And she was on Trump's list for VP, too...

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟372,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Why do liberals support abortion but don't agree with killing a 14 month old dog which had killed a farmer's chickens and also bitten his owner?
"People have abortions, so let's kill the puppies!"

No, I don't think so.

• Wow
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟372,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
According to them, the unborn "is not a person" and it's "just a clump of cells"
From a scientific POV, a fertilized human egg is a genetically unique individual. Even absent a religious belief that all life is sacred, by the first trimester there is a functioning human nervous system operating. And as Carl Sagan observed, from a scientific POV, an abortion after the first trimester would be taking a human life.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟250,429.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
From a scientific POV, a fertilized human egg is a genetically unique individual. Even absent a religious belief that all life is sacred, by the first trimester there is a functioning human nervous system operating. And as Carl Sagan observed, from a scientific POV, an abortion after the first trimester would be taking a human life.
I don’t care what any atheist thinks. As soon as new life is conceived, abortion is wrong.

Upvote 0

WolfGate

Site Supporter
Jun 14, 2004
South Carolina
✟455,632.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Why do liberals support abortion but don't agree with killing a 14 month old dog which had killed a farmer's chickens and also bitten his owner?
Conservative here. I don't support either abortion or Noem's killing a dog.

Reactions: Elliewaves
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟372,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
I don’t care what any atheist thinks. As soon as new life is conceived, abortion is wrong.
Agreed. I'm just pointing out that even a rational atheist would find abortion, after the first trimester, to be killing a human.

Reactions: RileyG
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟34,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"The Barbarian", can I presume that you are an urban dweller.

On a farm, all sorts of animals are killed. All sorts of vermin, like snakes, rabbits, hares, feral cats, rats and mice.
Animals for food like sheep, chickens, pigs, goats etc I often had my bowl of Wheat Bix (brekkie), whilst an animal, that had been slaughtered the night before, was carved up on the table.

If a dog has taken to attacking and killing livestock, I would have no issue with putting it down.
I am a city boy and I can understand your point of view once I place myself in your shoes. I couldn't bring myself to kill a puppy (to me, 14 mo is not a puppy) but it makes sense and I knew some co workers that grew up on a farm and didn't see their animals as pets. Their kids would raise animals for county fairs and then slaughter them. A different mindset.
This is how bad it's gotten. If someone is of the right political persuasion, there are people who will overlook her killing puppies.
Sad. "If someone is of the right political persuasion, there are people who will overlook her killing puppies" and babies through abortion. The biggest monsters in society and nature are the ones who kill their kind for convenience.

• Agree
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟372,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
Sad. "If someone is of the right political persuasion, there are people who will overlook her killing puppies" and babies through abortion.
I'm thinking that whataboutism in this case is world class whataboutism. "You think killing puppies is bad? What about abortion?"

And yeah 14 months is a a puppy for that breed. The killer even expresses her disgust that when she took it on a hunt, it behaved like a puppy.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟34,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm thinking that whataboutism in this case is world class whataboutism. "You think killing puppies is bad? What about abortion?"
Yep, killing a baby is wrong no matter what stage of development it is in, especially when kids don't protect themselves through FREE birth control.

This is how bad it's gotten. If someone is of the right political persuasion, there are people who will overlook her killing puppies.
In your mind, it's whataboutism but it's a good comparison when we are talking about the killing of life. No one is overlooking what Kristi did as bad optics (to an urbanite) and I appreciate her candidness something you don't see from politicians. But I do understand her upbringing in South Dakota on a farm something urbanites can't understand.

• Winner
Upvote 0

Malleeboy

Jul 31, 2021
Melbourne
✟50,347.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Different cultures and societies have differing rules.
Some societies eat dogs, others eat guinea pigs. some eat cats.

Where I grew up we often had plagues, especially mice, rabbits. The dead mice after a plague would be piled up in every corner of the sheds.
In droughts sometimes you have no choice but to put some animals down, better that then they die from thirst or starvation. Or a sheep that had gotten fly blown.

I grew up doing some things that most urban people would be very squeamish about...
My family had sheep, as soon as I was able to lift and hold lambs, I was out helping to mark them. I would hold them, whilst there tails were removed and the males lambs were castrated. This was still done by knife, although most now use rings to perform it. I won't describe what people did if a lamb had an undescended testee.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟563,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
"The Barbarian", can I presume that you are an urban dweller.

On a farm, all sorts of animals are killed. All sorts of vermin, like snakes, rabbits, hares, feral cats, rats and mice.
Animals for food like sheep, chickens, pigs, goats etc I often had my bowl of Wheat Bix (brekkie), whilst an animal, that had been slaughtered the night before, was carved up on the table.

If a dog has taken to attacking and killing livestock, I would have no issue with putting it down.
I'm an urban dweller, though much of my family is from the country. I'm also not much of an animal person and don't get too worked up about people eating things that are cute or putting down animals in various ways, as long as they're quick.

That said, something that I suspect you fail to appreciate about us urban dwellers is that IME we have much higher expectations of pet owners and the amount of training they give their animals and the amount of control they exercise over them. When you live in a dense environment with a lot of people, a lot of kids, a lot of houses, and a lot of other pets, you have to exercise a lot of care, otherwise there would be chaos.

The vibe I get from the excerpts (which, I concede, are just excerpts and may be missing important context) is that Noem blames the dog for its behavior. What we urbanites are inclined to believe is that the failure here is Noem's as the dog's owner. She failed to adequately train the animal and failed to keep it under control when it posed a risk to others, and then punished the dog for her own failings.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

The Barbarian

Crabby Old White Guy
Apr 3, 2003
✟372,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
The vibe I get from the excerpts (which, I concede, are just excerpts and may be missing important context) is that Noem blames the dog for its behavior. What we urbanites are inclined to believe is that the failure here is Noem's as the dog's owner. She failed to adequately train the animal and failed to keep it under control when it posed a risk to others, and then punished the dog for her own failings.
Today's winner. On the net, the worst abuse Noem is getting, is coming from groups who hunt with dogs.

Reactions: iluvatar5150
Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟34,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm an urban dweller, though much of my family is from rural areas. I'm also not much of an animal person and don't get too worked up about people eating things that are cute or putting down animals in various ways, as long as they're quick.

That said, something that I suspect you fail to appreciate about us urban dwellers is that IME we have much higher expectations of pet owners and the amount of training they give their animals and the amount of control they exercise over them. The vibe I get from the excerpts (which, I concede, are just excerpts and may be missing important context) is that Noem blames the dog for its behavior. What we urbanites are inclined to believe is that the failure here is Noem's as the dog's owner. She failed to adequately train the animal and failed to keep it under control when it posed a risk to others.
I had a Doberman that was aggressive toward humans not like the other dogs I've owned. The old country boys here told me to put a bullet in him but I couldn't bring myself to do it so they offered to end him at their place. I tried training him to be more social with humans at the dog park with no joy. Luckily I didn't have to put him down because he choked himself to death when he jumped over a chain link fence while chained.

Upvote 0

iluvatar5150

Aug 3, 2012
Baltimore
✟563,850.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I had a Doberman that was aggressive toward humans not like the other dogs I've owned. The old country boys here told me to put a bullet in him but I couldn't bring myself to do it so they offered to end him at their place. I tried training him to be more social with humans at the dog park with no joy. Luckily I didn't have to put him down because he choked himself to death when he jumped over a chain link fence while chained.
the-simpsons-homer-simpson_bush.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums