✟93,370.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 14:

4 you will take up this taunt against the king of Babylon: How the oppressor has come to an end! How his fury has ended!
12 How you have fallen from heaven, morning star, son of the dawn! You have been cast down to the earth, you who once laid low the nations!
O Morning Star,
הֵילֵ֣ל (hê·lêl)
Noun - masculine singular
Strong's 1966: The morning-star

The LXX word for H1966 is εωσφόρος.

The morning star refers to the king of Babylon. Some interpret it as a symbol for Satan, as the king of Babylon is a type of Satan.

Latin: Vulgata Clementina:

Quomodo cecidisti de cælo, Lucifer, qui mane oriebaris ? corruisti in terram, qui vulnerabas gentes?
King James Bible:

How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! how art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations!
Merriam-Webster:

Lucifer has been in the English language for a very long time, and has not solely carried the meaning of "Satan." The word comes from a Latin root—lucifer, in Latin, means "light-bearing"—and has also been used by poets to refer to Venus, the morning star.
Now, in the NT, ESV 2 Peter 1:

19 And we have the prophetic word more fully confirmed, to which you will do well to pay attention as to a lamp shining in a dark place, until the day dawns and the morning star rises in your hearts,
morning star
φωσφόρος (phōsphoros)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular Strong's 5459: (lit: light-bearing), radiant, the morning-star. From phos and phero; light-bearing, i.e., the morning-star.

G5459 appears exactly once in the Bible.

Note the resemblance of εωσφόρος and φωσφόρος.

Vulgate decided to translate G5459 as

Et habemus firmiorem propheticum sermonem : cui benefacitis attendentes quasi lucernæ lucenti in caliginoso donec dies elucescat, et lucifer oriatur in cordibus vestris :
This time, King James Bible did not follow Vulgate:

We have also a more sure word of prophecy; whereunto ye do well that ye take heed, as unto a light that shineth in a dark place, until the day dawn, and the day star arise in your hearts:
Now, the day star (lucifer) symbolizes Jesus.

Did the Vulgate lucifer mean Satan or Jesus?

Neither.

There is yet a third expression for the term moring star. Revelation 22:

16 “I, Jesus, have sent my angel to give you this testimony for the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the bright Morning Star.”
Morning
πρωϊνός (prōinos)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 4407: Belonging to the morning, early. From proi; pertaining to the dawn, i.e. Matutinal.

Star
ἀστὴρ (astēr)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 792: A star. Probably from the base of stronnumi; a star, literally or figuratively.

This Morning Star symbolizes Jesus.

Lucifer = Satan?

I would not interpret lucifer that way. The word was neither Hebrew nor Greek. It was Latin. I prefer to stick to the wording of the Scripture. "Lucifer" is not Scriptural. The Hebrew word for Satan (H7854) does not even appear anywhere in the book of Isaiah.

Also, see the role of satan.

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟1,669.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Isaiah 14:

O Morning Star,
הֵילֵ֣ל (hê·lêl)
Noun - masculine singular
Strong's 1966: The morning-star

The LXX word for H1966 is εωσφόρος.

The morning star refers to the king of Babylon. Some interpret it as a symbol for Satan, as the king of Babylon is a type of Satan.

Latin: Vulgata Clementina:

King James Bible:

Merriam-Webster:

Now, in the NT, ESV 2 Peter 1:

morning star
φωσφόρος (phōsphoros)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular Strong's 5459: (lit: light-bearing), radiant, the morning-star. From phos and phero; light-bearing, i.e., the morning-star.

G5459 appears exactly once in the Bible.

Note the resemblance of εωσφόρος and φωσφόρος.

Vulgate decided to translate G5459 as

This time, King James Bible did not follow Vulgate:

Now, the day star (lucifer) symbolizes Jesus.

Did the Vulgate lucifer mean Satan or Jesus?

Neither.

There is yet a third expression for the term moring star. Revelation 22:

Morning
πρωϊνός (prōinos)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 4407: Belonging to the morning, early. From proi; pertaining to the dawn, i.e. Matutinal.

Star
ἀστὴρ (astēr)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 792: A star. Probably from the base of stronnumi; a star, literally or figuratively.

This Morning Star symbolizes Jesus.

Lucifer = Satan?

I would not interpret lucifer that way. The word was neither Hebrew nor Greek. It was Latin. I prefer to stick to the wording of the Scripture. "Lucifer" is not Scriptural. The Hebrew word for Satan (H7854) does not even appear anywhere in the book of Isaiah.

Also, see the role of satan.
Lucifer is a Transliteration... and genuinely worthless, biblically.

Satan is a morning Star, or Angel. (Think of the Dragon tail that rips Stars from Heaven) The proper rendering of this Hebrew is actually as a navigational star that guides sailors. Because of this verse being about someone wicked, we know that it reveals the Proud one. Jesus is God and this very verse has this "Being" scheming to BE LIKE GOD.

Now.... contrast this with the TRUE Nautical Guide.... Revelation 22:16

“I, Jesus, have sent Mine angel to testify unto you these things in the churches. I am the Root and the Offspring of David, and the Bright and Morning Star.

Satan is a FALSE GUIDE, while Jesus is the TRUE GUIDE. Jesus is the BRIGHT Morning Star.

This doesn't mean Jesus is an "Angel". It merely means that Jesus is the Messenger of YH-H with the very name of YHWH written within Him, which of coarse by Hebrew poetry, means that Jesus is God the Messenger of God, or the very PHYSICAL PRESENCE of God... OR... as we like to say, per Scripture. Jesus is the Son of God and God the Son.

Jesus is likened unto the very effulgence of the glory of the Inner Room (Most Holy Place).

To expound even more specifically, in Job's eyes, God is the one afflicting him, yet Job charges God with no evil. Yet, we find out that Satan is Lying to God, through the use of False accusations, and God is honoring Satan's position in Heaven, by giving Satan authority over Job. God rebukes Satan's accusations from Job 1, when Satan returns to heaven, in Job 2.

Satan desires to be seen as "GOD"... when he is just a Created Being that is attempting to Overthrow God. I, personally believe this is one of scriptures most important points, because Satan is perpetually trying to Mar God's Character. There are verses that speak of terrible things happening because of Satan, then, elsewhere, referring to identical matters, God is attributed with those actions.

The root of the confusion is revealed in the New Testament. Satan wasn't cast out of Heaven until AFTER the Ascension of Jesus to Heaven. (Revelation 12) I just wrote on this in the 5th part of an OP series I am writing.... I"ll link it. Part 5 of an OP series Link

I haven't done Isaiah 14:14 because it takes so much systematic Exposition to get to! I'm working towards it, though.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: tonychanyt
Upvote 0