Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I expect there's less bias than people are suggesting. If these media are suppressing misinformation, and one political wing is more misinformed, then an evenhanded moderation of misinformation may appear politically biased.

But more importantly, I don't care whether bias existed. Private companies are allowed to proclaim Jesus or suppress communism.

This website has moderation policies, but I'm not referring the matter to a Congressional subcommittee.

Any hint that government power should be used to regulate these private companies is an actual threat to the First Amendment, unlike biased moderation policies.
If Twitter is too biased, they can always go to one of the less biased places like Parler, Gab or Truth Social. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,219,805.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Seriously though, Twitter is “entertainment” it’s not “real life”.

I wish that were the case.

Unfortunately, the platform that originally started as a way to troll people advocating gluten free diets and homeopathy, and for people to throw lighthearted barbs about pineapple on pizza, turned into the one the major vehicles by which candidates connect with people, and how people connect with news.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟52,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But more importantly, I don't care whether bias existed.
Obviously not, but you should. One of the earmarks of repression is the control of media to benefit a person or a party. Your statement on the 1st Amendment is accurate, yet presents a problem: What happens if a media source holds a monopoly? I think there's laws against that sort of thing in broadcasting, but what about social media? When someone tried to set up a competitor to Twitter in 2021, if you'll recall they were shut out, with little if any complaints of a monopoly from Democrats.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟52,731.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
Site Supporter
Feb 6, 2002
Erewhon
Visit site
✟944,888.00
Faith
Atheist
  • Optimistic
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0

pgp_protector

Noted strange person
Dec 17, 2003
Earth For Now
Visit site
✟405,028.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟721,626.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

There are lists — blacklists — of whole groups of people who Twitter simply decided to crush. And liberal, former NYT reporter Weiss says that politics was driving at least part of the operation.​
One such blacklisted user was Standford Professor Dr. Jay Bhattacharya.​
Additionally, Weiss revealed that conservative talk show host Dan Bongino had been placed on a “Search Blacklist” and conservative activist Charlie Kirk had been placed on a “Do Not Amplify” blacklist.​
Capture.JPG
Hmmm.... I did not lie to congress, because we call the action a different name.​
Has anyone seen evidence of a prominent social media - media personality - or politician from the left being shadow banned?​

• Informative
Reactions: HARK!

stevil

Godless and without morals
Feb 5, 2011
✟253,461.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Old Twitter manipulates content. No one is surprised. There a more accurate description. The so called trending is not organic nor algorithmic. And based on release information all the censoring, de-boosting, shadow banning and outright banning heavily favors one side of the partisanship. No cookie for guessing which side.
It heavily favours truth, and disfavours dangerous misinformation, discrimination, calls to violence....
The USA political right doesn't have to hang its hat on dangerous misinformation, discrimination, calls to violence....
Instead the USA right can talk truth and can talk about conservative policies. Those blacklists aren't labelling people as being right leaning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟844,822.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
So you're saying there's no reason for FCC concern.

No, what I was saying is there is no media monopoly.

If I were to respond to your FCC news, it would be to say that it has nothing to do with the Twitter or the internet.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟250,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
Social media is a big part of the U.S. infrastructure, with Twitter a major player. This is systemic fraud which altered the results of elections. The fascists involved must be brought to justice.
That... is insane. Twitter literally has zero obligation to allow any post for any reason whatsoever. They are a private company. If the CEO held a news conference the day before an election and announced that they were suppressing all conservative tweets of any kind because conservatives are poopy heads THERE IS LITERALLY NOTHING THE GOVERNMENT COUD DO ABOUT IT. That pesky first amendment and all.

But you want them to actually do something about it?? Is that what small government means?

The Right lives in an alternate reality with "alternate facts" and actual, literal "fake news."

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟222,032.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
That... is insane. Twitter literally has zero obligation to allow any post for any reason whatsoever. They are a private company. If the CEO held a news conference the day before an election and announced that they were suppressing all conservative tweets of any kind because conservatives are poopy heads THERE IS LITERALLY NOTHING THE GOVERNMENT COUD DO ABOUT IT. That pesky first amendment and all.

But you want them to actually do something about it?? Is that what small government means?

The Right lives in an alternate reality with "alternate facts" and actual, literal "fake news."
That Twitter can ban a post or person is well known. That is not the news. But a private company, whether it be a social media company or the New York Times, can be held liable for consequences of misrepresentation. Not for getting something wrong and when finding out making a correction, but deliberate misrepresentation.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

“Too big to fail” has turned into “too big to NOT be regulated by our government”, (for some reason).
One wonders why we have to have the government being the discerner of Truth?
Isn’t this a complaint of our Conservative brethren?, “we don’t trust ‘the government to tell us the Truth!”, but the Government is fine making sure Twitter’s “honest”.

This a-here is nothing more than plain old-fashioned Doublethink, a fine example to boot!

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,371.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
That Twitter can ban a post or person is well known. That is not the news. But a private company, whether it be a social media company or the New York Times, can be held liable for consequences of misrepresentation. Not for getting something wrong and when finding out making a correction, but deliberate misrepresentation.
Who gets “decide” what obligations (if any) Twitter has to only present material that is not “misrepresentations”?

Are we going to haggle over that or “let the market” decide?

Upvote 0