Why and how to celebrate Bird Day on May 4 (Photo Gallery)

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,767,213.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Established in 1894, Bird Day honors our avian friends. It’s a great moment to celebrate and give thanks for one of God’s most colorful and tuneful creations.

This coming Saturday, May 4, fans of R2D2 and Baby Yoda will be celebrating Star Wars Day. (May the 4th be with you! Get it?) And while I will certainly raise a glass of blue milk to a galaxy far, far away with my fellow sci-fi geeks, mostly I’ll be focused on a more important event — I refer, of course, to Bird Day, which was first established back in 1894.

Now I recognize there is a glut of “awareness days” out there. There is a World Emoji Day (July 17), an International Lefthanders Day (November 13), and doughnuts get their own week (May 18-26). But unlike most of the silly things that now clutter up our calendars, birds really do rate their own day and deserve to be specially acknowledged.

First of all, let’s remember that birds are actually tiny flying dinosaurs. That should be enough for any rational human to marvel at and celebrate their existence. Then there is the fact that our feathered friends play a critical role in maintaining Earth’s ecosystems. Birds also happen to be stunningly gorgeous. Let’s be honest, when God finally got around to creating birds, He was just showing off: “You think tropical fish are amazing? Well, check this out!”

Convinced yet? Here are some suggestions for celebrating Bird Day:

Continued below.