Abortion Dr. Morgentaler among those named to Order of Canada

Exhausted

Oct 16, 2005
Earth
✟3,462.00
Faith
Christian
Honestly, I think abortion is totally cool and a woman shouldn't have a kid unless she is sure. And one aspect of being sure you want a kid is being willing to maintain that mindset without letting other people tell you how to treat your own body. Again, that previous sentence was on NOT getting abortions.

I just completely fail to see any reason to not be a-okay with aborting today! Assuming you get one in a timely manner, I have been led to understand that, medically, it is not a difficult procedure.

And, funny thing, some folks earlier in the thread mentioned how mothers should be cared for so hey can have their kids safely? Well, firstly, we dun need more kids, and I would be strongly against the government actually encouraging childbirth. We don't need any more, take a break, girls, you've earned it, and America needs it.

Second, what about the other half of that idea? We should be encouraging and facilitating abortions for tissue samples. There, I said it. Oh snap.

I totally agree with Rock up there. No half-assing this stuff.

Abortion is aces, the more the better.

Reactions: Illuminatus
Upvote 0

FaithLikeARock

Let the human mind loose.
Nov 19, 2007
California
✟4,662.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
He is not getting the award for "getting/giving abortions", he is being awarded for his contribution to the rights of women to make medical decisions affecting them.

By giving abortions.

I really don't like sugar coatings. It doesn't matter how you twist it. It's still giving abortions.

Upvote 0

Exhausted

Oct 16, 2005
Earth
✟3,462.00
Faith
Christian
By giving abortions.

I really don't like sugar coatings. It doesn't matter how you twist it. It's still giving abortions.
Did you read his background? Yes, he is honored because of abortions, but to call all the work the man has done "giving abortions" is clearly a misrepresentation. At best.

He fought for many years to give women a right he knew they deserved.

That is worth honor.

Upvote 0

FaithLikeARock

Let the human mind loose.
Nov 19, 2007
California
✟4,662.00
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Did you read his background? Yes, he is honored because of abortions, but to call all the work the man has done "giving abortions" is clearly a misrepresentation. At best.

He fought for many years to give women a right he knew they deserved.

That is worth honor.

Right of women's rights to have abortions.

Doesn't look like he fought for women's rights in general.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Have you ever been faced with an unwanted pregnancy? No. So who are you to judge women for doing what they felt was best with their unwanted pregnancies?

I was faced with an unplanned pregnancy. By not influencing things to have her aborted my life has been infinitely blessed in more ways than I would have ever imagined.

Women often do things they feel is best when it is in fact dead wrong, ie situations with men which lead to unplanned pregnancies... If we all acted based on our feelings I think crimes of passion would be a daily occurrence for most men and women.

Upvote 0

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You don't speak for most women, mister male. And while you may feel that abortion is killing a human being, I hope you can accept the simple fact that you are in an ever-shrinking minority, soon to be regarded as equal to UFO enthusiasts and herbal medicine fans.

I really do hope that you don't, like, think that someday godly justice will triumph and that abortion will be stricken down as immoral.

But you'd have to understand secular utilitarianism or the like in order to get why abortion is and basically always will be morally acceptable to the majority, so ha! Fat chance, rite?

EDIT: Also, way to go jmverville actually reading the article before passing judgment! You are an intelligent and mature poster this day!

Actually I speak from a myriad of experiences. By aborting a quarter of people over the last 40 or so years we have needed illegal immigrants who are Catholic to fill in the gap. These people are usually not well educated but they tend to have many children. They also tend to vote how the priests tell them to. What do you think that will eventually mean for abortion?

The idea that abortion is morally acceptable to the majority is flat wrong. It was wrong when the Supreme Court said abortion was legal and it is still wrong now. Most people know on a gut level that abortion is evil. It seems that it takes a lot of 'education' to teach someone that abortion is okay.

Upvote 0

Site Supporter
May 26, 2004
Cape Breton
✟740,518.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Actually I speak from a myriad of experiences. By aborting a quarter of people over the last 40 or so years we have needed illegal immigrants who are Catholic to fill in the gap. These people are usually not well educated but they tend to have many children. They also tend to vote how the priests tell them to. What do you think that will eventually mean for abortion?

Illegal immigrants can't vote.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Autumnleaf

Legend
Jun 18, 2005
✟33,297.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Will someone please tell me

a) why abortion is bad for a first trimester foetus?
b) whether human life is intrinsically valuable, and if so, why?

a) Why is killing a 1 year old worse than killing a 30 year old?
b) If George Washington had been aborted where would the US be today?

The answer is abortion kills young people and you don't know who you are killing. In Terminator 2 the kid tells the Terminator, 'You can't just go around killing people.' This applies to abortion.

Upvote 0

HaloHope

May 25, 2007
✟9,938.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Will someone please tell me

a) why abortion is bad for a first trimester foetus?
b) whether human life is intrinsically valuable, and if so, why?

a) Its obviously debatable if the foetus is aware and "alive" at this time. However for me thats not the issue its the possibility of life and who this foetus may turn out to be that makes abortion even at an early stage immoral in my eyes. This foetus is still alive and even while it obviously isnt developed as a baby it will become a baby unless something tragic happens or the foetus is aborted. Abortion is snuffing out the future for this foetus that would otherwise become a a new person, which is why I consider it bad when used as a method of birth control.

b) Human life is valuable to me, as I consider it a gift from God. It is an amazing wonderful world we live in and every person has a chance to experience this and influence the world around them, even a small amount. Again abortion stops a life dead in its tracks before it has a chance to grow up and influence the world and other humans around that person.

That said:- As I dont think my views should be forced on others I am pro-choice. Sadly abortion is so normal these days and done for reasons I consider non-valid (if a mother isn't ready for a child I must admit im of the rather harsh opinion she isnt mature enough to be having sex that can result in childbirth in the first place) and occasionally for reasons I do consider valid (such as if the mothers life is at risk or in instances of rape etc..). I think every effort should be made to encourage people to keep their children rather than aborting, BUT as people arent going to change over night and I don't want people dying from unsafe backalley abortion procedures I realize it has to exsist.

Upvote 0

Exhausted

Oct 16, 2005
Earth
✟3,462.00
Faith
Christian

The idea that abortion is morally acceptable to the majority is flat wrong. It was wrong when the Supreme Court said abortion was legal and it is still wrong now. Most people know on a gut level that abortion is evil. It seems that it takes a lot of 'education' to teach someone that abortion is okay.
I would be fascinated by this if you could actually demonstrate it to be true.

"Most people"? Yeah, sure, that totally explains why abortion is legal in more and more places, and it also explains why so many women get abortions every day. Because most folks know it's evil, and it's only a crazy minority pushing abortion on the rest of us good Christians!

What color is the sky in your world?

Upvote 0

Exhausted

Oct 16, 2005
Earth
✟3,462.00
Faith
Christian
a) Why is killing a 1 year old worse than killing a 30 year old?
b) If George Washington had been aborted where would the US be today?

The answer is abortion kills young people and you don't know who you are killing. In Terminator 2 the kid tells the Terminator, 'You can't just go around killing people.' This applies to abortion.
There isn't much difference, except that by thirty some folks might have actually earned the death penalty, making it okay to kill THEM.

"What if we had aborted ____ famous person!" Is a ridiculously lame argument and you should be ashamed of making it. As an honest answer to your question, someone else would have taken his place. Or they wouldn't. It's irrelevant.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
While I think abortion is a nessecery evil in todays society, I don't think its a "good thing" and certainly something that nobody should be rewarded for.

I don't think he's being rewarded for being an abortionist, he's being commended for his actions that demonstrated his belief in the rights of women not to have to submit to men and/or the whims of some committee in order to make their own decisions.

Upvote 0

wanderingone

I'm not lost I'm just wandering
Jul 6, 2005
New York
✟30,779.00
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What if Hitler had been aborted?

\o/

we wouldn't have the sacred cow of the holocaust... and we'd have to pick some other dictator and his army to use for those instances when we now say "you're acting like Hitler". I suppose we could choose .. I dunno.. pol pot?

Upvote 0

LittleNipper

Contributor
Mar 9, 2005
MOUNT HOLLY, NEW JERSEY
✟10,349.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
A Hero of the Women's Rights Movement in Canada, Dr. Henry Morgentaler will receive Canada's highest honour!

Gov. Gen. Michaëlle Jean has named a leading abortion rights crusader to the Order of Canada, news that has outraged anti-abortion groups.

Dr. Henry Morgentaler is one of 75 Canadians to receive honours for their contribution to the country. The Governor General announced the new inductees on Tuesday after the names were recommended by an advisory panel.

'Hero to millions'

Now 85, Morgentaler, a Polish Holocaust survivor who immigrated to Montreal after the war, opened his first abortion clinic in 1969 and performed thousands of procedures, which were illegal at the time.

Morgentaler, a trained family physician, argued that access to abortion was a basic human right and women should not have to risk death at the hands of an untrained professional in order to end their pregnancies.

His victory came on Jan. 28, 1988, when the Supreme Court of Canada struck down Canada’s abortion law. That law, which required a woman who wanted an abortion to appeal to a three-doctor hospital abortion committee, was declared unconstitutional.

cont'd

backgrounder

It is very sad when a Holocaust survivor cannot see that his standards are no better than those of the Nazis that were once so indifferent to his own survival...

Upvote 0