✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Tonks said:
Please fully explain the differing deposits of Grace that God gives to different individuals.

i think the 12 apostles should be a good explanation, they all had the same spirit, but did not think the exact same, upbringing and such have an affect on these kinds of things as well. Everyone is different, just as the ot prophets were not the same in their teachings.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟71,542.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
stone said:
i think the 12 apostles should be a good explanation, they all had the same spirit, but did not think the exact same, upbringing and such have an affect on these kinds of things as well. Everyone is different, just as the ot prophets were not the same in their teachings.

I fail to see how differences mean that people fall in different places along a "Grace continuum." Then again, I probably define it somewhat more narrowly than Protestants do.

Upvote 0

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Tonks said:
I fail to see how differences mean that people fall in different places along a "Grace continuum." Then again, I probably define it somewhat more narrowly than Protestants do.

i dont understand grace continuum?

Upvote 0

Bill777

Oct 30, 2005
✟15,631.00
Faith
Christian
InnerPhyre said:
That's not what he asked. *IP picks up his Bible* Am I holding Jesus in my hand right now?

Well, the answer is no. And the answer is also yes. As somebody mentioned before the written word and Christ that came in the flesh, was crucified, and raised again are different ways God revealed himself. I did not live in the times of Christ so I know him through the written word (the bible) and the holy spirit of God that testifies in me that he is risen. God the Father, Jesus Christ, the Holy Spirit, the written word (The Bible), the creation, are all ways God reveals to man. So, your question is really irrelevant, just read the scripture I quoted before and interpret it yourself.

Upvote 0

Tonks

No longer here
Site Supporter
Aug 15, 2005
Heading home...
✟71,542.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Politics
US-Libertarian
stone said:
maybe you mean, you don't understand how father has a different plan for each of us?

Of course He does. However, our differences have zero to do with "differing amounts of Grace" which is what I was looking for.

Upvote 0

Bill777

Oct 30, 2005
✟15,631.00
Faith
Christian
Tonks said:
The Bible as literally God is a novel concept - I'll grant you that. Can I assume that you're KJV-only? If not, how does one reconcile all the different (and in some cases very poor) English translations of the Bible? I do get the "depth of understanding" bit, though I'm not entirely sure your reasons behind it are necessarily the orthodox ones.

Is there value, per the Logos above in understanding the correct context in the original languages prior to English translation or is that best left up to others. It would seem, of course, the Good News in its entirety is 1) significantly different than a verse in isolation and 2) requires understanding of the Hebrew and Greek in their original context.

I believe the KJV to be divinely inspired. Because the language is old I may sometimes look at the NKJV or NIV if I need further clarification.

I'm not sure my concept is novel. I quoted scripture and the Reformers Luther and Calvin clearly stated the principle of sola scriptura or sola scripture, meaning that all christian doctrine can come from the bible alone.

The better we understand scripture the better we know God. No man can know God perfectly though. God reveals to man what he wills, and we know God imperfectly, nobody knows all the ways of the Lord.

Upvote 0

Bill777

Oct 30, 2005
✟15,631.00
Faith
Christian
Oblio said:
If the Bible is God, then would you say that the Bible created all things that were made ?

Also, does that mean that the Bible is a second physical manifestation of God (apart from the Incarnation) ?

Can you separate Christ from God the Father, can you separate the holy ghost from God the Father? Well, think about it. Then ask yourself can you separate the Word of God (the Bible) from God the Father? the answer to all these questions is the same one. I'm going to let the holy spirit and the scripture that I quoted before answer these questions for you.

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
Bill777 said:
Can you separate Christ from God the Father, can you separate the holy ghost from God the Father? Well, think about it. Then ask yourself can you separate the Word of God (the Bible) from God the Father? the answer to all these questions is the same one. I'm going to let the holy spirit and the scripture that I quoted before answer these questions for you.

Here's a question: do you give the Bible the adoration due to God alone?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Bill777

Oct 30, 2005
✟15,631.00
Faith
Christian
GraceInHim said:
very true - that is why we grow spiritually in him and understand what to discern - :thumbsup: I might add that it is not just through the Bible but through our prayers

Agree, prayer, the holy ghost, his creation etc. And God we'll reveal more to us after our resurrection!

It's sufficient to say that the more we understand scripture the more we know God. That's really what I meant. Thanks for correcting me.

Upvote 0

JerryShugart

Aug 8, 2005
✟1,370.00
Faith
Christian
Oblio said:
et. al. ...

How ironic that you, with gnostic tendecies such as rejecting God working through His Creation through the Sacraments, ascribe to gnosticism the Holy Mysteries of the Church.
The practice of the Roman church of exorcising or blessing the water sprang from the Gnostic belief that evil attached to everything corporeal.To us who recognize the essential difference between spirit and matter the thought of washing the soul from sin by water baptism is nonsense.But it was otherwise with those steeped in pagan philosophy.With them the soul was matter,as well as the body--matter in a more subtle form.

And as I said,John Henry Cardinal Newman admitted that the practice of using "holy water" came from pagan sources.He also says that the early church took the things of "demon worship" as well as the "philosophy" of the educated class and adopted them into the church:

"Confiding then in the power of Christianity to resist the infection of evil, and to transmute the very instruments and appendages of demon-worship to an evangelical use, and feeling also that these usages had originally come from primitive revelations and from the instinct of nature, though they had been corrupted; and that they must invent what they needed, if they did not use what they found; and that they were moreover possessed of the very archetypes, of which paganism attempted the shadows; the rulers of the Church from early times were prepared, should the occasion arise, to adopt, or imitate, or sanction the existing rites and customs of the populace, as well as the philosophy of the educated class"(Newman,"The Newman Reader",Chapter 8,Part 2,#5).

In His grace,--Jerry

Upvote 0

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
stone said:
john 20:23 this doesnt say anything about confessing sins to a priest?

No, but it institutes the ministry of reconciliation (2 Cor. 5:18) and gives them the authroity to forgive or retain sins. How else are they going to do this unless you confess your sins (1 John 1:9)?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bill777

Oct 30, 2005
✟15,631.00
Faith
Christian
Tonks said:
Please fully explain the differing deposits of Grace that God gives to different individuals.

God gives grace and saves entirely at his pleasure. His grace is undeserved by man and he gives it to whoever he wills. He will have mercy on whom he will have mercy says the scripture and he will harden the hearts of whomever he wants to. Romans 9:18 to 9:23

18Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.

19Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?

20Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?

21Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?

22What if God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:

23And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory,

Upvote 0

Bill777

Oct 30, 2005
✟15,631.00
Faith
Christian
stone said:

Very good answer. Corinthians also talks about the gifts of the spirit and they are not given in the same measure to everybody.

Upvote 0

Bill777

Oct 30, 2005
✟15,631.00
Faith
Christian
QuantaCura said:

I'm not going to answer that one. Suffice it to say that when Satan tempted Jesus in the desert, Jesus rebuked Satan every time with scripture saying "it is written ...". Jesus resisted Satan by quoting scripture.

Upvote 0

lmnop9876

Aug 29, 2005
✟8,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I greatly revere the Word of God, as He Himself has said,
Ps 138:2 I will worship toward thy holy temple, and praise thy name for thy lovingkindness and for thy truth: for thou hast magnified thy word above all thy name.
the whole of Psalm 119 is dedicated to the praise of God's Word.

Upvote 0

lmnop9876

Aug 29, 2005
✟8,364.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
and if christ rose on a sunday, it was one sunday out of the year, not every sunday of the year, so why not do this only once a year?

Acts 20:7 And upon the first day of the week, when the disciples came together to break bread, Paul preached unto them, ready to depart on the morrow; and continued his speech until midnight.
Justin Martyr also indicates that Eucharist was taken weekly.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.