WI
✟144,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello folks. Whenever we think of a saint, most of us would think of someone from Europe, however, these saints and venerated figures are from Africa and/or are black. :)

Article summary (<20% for fair usage reasons, cos copyright):

Had to use a different AI (Mistral 8x7B) to summarize this one, instead of the AI (Mistral 7B) on my laptop. Jacqueline Burkepile's article, published on June 19, 2020, in Church Pop, highlights several African and African American saints and blesseds, including St. Charles Lwanga, Ven. Augustus Tolton, St. Josephine Bakhita, Ven. Pierre Toussaint, St. Kizito, Servant of God Thea Bowman, St. Simon of Cyrene, and Servant of God Mary Lange. These individuals are commemorated for their significant contributions to the Catholic Church and society despite facing various challenges such as slavery, persecution, and racism. Prayers for their intercession are provided, focusing on themes like faith, conversion, justice, racial harmony, and perseverance.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Grip Docility

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟75,435.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This obsession with race must be really noticeable in the USA :) I don't care what race/skin colour people or believers are luckily - Yeshua and the Apostles were all non-white Jewish with probably a corresponding Middle-Eastern complexion.

But how would people react if the title of that article would read: '8 White Saints & Holy People of God Every Catholic Should Know, With Prayers for Intercession' .... ?

I prefer to not focus/highlight at all on race/skin colour; when mentioned to celebrate the church's diversity - all good, but let's move on quickly after that.

Also being from North-Africa doesn't equate with being black - Saint August of Hippo (even mentioned in the article) was from North-Africa but certainly not black (he was of Berber/Amazigh origin). It's a similar hijacking attempt to claiming Cleopatra was a black queen; the Egyptians were highly offended recently and were quick to correct this anomaly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟144,421.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This obsession with race must be really noticeable in the USA :) I don't care what race/skin colour people or believers are luckily - and Yeshua and the Apostles were all non-white Jewish with probably a corresponding Middle-Eastern complexion.

But how would people react if the title of that article would be: '8 White Saints & Holy People of God Every Catholic Should Know, With Prayers for Intercession' .... ?

I prefer to not focus/highlight at all on race/skin colour; when mentioned to celebrate the church's diversity - all good, but let's move on quickly after that.

Also being from North-Africa doesn't equate with being black - Saint August of Hippo (even mentioned in the article) was from North-Africa but certainly not black (he was of Berber/Amazigh origin). It's a similar hijacking attempt to claiming Cleopatra was a black queen; the Egyptians were highly offended recently and were quick to correct this anomaly.
Bro, come on my friend. I knew that someone was gonna say this. Yes, the article has an error, but yes, Berbers are more brownish white compared to black. I was just going to show that there are saints from different parts of the world that have different skin colors. But yeah, I heard about the Cleopatra anomaly, and was upset that Hollywood would blatantly lie that Cleopatra was black, when she was actually Macedonian (European). Glad I stayed away from that movie.

But yes, we can move on quickly from this article. I do not like talking about skin color either, as we are all equal under God's eyes, but just wanted to show that the Catholic church is not all white, and I want to make black folks here (especially from the US) on the forums glad that there are black saints to look up to.

Upvote 0