Dec 29, 2006
✟454,818.00
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The uniqueness of the Scriptures is based on their origin and source. The Bible writers claimed they did not originate their messages but received them from divine sources. It was through divine revelation that they were able "to see" the truths they passed on (see Isa. 1:1; Amos 1:1; Micah 1:1; Hab. 1:1; Jer. 38:21).

These writers pointed to the Holy Spirit as the one who communicated through the prophets to the people (Neh. 9:30; cf. Zech. 7:12). David said, "The Spirit of the Lord spoke by me, and His word was on my tongue" (2 Sam. 23:2). Ezekiel wrote, "the Spirit entered me," "the Spirit of the Lord fell upon me," "the Spirit took me up" (Eze. 2:2; 11:5, 24). And Micah testified, "I am full of power by the Spirit of the Lord" (Micah 3:8).

The New Testament recognized the role of the Holy Spirit in the production of the Old Testament. Jesus said that David was inspired by the Holy Spirit (Mark 12:36). Paul believed that the Holy Spirit spoke "through Isaiah" (Acts 28:25). Peter revealed that the Holy Spirit guided all the prophets, not just a few (1 Peter 1:10, 11; 2 Peter 1:21). At times the writer faded completely into the background, and only the real author—the Holy Spirit—was acknowledged: "The Holy Spirit says. . . " "By this the Holy Spirit indicates. . . " (Heb. 3:7; 9:8, RSV).

The New Testament writers recognized the Holy Spirit as the source of their own messages also. Paul explained, "Now the Spirit expressly says that in latter times some will depart from the faith" (1 Tim. 4:1). John spoke of being "in the Spirit on the Lord's day" (Rev. 1:10). And Jesus commissioned His apostles through the agency of the Holy Spirit (Acts 1:2; cf. Eph. 3:3-5).

So God, in the person of the Holy Spirit, has revealed Himself through the Holy Scriptures. He wrote them, not with His hands, but with other hands, about forty pairs, over a period of more than 1500 years. And since God the Holy Spirit inspired the writers, God, then, is its author.

"All Scripture," Paul says, "is given by inspiration of God" (2 Tim. 3:16). The Greek word theopneustos, translated as "inspiration," literally means "God-breathed." God "breathed" truth into men's minds. They, in turn, expressed it in the words found in the Scriptures. Inspiration, therefore, is the process through which God communicates His eternal truth.