WI
✟145,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I would encourage everyone to watch the video in the OP; before making arguments from ignorance.
Nah. God bless. I am leaving this thread, plus this video should go in the firearms subforum, not the politics one.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟341,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I hate to tell you, but wild animals can be dangerous in the Lower 48, too.

Yes. I intended my image of Alaskan polar bears to be standing in for the various dangerous animals that exist in various parts of the country. I understand if you need to defend yourself against the local wildlife.

My concern is that the speaker in the video didn't seem to be talking about animals.

Upvote 0

returntosender

EL ROI
Site Supporter
May 30, 2020
casa grande
✟365,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Nah. God bless. I am leaving this thread, plus this video should go in the firearms subforum, not the politics one.
You realize you're talking to hark! Support:)

• Informative
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟145,432.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You realize you're talking to hark! Support:)
Yeah. Thank you for the heads up bro. I will not enter any threads with him as the OP. He does seem like a nice guy though, but we think totally polar opposites.

Upvote 0

Fantine

Dona Quixote
Site Supporter
Jun 11, 2005
✟1,136,233.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
I think that this wasn't posted in the firearms forum because a video that says "everyone" needs to own an AR-15 is meant to reach a wider audience, including people like me, who finds guns irrelevant, unnecessary, and personally repugnant.

On the other hand, there is no way that that video would "sell" me on the idea.

Promoters would have more success selling videos to the blind, or audio books to the deaf, or bikinis to octagenarians.

So yes, I agree. It is better to preach to the choir than to the political forum.

BTW, it is not the gun issue that makes me a progressive or a Democrat. It's economic issues, social justice issues, etc., etc.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟52,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. I intended my image of Alaskan polar bears to be standing in for the various dangerous animals that exist in various parts of the country. I understand if you need to defend yourself against the local wildlife.

My concern is that the speaker in the video didn't seem to be talking about animals.
And if he wasn't? Self protection is self protection regardless of the predator. Yes, I know there are denominations that do not support self-defense. That, apparently, was why my family left one over two hundred years ago, so that's hardly a new issue. If that's your belief, far be from me to try to convince you otherwise. And yet this is right back at a person deciding whether or not they should defend themselves and whether or not to be armed. The contention is whether others should make that decision for us.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I trust you mean actual pigs, and that you're not using "wild pigs" metaphorically to refer to human beings.
We have herds of wild pigs in TX. They will chase down people and eat them. The counties place bounties on them from time to time.

One night I saw three herds with about 50 pigs per herd, within about two miles.

One of my close friends got bloody, being chased by a single pig, in broad daylight on her property, before she reached safety.

• Informative
Reactions: PloverWing
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
This was already covered in post #11; but by then I had already watched the video, and read the Statement of Purpose for the firearms subforum.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟52,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
We have herds of wild pigs in TX. They will chase down people and eat them. The counties place bounties on them from time to time.

One night I saw three herds with about 50 pigs per herd, within about two miles.

One of my close friends got bloody, being chased by a single pig, in broad daylight on her property, before she reached safety.
Hark's not joking here. Hogs are omnivorous and opportunistic. Even domestic hogs can be vicious. Not just the boars, either. Sows with pigs are notorious.

Due to my age, I have a boar spear I carry with me now when I hear animal noises outside at night. I hope I don't have to use it, but it's better than the eye hoe handle I use as a walking stick. My second eye hoe handle, actually. The first broke in normal use, so they're not always reliable. If I knew there was a strong possibility of encountering a boar, I'd have a shotgun loaded with rifled slugs. That said, a few days ago heard of a boar that survived a rifled slug passing through about the shoulders, healing and gaining weight after the incident.

FWIW, a proper boar spear is a thrusting weapon. You don't throw it. But it's sort of primitive and things would get up close and personal and fatal if there's a slip.

Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I think that this wasn't posted in the firearms forum because a video that says "everyone" needs to own an AR-15 is meant to reach a wider audience, including people like me, who finds guns irrelevant, unnecessary, and personally repugnant.
That's an interesting hypothesis.

You might want to objectively read post 11, with an open mind, before settling on any potentially biased conclusions.

However, it might be more fruitful to discuss the topic of the thread, rather than conjecture on the motives of the person who posted it.

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟341,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

In that case, yes, defend yourself from the herds of wild pigs. The phrase "criminal predators" threw me; I think of non-human animals as dangerous or carnivorous but not "criminal".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
If I knew there was a strong possibility of encountering a boar, I'd have a shotgun loaded with rifled slugs.
A 12 ga, 1 oz. slug has a lot of stopping power, but there are drawbacks, to going with shotgun shells.

Let's take the Mossberg 590M for example. It's a semiauto, which would give good firing speed; if you were being stampeded by 50 man eaters; but the mags only hold 20 rounds max. That means you would have to reload twice to get at least one shot in every pig; but that 20 round mag would add considerable weight to the gun. This would make it more difficult to swing the gun back and forth, to hit the most imminent threats.

Aside from that, you have to carry the weight of those extra mags with you; as you go strolling in the Texas night.

Certainly the stopping power of the 12 ga, 1 oz, is an advantage; but that tradeoff might not be advantageous to someone who is less muscular.

I've seen women hurt themselves with the recoil of 12 ga shotguns.

Reactions: Studyman
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
In that case, yes, defend yourself from the herds of wild pigs. The phrase "criminal predators" threw me; I think of non-human animals as dangerous or carnivorous but not "criminal".
In Texas we can defend our lives against criminals too.

God Bless Texas!

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟377,480.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Numbers 35 would be a good place for you to start.
Wow. In no way...at all.

Also, God instructs Israel to kill babies in verses just like this one.

So im not sure you want to start thinking of these stories as divine instructions from God that are applicable to us now.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Elliewaves
Upvote 0

HARK!

שמע
Christian Forums Staff
Supervisor
Site Supporter
Oct 29, 2017
US
✟1,116,753.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Wow. In no way...at all.
Way.
Also, God instructs Israel to kill babies in verses just like this one.
Not just like this one. Different time, different place, different circumstances.

Context is key to understanding
So im not sure you want to start thinking of these stories as divine instructions from God that are applicable to us now.
Understanding Yah's word is just as relevant today, as it was yesterday, as it will be tomorrow.

I'll leave you with this:

(CLV) Lk 22:36
Yet He said to them, "But now, he who has a purse let him pick it up, likewise a beggar's bag also; and he who has none, let him sell his cloak and buy a sword.

Upvote 0