Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I was wondering, would it be considered Biblical to watch church services online on your computer or on your television on a normal routine basis every Sunday in lieu of attending in person?
For any particular good reason?

Upvote 0

PloverWing

Episcopalian
May 5, 2012
New Jersey
✟341,104.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
The Bible isn't going to address it directly, because the technology of Zoom or YouTube was unknown in ancient times.

One important question is: Why do you attend church? That's something to think about and decide for yourself. If you're chiefly attending to listen to some music and listen to a sermon, you can probably do that just as well over Zoom. For me, what I'm chiefly doing on Sunday morning is gathering with other Christians to make an offering to God, an offering of prayers and singing and so on; while that's possible over Zoom (we muddled through during the 2020 lockdown), I found it much harder over a Zoom connection. Additionally, for me, receiving Communion each Sunday is important to me, and that's not possible without a shared physical presence.

Maybe different things are important to you when you worship. What do you intend to do when you gather on Sunday morning, and can that be done if you're in a separate room from the rest of the congregation?

Upvote 0

SeventhFisherofMen

You cannot fool Jesus
Jan 9, 2013
CA
✟405,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Separated
Politics
US-Republican
I was wondering, would it be considered Biblical to watch church services online on your computer or on your television on a normal routine basis every Sunday in lieu of attending in person?
I don't have a car but even when i did it was covid. I got used to watching online but one thing i know is that i didn't feel spiritually safe at the large church i was going to. i have prayed to Jesus about this and believe He understands. That being said i do believe Jesus is with us wherever we go, and that means if you watch from home or in person. Tell Jesus He understands.

Upvote 0

dzheremi

Coptic Orthodox non-Egyptian
Aug 27, 2014
✟434,470.00
Country
United States
Faith
Oriental Orthodox
Marital Status
Private
I haven't been able to attend liturgy in years due to my worsening health situation and corresponding lack of transportation (can't drive myself anymore, and I don't know even a single OO person in my local area, so I don't even know who I would ask to go with, or how I would meet such a person in the first place when I'm basically a shut-in), but even then I would never dare to say that this is somehow okay. Yes, COVID or other realities of life can be scary, but that's not a reason to not attend the liturgy -- in fact, I would say that's a reason to attend! (As if we need more.) :)

Obviously with my own situation being as it is, I wouldn't judge anyone, but I wouldn't personally rely on internet church services in lieu of actually attending, if that were possible in my current situation. There is no substitute for being in the house of the Lord, surrounded His holy angels and saints who join us in praise of Him. I mean, even if I give responses along with a streaming video, all I'm *really* doing is talking at my TV. (And yes, God is with us everywhere. To quote Hank Hill, I'm sure He's a lot of places He doesn't want to be. That doesn't mean that we don't need to meet Him as He calls us to. Moses was made to stand before the burning bush (that wasn't his idea); we are called to go to church, if at all possible.

Upvote 0

Hopes

Jun 11, 2013
✟25,310.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I dont go to church either. I have gone to several churches and none of which I would go back to because of various reasons. I watch and do Church and Bible study at home and I probally do more than I would guess that most Church going christians do since I dont watch tv except the news and some pure flix and the rest of the time its Bible teaching of some kind going on. I dont know if I will attempt to go to a church no more because the ones I have gone to were so seriously messed up and I dont want to risk going back to another one at least for now.

Upvote 0