" by some today. And the myth about a 50 percent divorce rate in the church is an even bigger lie.

One Christian author and social researcher Shaunti Feldhahn says the true divorce rate is much lower and always has been.

She has extensively researched the public perception of the 50% myth about divorce, trying to find its original source. And to her pleasant surprise, she couldn't find any.

She confessed to KLOVE that she had believed the myth too.

"When I started looking at the Census Bureau tables and CDC tables, and the Bureau of Vital Statistics – that's when I was like – 'wait a minute this does not match the narrative at all,'" Feldhahn explained.

She didn't just spend one afternoon in the local library looking into the subject. Her quest took her the next eight years, according to KLOVE.

Continued below.
I think one way to reconcile the 71% and the 50% is to consider how some people have multiple divorces. Most marriages survive but some people fail multiple times. Could that be it?

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,763,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think one way to reconcile the 71% and the 50% is to consider how some people have multiple divorces. Most marriages survive but some people fail multiple times. Could that be it?
I’m not sure. I’m not good with these types of things. One thing I do think that is happening in these stats about marriage is that they are skewed to always assume the worst when it comes to marriage. Why? We are not exactly family friendly anymore.

Upvote 0

chevyontheriver

Site Supporter
Sep 29, 2015
Flyoverland
✟1,256,821.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I’m not sure. I’m not good with these types of things. One thing I do think that is happening in these stats about marriage is that they are skewed to always assume the worst when it comes to marriage. Why? We are not exactly family friendly anymore.
I don’t know either. Most people don’t get divorced. Some get divorced multiple times.

I like the idea of covenant marriage. I think marriage preparation should concentrate on the permanence of marriage. Get them to the point that they know they likely will never qualify for an annulment and then see if they dare to be married.

Of course pope Francis said most marriages are flawed and annullable. And most annulments are granted I think. And now with Fiducia supplicans and Amoris Leticia we are even good without annulments.

• Agree
Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,763,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don’t know either. Most people don’t get divorced. Some get divorced multiple times.

I like the idea of covenant marriage. I think marriage preparation should concentrate on the permanence of marriage. Get them to the point that they know they likely will never qualify for an annulment and then see if they dare to be married.

Of course pope Francis said most marriages are flawed and annullable. And most annulments are granted I think. And now with Fiducia supplicans and Amoris Leticia we are even good without annulments.
The question really is why the topic of marriage seems to be so skewed. I think a lot of singles today have been hobbled by the polls, stats, opinions, concerning marriage. Add the things fed to them concerning you do not need a spouse to do this or that. Child rearing comes to mind. I think you can see why they’re or so many unrealistic videos on YouTube concerning marriage, home, and being single and people gobble them up without question. Dating apps… :rolleyes: We are not dealing with reality anymore. Commitment is scary proposition for most and more and more people are unwilling to do it. Many look for things that are not there in another when they meet and will not there yet until one lives it. Qualities that will only develop after time in a committed marriage of two people growing together. Anyone can talk a good game in the midst of infatuation and fantasies.

The romanticized content being fed to the masses is not doing anyone any favors. So they continue to wait for that fairy tale to their detriment.

Last edited:
Upvote 0