Animals eat animals, so why shouldn't we?

vortigen84

Nov 24, 2009
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Some animals are herbivores, others carnivores, and still others omnivores.

So it is natural for some animals to eat each other.

As a human being, you are an omnivore.

Therefore, why not eat meat? It is natural for you to do so, as it is any other omnivore or carnivore.

You may counter that while eating meat may be natural, it is either wrong or somehow spiritually immature; there should be an aim towards spiritual growth, of which vegetarian/veganism plays a role.

The problem here is that God-incarnate ate meat, and you can't be more spiritual or enlightened than God.

Furthermore, the Scriptures contain an account of St Peter, in which he has a vision where God lowers a sheet of animals and tells him to kill and eat them. Would you as a vegetarian/vegan obey, or would you tell God that he is somehow wrong for not being compassionate?

Last edited:

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Some animals are herbivores, others carnivores, and still others omnivores.

So it is natural for some animals to eat each other.

As a human being, you are an omnivore.

Therefore, why not eat meat? It is natural for you to do so, as it is any other omnivore or carnivore.

You may counter that while eating meat may be natural, it is either wrong or somehow spiritually immature; there should be an aim towards spiritual growth, of which vegetarian/veganism plays a role.

The problem here is that God-incarnate ate meat, and you can't be more spiritual or enlightened than God.

Furthermore, the Scriptures contain an account of St Peter, in which he has a vision where God lowers a sheet of animals and tells him to kill and eat them. Would you as a vegetarian/vegan obey, or would you tell God that he is somehow wrong for not being compassionate?

As far as Christian perspective on the spiritual aspects of eating meat, I refer to Romans 14.

Now, as for health, some do feel it is better to eat no meat. And there is truth in this, to a degree. Red meat, for instance, is far from good for you in "large" quantities (such as most people in the US eat). And meat in general tends to contain a fair amount of fat, which most modern, industrialized societies should work to lessen in the diet - for obvious reasons of the growing concern of obesity, high cholesterol, etc.

But, meat also should be an integral, if lessened, part of the full diet in a healthy individual. Meat is the best source of protein, and a vital source of many amino acids/derivatives and other nutrients that are not present in any plant that we, as animals, need.

We evolved (not here to debate that concept) to require meat as a part of our diet. We are, by form, omnivores.

The lack of meat (all meat, to clarify) from the diet requires those meat-derived nutrients to be found another way - supplements. We did not evolve to take supplements for what we do not get in our diet, and nutrients derived from food are of a higher potency (as out body was designed to receive them thus) and more readily available for use.

Upvote 0

vortigen84

Nov 24, 2009
✟9,400.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Now, as for health, some do feel it is better to eat no meat. And there is truth in this, to a degree. Red meat, for instance, is far from good for you in "large" quantities (such as most people in the US eat). And meat in general tends to contain a fair amount of fat, which most modern, industrialized societies should work to lessen in the diet - for obvious reasons of the growing concern of obesity, high cholesterol, etc.

Pragmatic concerns I can understand, so long as one does not then elevate those concerns to objective moral standards; claim those standards are divine; then try to teach everyone else about the way things ought to be in Jesus' name, amen.

For example, I spoke to a PETA representative a while back who tried to lecture me that because Jesus was vegetarian, I ought to be one too. I showed them the account of Jesus eating fish, yet they didn't accept it for numerous reasons. One objection raised was an unsubstantiated accusation of Biblical tampering through the ages to support meat eating. That's just prejudice on their part, nothing spiritual. I'm guessing the concept of a fish-eating Messiah is unacceptable to their own standards, therefore they need some other explanation to explain it away. As for cross-references, screw St Paul, who taught it was the weak Christian who only eats vegetables, etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Fenny the Fox

Apr 21, 2009
Rock Hill, SC
Visit site
✟23,619.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
I can understand the stance of one who does not eat meat from a spiritual or personal obligation - they feel it is wrong to kill and eat another living being (not considering plant as a "being" since it can have no conscious thought or signal). I myself was, for a year or so, among those. I may have came out of it disagreeing, but I still understand and respect that position greatly.

Though, I admit, some of those whom take that stance hold some odd and untestable beliefs on how it may be approach biblically - such as your experience with the "Jesus was vegetarian" PETA member (I am NOT getting started on PETA...) and the belief it was a corruption of the bible.

Others believe along the lines that it is our duty as the highest order of animals to take care of the animals around us since we are capable and culpable for the condition of the Earth. And from that they further deduce we should not eat the other animals as lower animals do, that we are to protect not eat them.

Once again I agree to a degree, so can understand and respect the position. I simply do not take the extreme position and prefer that we are also capable of correctly using those animals around us as need be.

Upvote 0

Blingmo

Aug 9, 2012
✟7,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I have seen many peoples who provide arguments regarding meat and they say that vegetarian kind of stuff is not really healthy... But i must say that we must all try and eat every thing because GOD has created every thing mankind and we should all praise him and thank him for what he had blessed us with..... Many doctors and consultants also advise the patients to have meat along with vegetables.... A friend of mine who is been working in a nursing home and he says that we offer meat 2 times a week and vegetables are being offered there at the remaining time..

Upvote 0

TheOtherHockeyMom

Contributor
Jul 9, 2008
✟14,889.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
When we eat meat, we cause suffering. Why do that if it is not necessary? There is plenty of evidence that supports the idea that eating a vegetarian or vegan diet can be as healthy as any other diet.

In addition, there is the efficiency factor. In a densely populated planet, why feed lots of calories to animals (and provide them with large amounts of water) to get a much smaller number of calories in animal proteins as a result? In other words, with so many starving people, why waste the grain and water that could keep a number of people alive on feeding a cow that can feed far fewer?

Upvote 0

DrkSdBls

Feb 19, 2006
✟2,298.00
Faith
Seeker
I'm curious as to why this thread is here, by the way. This is a forum for vegetarians....if you want a thread celebrating why you support the meat industry, wouldn't there be a better place for it?

Not really. Part of the Reasoning to be a Vegetarian is the reasoning why not to eat meat. Of course, you would argue that this is Partly a Moral and Ethics question but much of the debate also deals the Basic Health and Fitness aspects of it as well.

Upvote 0

If Not For Grace

Legend-but then so's Keith Richards
Feb 4, 2005
Curtis Loew's House w/Kid Rock & Hank III
Visit site
✟46,998.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
God gave us discrimination from right and wrong.
Which is what seperates us from our furry and slimy brothers and sisters

God also allowed the consumption of meat-even provided a list.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums