Arizona Gov. Katie Hobbs vetoes bipartisan bill to combat squatting, election bills

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟80,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Democrat Arizona Gov. Katie Hobbs has vetoed a bill aimed at strengthening the rights of homeowners looking to evict squatters from their property, despite the bill being passed in bipartisan fashion and as a wave of squatting cases continue to terrify homeowners across the country.

The bill, SB 1129, would have permitted a homeowner to request law enforcement to immediately remove a squatter from their property, had the squatter invaded a home and unlawfully claimed a right to live there. Police, acting on an owner’s affidavit, would have had the permission to immediately go in and have someone evicted.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟380,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

Democrat Arizona Gov. Katie Hobbs has vetoed a bill aimed at strengthening the rights of homeowners looking to evict squatters from their property, despite the bill being passed in bipartisan fashion and as a wave of squatting cases continue to terrify homeowners across the country.

The bill, SB 1129, would have permitted a homeowner to request law enforcement to immediately remove a squatter from their property, had the squatter invaded a home and unlawfully claimed a right to live there. Police, acting on an owner’s affidavit, would have had the permission to immediately go in and have someone evicted.
I always wonder why folks would choose not to provide the justification for her choice:

"Today I vetoed Senate Bill 1129," Hobbs wrote. "This bill fails to leverage existing legal mechanisms, respect the due process rights of lawful tenants, and minimize unintended consequences such as for victims of domestic violence."
Other democrats have expounded these issues in more detail but I couldn't find it.

And I can understand the concern. A spousal abuser should not have the right to weaponize the legal system against their victim and have them removed from their house. It seems like this should be a relatively simple thing to fix or at least find solutions to. It doesn't sound like she's averse to the IDEA behind the law.

Do you think it's good to try to minimize the impact on domestic violence victims?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟314,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

The way this is written up in your post it sounds like just an affidavit would be sufficient to trigger law enforcement removal without any kind of possible legal intervention by "the squatter". (The police could decline, as nothing in this write-up implies that police are *required* to act swiftly.)

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟80,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I always wonder why folks would choose not to provide the justification for her choice:

Other democrats have expounded these issues in more detail but I couldn't find it.

And I can understand the concern. A spousal abuser should not have the right to weaponize the legal system against their victim and have them removed from their house. It seems like this should be a relatively simple thing to fix or at least find solutions to. It doesn't sound like she's averse to the IDEA behind the law.

Do you think it's good to try to minimize the impact on domestic violence victims?
Hobbs' excuse for her stupid veto was correctly countered by one of the state congresswoman. Hopefully you read the rebuttal to the governor.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟80,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The way this is written up in your post it sounds like just an affidavit would be sufficient to trigger law enforcement removal without any kind of possible legal intervention by "the squatter". (The police could decline, as nothing in this write-up implies that police are *required* to act swiftly.)
Did you read the rest of the article which also had rebuttals to the governor from Senator Wendy Rogers and Senator Justine Wadsack?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟314,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Did you read the rest of the article which also had rebuttals to the governor from Senator Wendy Rogers and Senator Justine Wadsack?

It doesn't tell me anything you didn't already. I also know who Wendy Rogers is and I don't trust her judgement.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟80,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It doesn't tell me anything you didn't already. I also know who Wendy Rogers is and I don't trust her judgement.
Actually, I know that if you read the rebuttals you would see more information than the few paragraphs I copied in my op.

I am curious to know if you trust Katie Hobbs' judgment.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟380,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Hobbs' excuse for her stupid veto was correctly countered by one of the state congresswoman. Hopefully you read the rebuttal to the governor.
I read a response in the article but is there a reason you didn't include what you felt was a particularly strong rebuttal? Like not strong enough for you to include but strong enough that I should respond to it?

Cause I read thr article and founding nothing damning...just partisan commentary

Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟80,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I read a response in the article but is there a reason you didn't include what you felt was a particularly strong rebuttal? Like not strong enough for you to include but strong enough that I should respond to it?

Cause I read thr article and founding nothing damning...just partisan commentary
I believe those rebuttals by the two state Senators are very strong. I did not know that I had to copy paste them into the thread. It is too easy to read the entire article.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟314,145.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Actually, I know that if you read the rebuttals you would see more information than the few paragraphs I copied in my op.

I am curious to know if you trust Katie Hobbs' judgment.
More than Wendy Rogers or you. (I did read the article.)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟380,012.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I believe those rebuttals by the two state Senators are very strong.
Why would you think that? Neither of them really directly addressed her precise concerns. Given that the first Senator does not really address the concerns laid out by Hobbs, I don't understand what's strong about it. Also if the critique is that "this bill has nothing to do with landlord tenant law", seems like kind of a stupid critique for a simpleton like me.
Yes squatters are arguably not tenants, but hte issue could be that a landlord could claim they are tenants and, ultimately, it is a landlord and there is someone residing in their property (hence: tenant).
She doesn't say anything about family members and Rogers also doesn't address the domestic violence component.

I dunno. Just doesn't seem a strong critique.

In all the writing in the several articles I read, this is the only sentence that describes the bill:
"The squatter bill, initiated by state Sen. Wendy Rogers, aimed to simplify the eviction process by allowing police to act immediately on an owner’s affidavit to evict squatters. "
TBH, I could see a LOT of problems if this is a adroit and precise summation of the bill (though I'm sure there's more to it).

In fact, the 2nd senator was just whinging. And I'm sorry but just because you agree and you think it's a stupid move, doesn't ALSO mean that the senator had a strong rebuttal.

I did not know that I had to copy paste them into the thread. It is too easy to read the entire article.
Well no you don't. It just seems weird that you yourself wouldn't quote them....that's all. If I think something is strong, I'll just use their words instead.

Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

Vambram

Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟80,363.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
It's part of her duties to know what she is signing and why. (or in this case not signing)
Yet her excuses for the veto show she's ignorant about the details of what is actually in the bill according to Arizona state senators.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟155,717.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Yet her excuses for the veto show she's ignorant about the details of what is actually in the bill according to Arizona state senators.
Perhaps the Arizona state senators are wrong?

Upvote 0