✟103,022.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
King James Bible, 1 Cor 13:

4 Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up.
Some centuries ago, the KJ translators decided to translate the Greek agape to the English word "charity".

Recently, New King James Version updated it:

Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up.
English Standard Version:

Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant.

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟167,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Some centuries ago, the KJ translators decided to translate the Greek agape to the English word "charity".

Cool stuff. I use the ESV and NIV.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟803,750.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

Cool stuff. I use the ESV and NIV.
I grew up on the KJV, but not KJV-Only. Also the old Reina Valera (spanish) and thanked God for updated versions. The KJV was not hard to understand, being taught by Christians the meaning of the archaic words, but I still don't understand why someone would prefer it. Yes, there are some passages where it may be the most beautiful, but not many. My mom said the sound of it induced her to worship, (or words to that effect), but to me the content is what does that, though I admit that the poetry of Job's words, and David's, and Asaph's can reduce me to tears in some versions, but not in others. I memorized a lot of the KJV and that's probably why I enjoy others, including the 1977 NIV, because of the differences.

Upvote 0

ValeriyK2022

Jun 13, 2022
Kyiv region
✟58,531.00
Country
Ukraine
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I used the Church Slavonic translation, the Russian Synodal and the Ukrainian. All Slavic translations made from ancient Greek over the past 1200 years translate "agape" as "love".

The interpretations only explain that there are different types of love: for food, marital, for the homeland, for parents, brothers and friends, for neighbors, for pets, etc. These types of love are translated by different Greek words.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟167,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I grew up on the KJV, but not KJV-Only. Also the old Reina Valera (spanish) and thanked God for updated versions. The KJV was not hard to understand, being taught by Christians the meaning of the archaic words, but I still don't understand why someone would prefer it. Yes, there are some passages where it may be the most beautiful, but not many. My mom said the sound of it induced her to worship, (or words to that effect), but to me the content is what does that, though I admit that the poetry of Job's words, and David's, and Asaph's can reduce me to tears in some versions, but not in others. I memorized a lot of the KJV and that's probably why I enjoy others, including the 1977 NIV, because of the differences.
I like the NKJV as well. :) ESV, NIV, NSRV-CE and NKJV are like the big four favorite Bibles for me. The book of Job is something I need to get back into, it is important for all of us.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

tonychanyt

24/7 Christian
Oct 2, 2011
Toronto
Visit site
✟103,022.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the references. To save the effort of your readers, this is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
  1. Give the source/citation.
  2. Provide the URL link to the source if available.
  3. Indent the quoted text.
  4. Bold the relevant keywords that are important to the point that you are making.
  5. Be concise and to the point.
I do this for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee it will sharpen your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it. I prefer to debate with people who do.

Upvote 0

ValeriyK2022

Jun 13, 2022
Kyiv region
✟58,531.00
Country
Ukraine
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the references. To save the effort of your readers, this is how to do referencing in a scholarly manner:
  1. Give the source/citation.
  2. Provide the URL link to the source if available.
  3. Indent the quoted text.
  4. Bold the relevant keywords that are important to the point that you are making.
  5. Be concise and to the point.
I do this for others who read my posts. It is a standard high-school scholarship. If you practice this, I guarantee it will sharpen your analytical thinking. In any case, no one is required to do it. I prefer to debate with people who do.
The main point in my message was that from the 9th century until the 20th century, the Slavic translations used the word “love”, not “mercy” or “charity”. Although this was done in a different religious tradition - Eastern Orthodox.

Church Slavonic translation: "Любы долготерпитъ, милосeрдствуетъ, любы не завидитъ, любы не превознсится, не гордится" Первое послание св. апостола Павла к Коринфянам на церковнославянском языке. The "Любы" word is translated into English as "love". This translation (with minor regional variations) has been used in services in churches in Bulgaria, Serbia, Montenegro, Ukraine and Russia from the 9th century to the present day.

Russian translation of the 19th century (Synodal): "Любовь долготерпит, милосердствует, любовь не завидует, любовь не превозносится, не гордится...". The "Любовь" word is translated into English as "love".

Ukrainian translation: "Любов довготерпить, любов милосердствує, не заздрить, любов не величається, не надимається...". The "Любовь" word is translated into English as "love".

That is, all traditional Slavic translations, starting from the 9th century, translated this word as love. But in the interpretations they wrote that “agape” and “eros” are different types of love.

Here is one interpretation: “The Greek word agape is used primarily in the New Testament to describe divine love. It is the word that the Apostle Paul uses in Galatians 5:22 when he says that “the fruit of the Spirit is love...” This is the highest stage of love, there is no love better, purer, higher and higher than agape love.

Moreover, the word agape is so deep, polysemantic and multifaceted that it is one of the most difficult words to understand in the New Testament. Its translation has always caused difficulties. However, I am trying to clarify its meaning.

Agape love involves recognizing, understanding, and appreciating someone. He treats the object of his love with great respect, respect, camaraderie, pure motives, awe, delight and amazement. Selfless love for this person, deep respect awakens in his heart, and he can no longer help but love him. His love is so strong that it will not overcome anything or anyone.

The best example of the use of agape love in the New Testament is found in 1 John 3:16: “For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten Son, who always believed in him, who does not perish but has eternal life.” " The Lord looked at humanity with reverence, although people were mired in sins. God admired man, admired him, and held him in high esteem. Humanity was at that moment in captivity of Satan, but still God saw His likeness in people. He values the person so much and loves him so much that he wanted to do everything possible to save him. Agape love prompted God to create." More details here: Что такое любовь АГАПЕ? - Твоя Библия

"Agape is sublime, pure and selfless love. Eros is sensual and passionate love. Philia – friendly love, sympathy and acceptance. Storge is kindred, family love.". More details here: Сколько видов любви знали греки?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums