✟248,482.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
My guess...

Because, technically, that's the only kind of Christian there actually is. Then it would just look unfashionable if we all showed up wearing the same icon.

Well technically all Christians are meant to be born again. But.........^_^

Upvote 0

The Unforgettable Fire

May 29, 2008
✟11,255.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
lismore said:
Hello:)

I was wondering why there is not a faith Icon for being a Born again Christian?

I would be interested in having one!

:)

Born again is a metaphor Jesus used, not a literalism. It is evangelical doctrine that has promoted it to the status of being more than just an analogy.

It would be like having an icon saying we are salty and light Christians.

That's my two cents anyway.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟248,482.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Born again is a metaphor Jesus used, not a literalism. It is evangelical doctrine that has promoted it to the status of being more than just an analogy.

It would be like having an icon saying we are salty and light Christians.

That's my two cents anyway.

My testimony is that my family were very pious Catholics for generations who, in the 1980s, through the Catholic Charismatic renewal were born again, found Jesus, were filled with the Spirit, however you wish to phrase it. The light came on, they left the RCC soon afterwards because they couldn't stay after that.

There are people in everyone denomination going through the motions, good, stable, pious folks who are not born again. Unless a man is born again he cannot see the Kingdom of God, never mind be filled with a burning desire for all things Godly.

It's not an analogy it's a life changing event praise God.

If you've been religious, then be born again, you'll see the difference.

God Bless You:)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Unforgettable Fire

May 29, 2008
✟11,255.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I wasn't implying it was not referring to something real. I said it is a metaphor. Jesus did this all the time. He used language and imagery to convey to his listener(s) what he was saying. Look at his conversation with Nicodemus. Nicodemus comes to ask him a question and like Jesus usually does, he uses imagery to convey the answer to him. Nicodemus completely misses it by thinking purely in a literal sense.

Jesus basically tells him he is looking at things in a purely physical sense instead of looking at things in light of a real spiritual world.

Jesus pointed out that Nicodemus (being a suppose spiritual teacher) wasn't even acknowledging basic faith understanding of the existence of the spiritual world.

Jesus' basic point to Nicodemus was, you can't think in this world's terms, you have to think in the spiritual/ eternal world's terms seen by faith, otherwise you are never going to believe me when I tell you who I am and what I've come to do.

As for the born again part, it was a typical response by Jesus where he knew the person before they spoke and gave them the answer they needed instead of the one they were looking for. Nicodemus went to Jesus claiming he believed Jesus was sent from God. Jesus basically shut him down...Nicodemus' reasoning was worldly reasoning.

Nicodemus thought he saw God's work in Jesus, but Jesus said, unless you are born again (born from above) you can't see the kingdom of God. (AKA you can't see anything that's going on).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Unforgettable Fire

May 29, 2008
✟11,255.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Here is another way to say it...

1 Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see. 2 This is what the ancients were commended for.
3 By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God's command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.

4 By faith Abel brought God a better offering than Cain did. By faith he was commended as righteous, when God spoke well of his offerings. And by faith Abel still speaks, even though he is dead.

5 By faith Enoch was taken from this life, so that he did not experience death: "He could not be found, because God had taken him away." For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God. 6 And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him. - Hebrews 11:1-6

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Shining God's Light for a Lost World.
Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others

I was wondering why there is not a faith Icon for being a Born again Christian?

I would be interested in having one!

I don't know for sure, and I might be completely mistaken, but I think the "born again Christian" icon might be the one you're currently using. I'm using it, too. It seems to say to me "one who is of the Body of Christ", and I do make appearances (and participate) in the various Congregational forums, regardless of denomination, simply as a sister in Christ. After all, denomination differences (and other little issues) aren't going to matter once we have entered into God's great Kingdom.

Anyone who is born again is a Christian. :)

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟248,482.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't know for sure, and I might be completely mistaken, but I think the "born again Christian" icon might be the one you're currently using. I'm using it, too. It seems to say to me "one who is of the Body of Christ", and I do make appearances (and participate) in the various Congregational forums, regardless of denomination, simply as a sister in Christ. After all, denomination differences (and other little issues) aren't going to matter once we have entered into God's great Kingdom.

I agree with what you're saying however I think a 'Born-again Christian' icon would be a good thing.

'Christian' these days can mean all things to all men. I remember in AOG debating with a guy who thought Robbie Williams was a Christian because he sang about angels, then he himself was a Christian too because he had a Robbie Williams CD.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I agree with what you're saying however I think a 'Born-again Christian' icon would be a good thing.

'Christian' these days can mean all things to all men. I remember in AOG debating with a guy who thought Robbie Williams was a Christian because he sang about angels, then he himself was a Christian too because he had a Robbie Williams CD.

You could be right. I mean, people can go to church, do all the "right things", have all of the "right beliefs", listen to and sing "all the right songs", but that doesn't necessarily make a person a Christian. I heard an account of someone who for many years (a great deal of her life) went to church, was very much involved in her church with ministries, and had all the makings of "what a Christian should be"... then finally gave her heart to the Lord for real, if I remember right, well into her eighties (or close to her nineties)! And then there are many who think that just because their parents (grandparents, etc.) were Christians, that "by tradition" they are automatically Christians, as well. And we all know that it doesn't work that way. So, I very much see your point.

The thing is people ought not to call themselves Christians if they have not done what really makes one a Christian, and that's accepting Jesus as their personal Lord and Savior. This is the main basis for salvation -- or being born again -- therefore, a true Christian. :)

Wonder what this icon would look like, should it happen to be used?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Unforgettable Fire

May 29, 2008
✟11,255.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
lismore said:

I see what you're saying, but it quickly becomes a slippery slope when we start categorizing and labeling people as in or out based on our through a glass darkly qualifiers. God sees the heart. We are all sinners and we all have limited knowledge.

"Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand." - Romans 14:4

Upvote 0

WannaWitness

Aug 31, 2004
✟149,993.00
Faith
Christian
Politics
US-Others
I see what you're saying, but it quickly becomes a slippery slope when we start categorizing and labeling people as in or out based on our through a glass darkly qualifiers. God sees the heart. We are all sinners and we all have limited knowledge.

"Who are you to judge someone else's servant? To their own master, servants stand or fall. And they will stand, for the Lord is able to make them stand." - Romans 14:4

I see what you're saying, too. Sometimes we just never know.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟248,482.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I see what you mean, but the icon would be voluntary for those who wish to use it. We wouldn't be judging anyone else. It could be an evangelism tool though, people might ask 'what does born again mean?'

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟248,482.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"I was wondering why there is not a faith Icon for being a Born again Christian?
I would be interested in having one!"

You ARE one if you LIVE what you say you believe.

Yes. That's why it would be good to have the icon!

Upvote 0

Tigger45

Pray like your life depends on it!
Site Supporter
Aug 24, 2012
E. Eden
✟1,279,908.00
Country
United States
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You are right but you just have to love how Bob Carabbio cuts it to the quick;)
"I was wondering why there is not a faith Icon for being a Born again Christian?
I would be interested in having one!"

You ARE one if you LIVE what you say you believe.

Upvote 0

lismore

Maranatha
Oct 28, 2004
Scotland
✟248,482.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

But with an icon they can select it themselves, i.e judge/label themselves.

Upvote 0