✟206,695.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Republican
Good post...

"Sacrament" is a theological concept. Not all faith traditions define or understand the concept the same.

Since the term never appears in the Bible, it's not surprising they are never numerated in the Bible. The understanding and numberation is largely a matter of Tradtion within each of the faith communities. Thus there probably isn't a "right" or "wrong" answer to this - just how various faith communities understand and express the concept.

We could discuss each one of the 7 individually, how we view them (I'm sure there are many threads on each!), but whether they are "sacraments" or not and exactly what that means is a matter of Tradition.

MY view...

Keep the faith! Share the love!

- Josiah

Upvote 0

imissedu

God's baby girl
Nov 3, 2005
Charlotte, NC
Visit site
✟15,304.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
moses916 said:
are you a scholar in this subject? what makes your article true? do you have any experience in a sacremental church?

Do you dispute what I posted or are you just being coy? I'm willing to discuss anything with any one however, I learned a long time ago that if a person already has it in their mind to be opposed to an opinion other than their own, then it is not my job to change their mind.

Upvote 0

cristoiglesia

Veteran
Jul 20, 2005
Alapan, Imus, Cavite, Philippines
✟16,550.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
This is a cut and paste article from the following:

http://www.gotquestions.org/seven-Catholic-sacraments.html

I have my own criticizms of the Western Church but I feel that they should be discussed without presenting half-truths and outright prevarications. I believe that it is reasonable to discuss the various practices of any Church or ecclesiastical community, it is unreasonable to make unqualified claims. The claim in this article is that the seven Sacraments practiced by most Christians has no or insufficient Biblical support. This simply put is not true. If one wishes to debate the exegesis used in this support, this would be a reasonable and truthful approach to being critical to Sacramental beliefs.

The following may be a helpful URL:

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/user/newman/Pages/fr-sevensacraments.html

In Christ
Fr. Joseph

Reactions: Isaiah 53
Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Since the term never appears in the Bible, it's not surprising they are never numerated in the Bible.

Actually it does. The Greek, musterion, from where Orthodox speak of Mysteries, is the Eastern equivalent of Sacrament.

Upvote 0

cristoiglesia

Veteran
Jul 20, 2005
✟16,550.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
QuantaCura said:
Has anyone read Scott Hahn's "Swear to God"?

I haven't, but I have seen his series of lectures on EWTN about it. I think it's a good read for someone who wants to understand what the sacraments/mysteries are all about.

Yes, it is an excellent book. I would also recommend this book as well as any of Dr. Hahn's writings. I like his point of view as he is a convert to Catholicism like myself.

In Christ:crossrc:
Fr. Joseph

Upvote 0

holeinone

Saint Holeinone
May 9, 2005
✟9,752.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
When we see that Christ actually "instituted" all of them, and that He said their purpose was to give grace I think we can have a serious discussion on them.

Until then I will see the Lords Supper and Baptism as ordinances/ or sacraments of the church which we are commanded to obey and all the others as simply man made rituals

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

QuantaCura

Rejoice always.
Aug 17, 2005
✟21,762.00
Faith
Catholic
holeinone said:
When we see that Christ actually "instituted" all of them, and that He said their purpose was to give grace I think we can have a serious discussion on them.

Until then I will see the Lords Supper and Baptism as ordinances/ or sacraments of the church which we are commanded to obey and all the others as simply man made rituals

Why was Jesus concerned with ordinances? Didn't He know it was all about a personal relationship? :scratch:

Upvote 0

holeinone

Saint Holeinone
May 9, 2005
✟9,752.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
QuantaCura said:
Why was Jesus concerned with ordinances? Didn't He know it was all about a personal relationship? :scratch:

God has always instituted memorials for those things that are completed work.

They are to bring to our remembrance what He has done for us.

Baptism and the Lords table remind us of the completed work of Christ.

Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

You have equivocated the two terms above. This is not what remembrance meant to those who lived in the Greek culture in ancient Palestine. To impress your modern definition in a Western culture to an Eastern culture 2000 years ago leads to misconception and error.

Upvote 0

Veritas

1 Lord, 1 Faith, 1 Baptism
Aug 7, 2003
Pacific NW USA
Visit site
✟117,162.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
Lynn73 said:
In answer to the OP, my opinion is no.

Ah Lynn, you're so dependable. We can always count on you to throw your 2 cents in on any thread criticising the Catholic Church.

Reactions: PassthePeace1
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

GraceInHim

† Need a lifeguard? Mine walks on water †
Oct 25, 2005
MA
✟24,206.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Veritas said:
Ah Lynn, you're so dependable. We can always count on you to throw your 2 cents in on any thread criticising the Catholic Church.

be nice -:) she can place a post anytime she wants - even if she does not agree with you.

Upvote 0

Lynn73

Jesus' lamb
Sep 15, 2003
Visit site
✟23,113.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Veritas said:

Well, Veritas, the OP asks a question. Anyone is free to come in answer the question. There's only 3 answers I would think. Yes, No, and not sure. Yours is yes (right?), mine is no. Not unexpected, as you say.

I like this answer by holeinone:

God has always instituted memorials for those things that are completed work.

:)

p.s. While I do have a strong feeling on the subject of Catholicism, I don't enter every single thread there is about it and also, believe it or not, I do post in other threads that have nothing to do with Catholicism. But if I have something to say, I'll say it.

Upvote 0

cristoiglesia

Veteran
Jul 20, 2005
✟16,550.00
Faith
Utrecht
Marital Status
Married
Oblio said:
You have equivocated the two terms above. This is not what remembrance meant to those who lived in the Greek culture in ancient Palestine. To impress your modern definition in a Western culture to an Eastern culture 2000 years ago leads to misconception and error.

Your observance is entirely correct. I believe that the same knowledge has been made available to holeinone also in various threads. The word remembrance in English translations is a very poor word to use for the Greek word anamnesis. The fact is that there is no English word that is comparable to anamnesis which means to literally make the past or future a present reality. In other words a true miracle of God and not remembrance in the English understanding of that word. Here is a website that explores this word and miracle in more detail:

http://www.wcc-coe.org/wcc/assembly/pth1-e.html

In Christ:crossrc:
Fr. Joseph

Reactions: QuantaCura
Upvote 0

Oblio

Creed or Chaos
Jun 24, 2003
Georgia - USA
Visit site
✟27,610.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And of course in the Divine Liturgy (or Mass in the West) we do participate in anamesis, being mystically outside of temporal time and participating with Christ as we partake in the Holy Eucharist. This is how we can worship not only with our brethren temporally beside us, but also with all the Saints and Cherubim & Seraphim and the heavenly hosts. It begins when the priest exclaims on behalf of all Blessed is the Kingdom of the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit !, the opening prayer of the Divine Liturgy.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.