Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm so busy I still haven't been out in the field for a while, but I did have this juvenile Cooper's Hawk come by for a drink.

DSC_1092 (2).JPG
DSC_1095 (2).JPG
DSC_1106 (2).JPG

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Not much to report lately. I've been too busy and too lazy to go chasing birds and have been content with the ones that have come to me. I did go get a couple of local rarities at a local park recently. The first (#316) GREATER SCAUP which was also my 344th Arizona life bird and my Pima County 296th. I've been driving myself nuts in past years trying to turn Lesser Scaups into a Greater one, the differences are very subtle, but now that I've go a positive ID, I have to say, this bird definitely is greater.

Here's a couple enthralling pictures of the Greater Scaup (female type) She really does look greater, doesn't she?

DSC_1159 (2).JPG

DSC_1153 (2).JPG

The other big find of the day was a #(317) WESTERN GREBE. Hard to believe I hadn't seen one yet this year, but here it is.

DSC_1147 (2).JPG

And finally, another picture of the locally ubiquitous Vermilion Flycatcher.

DSC_1139 (2).JPG

Reactions: Colin
Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Went out early yesterday morning to look for a mega-rarity from south Texas which has spent the week at a nearby park. I spent almost two hours doing laps around the park with about a dozen other frustrated birders to no avail. Then, on my last lap, I looked up and there it was.........drum roll...........

Ladies and Gentlemen, my 500th lifer for the US lower 48 and 2017 Bird of the Year (#318)
COUCH'S KINGBIRD!!!!!!

DSC_1218 (2).JPG
DSC_1233 (2).JPG

Thank you, thank you, very much.

You're probably asking yourself, 'how is this different from a Tropical Kingbird?' Good question. They're almost identical and best separated by voice. Fortunately, this one called.

I was the first one to find bird that morning and got to show it to a bunch of other very happy birders including a couple who had made the two hour drive from Phoenix. I like making other people happy.

I also saw a rare Lewis's Woodpecker, but I've already seen one this year in Pima County. Still, it's rare that I ever find rare birds all by myself. Here's a picture I took of it from a long way away.

DSC_1208 (2).JPG

And a few more nice shots from the morning.

Another Vermilion Flycatcher.

DSC_1179 (2).JPG

And southwestern local specialty, Black Phoebe.
DSC_1195 (2).JPG

It was a good morning for flycatchers.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I've had a couple of rare Monday's off recently and this Monday I did something even more rarer. After spending a morning failing to find Inca Doves in a local park I returned home to a report of a rare duck at a water treatment plant about 45 minutes away.

Since I had the time and gumption, I headed out for said duck.

I was quickly rewarded with year bird #319, US lower 48 bird #501, ABA Area bird #502, and North American bird #503 EURASIAN WIGEON. I've been waiting a lifetime to see this bird.

Here's a picture of it. @Colin will be very interested to know that that's an American Wigeon in the foreground. See how nicely they get along?
DSC_1255 (2).JPG

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
As reported in another thread I did the Tucson Audubon Christmas bird count last week. Nothing new to report but here's a little treat for my friends. These are photos taken by one of the members on my team. I think they reflect nicely on the beauty of urban birding.

Northern Mockingbird.

IMG_0243 (2).JPG
IMG_0256 (2).JPG

Some of the 16 Vermilion Flycatchers we counted that day.

View attachment 216705
IMG_0292 (2).JPG
IMG_0317 (2).JPG
IMG_0333 (2).JPG

An uncommon Red-naped Sapsucker. This one has a lot of color..

IMG_0343 (2).JPG

Local specialty, Rufous-winged Sparrow.

IMG_0398 (2).JPG

Red Crossbill. They're supposed to be super rare in Tucson but they're all over the place right now. There's some speculation that's because they've lost so much foraging space to the forest fires this summer. We saw a flock of ten on the CBC.

thumbnail_IMG_0229 (3).jpg

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
So, the year is winding down and I'm way behind my 2013 Big Year pace. I don't think I'll be setting any personal records in 2017 which is a bit of a shame given my outstanding trips to Tennessee and Vermont. All I know is that one day, my Big Year records will be shattered. I've also learned that the most important thing about birding is merely getting out in the field. You never know what you might find.

I'm in Portland now. It's snowing and miserable cold. There's a few birds out there I could chase, but I'm too much of a sissy to go outside. We've also got a trip planned to the coast for a couple of nights so who knows what I might find there. Then, on my return to Tucson, I'll have one last day to commit to birding in the desert. The next day starts a new year and my counts revert back to zero. I'm still thrilled by the possibilities.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
My trip to the great American Northwest went much better than expected with big surprises in both the birds and the weather.

My first birding foray was to Mt. Tabor, the park of my wife's childhood and one of my favorite northwest birding hot spots. Bird counts were low given the blizzardy/icy conditions, but there was an intriguing flock of gulls on one of the reservoirs. Being and Arizona birder and not familiar with gulls nor cold, I opted to take a bunch of photos and try to figure it out later. Fortunately, unbeknownst to me, I crossed paths with another birder and an eBird reviewer for the area who recorded in his eBird report 4 species and 1 sub-species of gull.

And so, I got my US lower 48 life bird #502, ABA Area life bird #503, and North American life bird #504 and year bird (#320) ICELAND GULL.

Can you tell which one it is?

DSC_1284 (2).JPG

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
A trip to an unnamed hamlet to an unnamed part of the coast of which we are particularly fond produced a nice smattering of birds particular to the region. First off was a flock of nineteen (#321) SURFBIRDS.

Here's a picture of some of them. What a place to live.

DSC_0069 (2).JPG

A subsequent trip to a unnamed local bay produced, (#322) COMMON GOLDENEYE and (#323) RED-NECKED GREBE while a trip around another local bay scored Mrs. tadoflamb some clam chowder and myself my US lower 48 life bird #503, ABA Area life bird #504, and North American life bird #505 and year bird (#324) BLACK TURNSTONE.

Here's the turnstone. The chowder was just as magnificent.

DSC_0085 (2).JPG

Exploring some more around this unnamed bay I also found (#325) FOX SPARROW. No pics, but here's photo of a Belted Kingfisher I took along the same trail.

DSC_0091 (2).JPG

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Our last day in Oregon and on the coast was wet and cold. I muscled through the rain somehow and got some really good birds. An early walk on the beach turned up two (#326) BLACK SCOTERS out in the surf. Stopping at strategic points along the way home I found a (#327) HARLEQUIN DUCK and a (#328) HORNED GREBE, two birds I haven't seen since I was a youth in Montana.

Here's a picture of the Harlequin Duck. It's really bad I know, but it was raining, my optics were wet and the bird was far away, but I'm so happy to have taken it's photograph.

DSC_0095 (2).JPG

A final stop on the coast left me at a rocky beach for an hour in the rain while my wife hit the outlet malls. What seemed to be a miserable, uneventful event aside from a handful of rock sandpipers upon further photographic review of what I thought were 28 California Gulls actually turned out to be 28 of my US lower 48 life bird #504, ABA Area life bird #505, and North American life bird #506 and year bird (#329) MEW GULL.

Here's a picture of 5 Mew Gulls with a Western Gull in the background.

DSC_0105 (2).JPG

And that folks, may be my last bird for 2017. We'll see what Sunday will bring.

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I'm sure everyone's wondering, how did the last day of tadoflamb's Big Year turn out?

I guess being Sunday was family day here in the Catholic Church, I didn't get a lot of birding in Sunday morning, but enjoyed mid-day prayers, mass and some time at the monastery with my wife. Subsequently, I dipped on my highly hoped for Inca Dove. Such is the sacrificial life. We then took a day trip to Bisbee, a funky little artsy mining town, had a little lunch and did a little walking around and chatting with the locals.

Such is the sacrificial life.

FINALLY, we made our way to Whitewater Draw Wildlife Area where I picked up my last bird species of 2017 in numbers and size that is even hard for me to miss, 26,000 (count them) 26,000 (#330) SANDHILL CRANE.

Here's some pictures or more specifically, visible evidence of how much God really loves me.

God bless, and may you be blessed many times by our feathered friends in 2018. God is good.

DSC_0113 (2).JPG
DSC_0128 (2).JPG
DSC_0129 (2).JPG
DSC_0130 (2).JPG
DSC_0131 (2).JPG
DSC_0137 (2).JPG

Upvote 0

tadoflamb

no identificado
Feb 20, 2007
Diocese of Tucson
✟74,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
For all of those you scoring at home, besides the over all 320 species I identified in 2017, I also had:

15 North American lifers
9 Arizona lifers
19 Oregon lifers
59 Tennessee lifers
47 Vermont lifers
11 Pima County (my home county) lifers

On eBird I ended up as the top 18th for eBirder Pima County, after 5 days in Washington County, VT came in 24th and after 4 days in Henry County, TN 17th.

Woo Hoo!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums