Why did Paul talk about tongue speaking only in 1 Corinthians?

Receivedgrace

Aug 9, 2022
Hershey
✟21,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Let's see a few quotes. We have already dealt with 1 Corinthians 13:8-10 so you don't have to include that one. What we need to see is a direct statement from Paul to say that the gift of tongues is limited to the Apostolic Age. Unless you can produce a definite quote that says that, there is no way that you can prove that the gift of tongues is not available for today. I am not saying that what we see on Youtube are the genuine example of the same gift of tongues that Paul taught in 1 Corinthians 14. I would see that the vast majority of what we see is fabrication through the flesh because they contradict Paul's teaching.

Now having said that, taking random verses out of context will not prove anything. If Paul meant that the gift of tongues is temporary, just for the Apostolic Age and just a sign gift to support the establishment of the Church, then he would say so in clear statements to that effect. Talking about the tower of Babel is irrelevant, because Babel was all about man's pride and wanting to set up of monument for themselves. The division of languages was God's way of getting mankind to be distributed throughout the world instead of being limited to one place. The meaning of the world "Bab-El" is not "babble". It is the place name that became Babylon, which stands for the seat of paganism. So to link it with the common Charismatic "babble" of uninterpreted tongues shows ignorance in the meaning of Biblical words and place names.

So, let's be having you. Show me where Paul says expressly that the gift of tongues is due to cease at the establishment of the Church and the end of the Apostolic Age. Then what you are saying might have some merit.
The bible does not specifically mention the trinity, yet it is well established and accepted as truth.

Are you confirming what Jesus said in Matthew 13:11-17?

Consider what Jesus said in Matthew 7:21-23.

There are many who are outwardly religious yet do not possess a genuine saving knowledge of Christ. They have in fact changed Christ into what they desire Him to be instead of receiving Him as the bible describes Him.

As a bible student you well know the significance of the rule of first occurrence. Know as well that the Holy Spirit is not involved in anything that is not promised in God's word. The ministry of the Holy Spirit is well defined, again by Jesus, in John 16:7-11.

Religious folks are slow to be convicted about sin, righteousness and judgment. They often find it difficult to accept that their righteousness is a great impediment to them coming to Christ.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟845,486.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
The bible does not specifically mention the trinity, yet it is well established and accepted as truth.

Are you confirming what Jesus said in Matthew 13:11-17?

Consider what Jesus said in Matthew 7:21-23.

There are many who are outwardly religious yet do not possess a genuine saving knowledge of Christ. They have in fact changed Christ into what they desire Him to be instead of receiving Him as the bible describes Him.

As a bible student you well know the significance of the rule of first occurrence. Know as well that the Holy Spirit is not involved in anything that is not promised in God's word. The ministry of the Holy Spirit is well defined, again by Jesus, in John 16:7-11.

Religious folks are slow to be convicted about sin, righteousness and judgment. They often find it difficult to accept that their righteousness is a great impediment to them coming to Christ.
You've sidestepped giving a substantive answer to my direct question. As far as the Trinity is concerned, there are definite indications that there are three persons in the Godhead, even though the word "trinity" is not mentioned. But your argument, in relation to any definite statement about the gifts being temporary, doesn't hold water, because there is a complete absence in the New Testament of any indication that the gifts of the Spirit are temporary. In fact, the Scripture says that the gifts and calling of God is without repentance. What this means is that once God has given a gift, He does not cancel it. Also, the purpose of the gifts is for the building up of the body of Christ and for the common good. It is clear that the body of Christ still needs building up and therefore the spiritual gifts are still needed for that purpose.

You might as well be honest and say that you can't find anything that Paul has said about the gifts being temporary, just for the Apostolic age.

Upvote 0

Receivedgrace

Aug 9, 2022
Hershey
✟21,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
You've sidestepped giving a substantive answer to my direct question. As far as the Trinity is concerned, there are definite indications that there are three persons in the Godhead, even though the word "trinity" is not mentioned. But your argument, in relation to any definite statement about the gifts being temporary, doesn't hold water, because there is a complete absence in the New Testament of any indication that the gifts of the Spirit are temporary. In fact, the Scripture says that the gifts and calling of God is without repentance. What this means is that once God has given a gift, He does not cancel it. Also, the purpose of the gifts is for the building up of the body of Christ and for the common good. It is clear that the body of Christ still needs building up and therefore the spiritual gifts are still needed for that purpose.

You might as well be honest and say that you can't find anything that Paul has said about the gifts being temporary, just for the Apostolic age.
You will not or cannot receive what God has written in His word. No amount of scripture is going to persuade you that tongues in today's church are not of God.

I'll not strive with you over this matter any longer.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟845,486.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
You will not or cannot receive what God has written in His word. No amount of scripture is going to persuade you that tongues in today's church are not of God.

I'll not strive with you over this matter any longer.
Everything we need to know about the gift of tongues is written in 1 Corinthians 14. There is not one reference there or anywhere else where Paul has stated clearly that the spiritual gifts including tongues were limited to the Apostolic period and would cease as soon as the canon of Scripture is finalised. I asked you to provide Scriptural proof that tongues were meant to be temporary, and you have not. I say that the permanence of the spiritual gifts for the whole of the church age is written in Scripture, and that cessation through some decree in heaven is not. Telling me that cessation is written in God's Word is not credible unless you can show me the actual Scriptures that put it in black and white and not some allusion from unrelated verses. So, in the light of that you have decided to give up, then that would settle it then.

Upvote 0

Receivedgrace

Aug 9, 2022
Hershey
✟21,248.00
Country
United States
Faith
Fundament. Christ.
Marital Status
Married
Everything we need to know about the gift of tongues is written in 1 Corinthians 14. There is not one reference there or anywhere else where Paul has stated clearly that the spiritual gifts including tongues were limited to the Apostolic period and would cease as soon as the canon of Scripture is finalised. I asked you to provide Scriptural proof that tongues were meant to be temporary, and you have not. I say that the permanence of the spiritual gifts for the whole of the church age is written in Scripture, and that cessation through some decree in heaven is not. Telling me that cessation is written in God's Word is not credible unless you can show me the actual Scriptures that put it in black and white and not some allusion from unrelated verses. So, in the light of that you have decided to give up, then that would settle it then.
Yet 1 Cor 13:8-14 remains a mystery to those seduced by the mystic charms of tongues not of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0

Presbyterian Continuist

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Mar 28, 2005
Christchurch New Zealand
Visit site
✟845,486.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Yet 1 Cor 13:8-14 remains a mystery to those seduced by the mystic charms of tongues not of the Holy Spirit.
Because the New Testament is the Old Testament revealed, then one needs to delve into the Old Testament to find the link that will more clearly interpret the verses. In my view, the "tongues" described are the world languages that divided the population at the Tower of Babel. In this context, there will come a time when the multiplicity of languages will no longer be needed and when we all stand worshiping the Lord before His throne, we will all be speaking the same language again. As I typed this, I thought of references in the book of Revelation that clearly show what 1 Corinthians 13:8-14 is all about. Therefore basing the interpretation of the passage from an anti-tongues perspective produces a skewed view of the passage based on prejudice, and therefore faulty exegesis, ignoring other Biblical passages, Old Testament and Book of Revelation.

Reactions: Pioneer3mm
Upvote 0