Aug 8, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
✟10,460.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
LamorakDesGalis said:
I say bring them on. Its so much easier to defend the home turf than it is to bring down a system. Some years ago I thought I'd go after the preterist point of view, especially those who had a Theonomic background. Instead of bringing the system down, I made new friends and developed a respect for different viewpoints, even though I still disagree.
Amen. I'm building up many new dispensationalist friends here on CF who I respect even though I completely disagree with their interpretive model.

Upvote 0

LamorakDesGalis

Sep 22, 2004
Dallas Texas
✟11,088.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Gold Dragon said:
Others like myself see no contradictions because of the use of contextual hermeneutic that is very similar to the basic one used by dispensationalists, without the use of the concept of dispensations. That hermeneutic requires looking at the literary, historical and cultural context of every passage in the bible to determine the original intent of the author and correctly apply it to our current cultural context. It also inolves viewing the bible as God's narrative revelation to mankind to be interpreted and applied instead of a series of laws and commands to be rigidly and literally followed.

Hi Gold Dragon,
I appreciate your comments and observations. I would suggest that the differences are not so much found in distinguishing dispensations as its found in interpreting the Biblical covenants. The covenants are the foundation from which the dispensations are distinguished. I agree that both dispensationalists and many non-dispensationalists use very similar hermeneutical approaches to Scripture. I dislike it when fellow dispensationalists claim the dispensational interpretation is "more literal" than other approaches. Things have changed significantly in the 30+ years since Ryrie has made that claim.

The "separation" of exegetical decisions occurs in the presuppositions (assumptions) which all of us take toward the text. For example, dispensationalists give progressive revelation a higher priority when viewing text than non-dispensationalists. Therefore the covenant promises given to Israel remain as promises for the future, since the original recipients are still in mind.

Lamorak Des Galis

Reactions: FreeinChrist
Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,790,473.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
LamorakDesGalis said:
I do appreciate a dispensational forum, as its lately something I've been wanting to do - discuss issues with fellow dispensationalists.

I say bring them on. Its so much easier to defend the home turf than it is to bring down a system. Some years ago I thought I'd go after the preterist point of view, especially those who had a Theonomic background. Instead of bringing the system down, I made new friends and developed a respect for different viewpoints, even though I still disagree.

Lamorak Des Galis
Well, that is a good attitude!! :)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.