Books on puberty for girls

Mayzoo

Jun 17, 2004
✟209,196.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I am looking into books that may aide me in explaining the changes that a young lady goes through during puberty. My daughter is 8.5. She is verbally delayed in that she speaks at roughly a 3.5 year old level, and does not ask question often as she has trouble "finding" the right words for what she wants/needs. However, she understands everything I say at an appropriate 8.5 year old level. We have always used the proper medical terminology for body parts. She recently has been telling me her nipples hurt a little, hence my starting a search for books. She may simply be overdoing the jumping onto her tummy in the pool (and we just took the pool down, so I should know soon if that was it). To be on the safe side, I would like to find an appropriate book that her and I can go over soon.

I have been looking into this book so far: The Care & Keeping of You: The Body Book for Girls (American Girl Library)

Any input about that book or any other suggestions?

Last edited:

vespasia

Franciscan.
Site Supporter
Oct 15, 2004
Back
✟51,490.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Babette Coles 'Hair in funny places' may give you both a gentle introduction. Its aimed at younger children and its used as part of a Christian Relationship training course delivered in some secular schools in the UK.

I have used it to try and ice break with some of the MLD kids at church about growing up and they find the humour and fact a helpful place to begin to voice their questions from.

Go at your daughters speed, answer her questions as honestly as you can at the level her questions where asked.

Upvote 0