The neurotic God?

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,149,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think we must create everything we experience in our minds, we all have our own version of reality.
I'm an Critical Realist with Existential leanings, but I'm not going to accept that Reality is anything other than what it is in itself. Usually, the more honest approach is for each of us to admit the limits of our own perceptions, but this request is usually taken as an insult my many.
The Bible as far as I can tell was written for a particular time and a particular culture... But a nuanced reading will give the essence that could be understood for today's world. Sitting out the essence from the cultural is something that seems to be lost on some who take the Bible very literally, or at least as literally as they can.

So what is essential?

What is essential in relation to what? Epistemology? Theology? Metaphysics? What are you asking about here?

On the whole, I don't think we can always just make up or own Christology from an utterly subjective whole-cloth. The Philosophy of History, as well as Reality as it is, will impinge upon any solipsistic attempts to define Jesus as "only that which we conceive to be needed for the moment."

Upvote 0

Yusuphhai

Messianic Arabic-Semitic Chinese
Oct 19, 2005
Beijing China
✟175,083.00
Country
China
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Korean Christians imagine Jesus to be like a Korean. But this is only a small part of the attributes of Jesus. The Temple of Solomon reserved a place for the Gentiles. The attributes of God are far beyond human imagination.

Isaiah 55:9 For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts.

Reactions: Mark Quayle
Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,999.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
I'm an Critical Realist with Existential leanings, but I'm not going to accept that Reality is anything other than what it is in itself. Usually, the more honest approach is for each of us to admit the limits of our own perceptions, but this request is usually taken as an insult my many.

What is essential in relation to what? Epistemology? Theology? Metaphysics? What are you asking about here?

On the whole, I don't think we can always just make up or own Christology from an utterly subjective whole-cloth. The Philosophy of History, as well as Reality as it is, will impinge upon any solipsistic attempts to define Jesus as "only that which we conceive to be needed for the moment."
I just mean the underlying truth that the scriptures and stories convey. I'm not a philosopher so i don't know what you are talking about.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,149,521.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I just mean the underlying truth that the scriptures and stories convey. I'm not a philosopher so i don't know what you are talking about.

Alright. Fair enough. I agree that the Biblical writings are a product of their time and cultural situatedness. But even so, I think it's another few steps from this situatedness to reach a "safe" assumption that early Christians (Jewish ones for that matter) simply made Jesus fit the bill of the Messiah they were looking for. There was more to their interpretation---or various interpretations---of Jesus than that ... despite what the current skeptical atheists want to so vehemently assert (or assume?) from the conjecture of mythicism.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟965,381.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
If Moses was born today, would Genesis be written differently? Would there be a different ten commandments? Would we be presented with a different God?
No, and no, and no.
Isn't Jesus a new version of God created for the times?
No, Jesus is God the Son, who is a bit different from, or who started out a little different from, both God the Father, and God the Holy Spirit, etc.
Or looked at more internally.. do we create a version of God in our own minds in order to address our own inner conflicts today?
If we do, there is most usually an Angel, fallen or otherwise, for that, etc, and that can sometimes happen on our way to God, etc.

God Bless.

Upvote 0