Marrying a non Christian girl / Corinthians discussion (help!!!)

May 8, 2024
Ontario
✟715.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What do you mean by 'valid' is murder 'valid' ???

You admit you don't understand, then judge my offering as absurd !

Check the Greek - no mention of the Greek word 'Eros' in the Song of Solomon in the Septuagint.

The issue is that any serious believer will want God's love to control all aspects of life not lust which He despises. Lust is self centred, Agape (God's Love) is God centred.

Romantic attraction in God's order is not selfish and lustful.

Bringing lust into marriage is contributing to our high incidence of marriage breakdown.
Valid means reasonable. I'd say because of how often it's mentioned, and how plainly it's spelt out, murder is in fact not valid. You were dismissing something based on the fact of it's absence in the NT, and your rebuttal is to bring up something that's heavily touched upon and mentioned as being an infraction? How do the two equate?

The actual word Eros isn't used directly in the OT, that wasn't my point, but the Song of Solomon is a standing example of its exact definition. The word Agape isn't used in the original OT either, but the definition is there as well. Because the definitions are there, the words fit.

In the context of romantic relationships I'd assert that a combination of Agape and Eros are important. Is God not the designer of the basic sexual system that's in place? Agape can go hand in hand with other types of love as well, it's not exclusive.

The only real issue I have is your opening statement which reads as an outright dismissal of the concept, and closing with your remarks about lust reads as though you're condemning the sexual side of things as such. This all hinges on the post you were responding to in the first place, which pertains to reasons to get married, even though that posters claim that "romantic love/desire is not why you get married" is mental gymnastics-tier nonsense.

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟382,326.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Valid means reasonable. I'd say because of how often it's mentioned, and how plainly it's spelt out, murder is in fact not valid. You were dismissing something based on the fact of it's absence in the NT, and your rebuttal is to bring up something that's heavily touched upon and mentioned as being an infraction? How do the two equate?

The actual word Eros isn't used directly in the OT, that wasn't my point, but the Song of Solomon is a standing example of its exact definition. The word Agape isn't used in the original OT either, but the definition is there as well. Because the definitions are there, the words fit.

In the context of romantic relationships I'd assert that a combination of Agape and Eros are important. Is God not the designer of the basic sexual system that's in place? Agape can go hand in hand with other types of love as well, it's not exclusive.

The only real issue I have is your opening statement which reads as an outright dismissal of the concept, and closing with your remarks about lust reads as though you're condemning the sexual side of things as such. This all hinges on the post you were responding to in the first place, which pertains to reasons to get married, even though that posters claim that "romantic love/desire is not why you get married" is mental gymnastics-tier nonsense.

Part of having Jesus as Lord of your life is to be desiring your every motivation to be inspired by His indwelling presence and to be rejecting the desires of the flesh.

The sins of the flesh are listed, and lust features as a motivation God hates.

Agape is God's Love, not human love.

Sexual life in submission to and under the Agape motivation of God's Spirit is Holy and Righteous.

Sexual life driven by the flesh is self centred and self serving.

This extends to the choice of a marriage partner - with His help one can avoid years of suffering and pain as He alone knows hearts and what will work. He has warned us about unequal yokes in life - best to take His advice.

Original Greek: ἔρως (érōs) Eros is physical love or sexual desire. Eros is the type of love that involves passion, lust, and/or romance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
May 8, 2024
Ontario
✟715.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Part of having Jesus as Lord of your life is to be desiring your every motivation to be inspired by His indwelling presence and to be rejecting the desires of the flesh.

The sins of the flesh are listed, and lust features as a motivation God hates.

Agape is God's Love, not human love.

Sexual life in submission to and under the Agape motivation of God's Spirit is Holy and Righteous.

Sexual life driven by the flesh is self centred and self serving.

This extends to the choice of a marriage partner - with His help one can avoid years of suffering and pain as He alone knows hearts and what will work. He has warned us about unequal yokes in life - best to take His advice.

Original Greek: ἔρως (érōs) Eros is physical love or sexual desire. Eros is the type of love that involves passion, lust, and/or romance.
Desire for romance or physical affection within a monogamous marriage is NOT listed as a sin of the flesh. Sexual attraction does not equate to lust in all cases, that's nonsense. You are making broad sweeping statements without clarifying them, what are you trying to argue? Seeking romantic love is acting upon our innate desire that God himself has planted within us.

Agape love is only a part of the equation, it has it's place and is contextual, it's not an exclusive label and is not the sole motivator of absolutely everything. A sexual life driven by the flesh is quantified as being outside of marriage in ALL cases, it's not referring to within a marital context. Husbands and wives sometimes engage in sex explicitly for their own sake, whether it be bonding with your partner, pleasure, whatever have you and that has NEVER been discouraged in the text.

Physical love and sexual desire are mechanisms designed by God, stop trying to downplay and deny them. Eros doesn't automatically mean lust in all cases, it's contextual. If you sexually desire your wife, that's not lust, though it could be classified as such in extreme cases.

Again, what is your point? Is it not enough that we take up our cross without people taking up the self appointed role of arbiter of what's acceptable and trying to unnecessarily burden others? Why try to add to the list of infractions?

Upvote 0

Carl Emerson

Dec 18, 2017
Auckland
✟382,326.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Sexual attraction does not equate to lust in all cases, that's nonsense.
Who said that ???
Agape love is only a part of the equation, it has it's place and is contextual,

You are welcome to your opinion - for me I encourage His sovereignty and Agape Love to motivate every area of life.

Bringing lust into marriage will very likely result in a failed marriage.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

4defaith2017

Sep 3, 2017
Minneapolis
✟19,904.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
since you haven't written that there was no conviction about 'being sexual' (in the first paragraph). maybe you weren't a true blue believer in the first place. Gen. 34 verse one, Shechem and Dinah. once Shechem had violated Dinah. he had wanted to cling to her. Since you have sexual relations with her. You have become one flesh with her and may as well marry her. End of story. thanks.

Upvote 0