Wales
✟112,999.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
If Moses was born today, would Genesis be written differently? Would there be a different ten commandments? Would we be presented with a different God?

I came across this quote:
Gods always behave like the people who make them.
By Zora Neale Hurston.

Isn't Jesus a new version of God created for the times?

Or looked at more internally.. do we create a version of God in our own minds in order to address our own inner conflicts today?

Jun 16, 2020
London
✟109,344.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If Moses was born today, would Genesis be written differently? Would there be a different ten commandments? Would we be presented with a different God?

By Zora Neale Hurston.

Or looked at more internally.. do we create a version of God in our own minds in order to address our own inner conflicts today?

yes ... there is God and then there is the perception of God ...

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟53,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No. Deuteronomy 5:29 has this:

Oh that there were such a heart in them, that they would fear me, and keep all my commandments always, that it might be well with them, and with their children for ever!

Then there's Ezekiel 18:23:

Have I any pleasure in the death of the wicked? saith the Lord Jehovah; and not rather that he should return from his way, and live?

Then there's the book of Jonah, with God preferring that Nineveh might turn from wickedness and be spared than to destroy it.

Jesus is God the Son, God incarnate, He said "I and the Father am one," and "The man who has seen Me has seen the Father." There is no "new" version; there is only one.

Reactions: dms1972
Upvote 0

Maria Billingsley

Site Supporter
Oct 7, 2018
Martinez
✟946,389.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

By Zora Neale Hurston.

Why Moses? How about Abraham or even Adam? To answer your question yes it would be written differently and would have little impact on today's society. What we would have is a God who decided not to have a relationship with His creation from the very beginning. Be blessed.

Upvote 0

HTacianas

Jul 9, 2018
Florida
✟330,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

By Zora Neale Hurston.

There are people in modern times who create their own god. It happens with Satan, Odin, Wicca and witchcraft in general, and a few others. Generally speaking, whatever they approve of their god approves of. Whatever they disapprove of their god disapproves of.

I suppose you might accuse Moses of the same thing, but there seems to be a visceral agreement with the laws Moses handed down. Don't steal, don't murder, don't have sexual relations with someone else's wife. Of course as Christianity and Judaism have it, some of those laws were already in effect before Moses came along.

Upvote 0

Mark Quayle

Monergist; and by reputation, Reformed Calvinist
Site Supporter
May 28, 2018
Pennsylvania
✟802,712.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Widowed

By Zora Neale Hurston.

The fact that we can come up with scenarios in our mind doesn't mean that our supposings are valid. Moses was not born today, thus nothing to be learned here.

Jesus is not a version of God, nor created. He is God himself, become man. His human body was created, yes. Notice that Hurston is doing exactly that concerning which she is remarking —creating a version of God in her own mind... Apparently, she doesn't consider the Bible worth pursuing for her answers.

Upvote 0

Laodicean60

Jul 2, 2023
NM
✟43,802.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
No, He is not. If Jesus were here today instead of his ministry lasting 3 years it would be 3 days because of neurotic people.

Upvote 0

d taylor

Oct 16, 2018
Mississippi
✟257,406.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single

By Zora Neale Hurston.

-
Many take The Bible and fashion God to fit their beliefs.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟932,119.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
No we would not. The Law of God is perfect converting the soul - Ps 19:7
do we create a version of God in our own minds in order to address our own inner conflicts today?
Many people do that - and in fact they have been doing it in both OT and NT - and it is condemned by God in both OT and NT

Ps 50:
19 You let your mouth loose in evil,
And your tongue harnesses deceit.
20 You sit and speak against your brother;
You slander your own mother’s son.
21 These things you have done and I kept silent;
You thought that I was just like you;
I will rebuke you and present the case before your eyes.

God is "the same - yesterday today and forever" Heb 13:8
God says "I change not" Mal 3:8

Reactions: Hawkins
Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟578,076.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hebrews 13:8 KJV
8 Jesus Christ the same yesterday, and to day, and for ever.

Malachi 3:6 KJV
6 For I am the LORD, I change not; therefore ye sons of Jacob are not consumed.

James 1:17 KJV
17 Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟288,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

By Zora Neale Hurston.

Having the highest goal of being in the image of God is what it means to believe in Him, or in other words, the way that we choose to live testifies about what we believe to be true about the character of God. For example, by doing good works in obedience to God we are testifying about God's goodness, which is why our good works bring glory to Him (Matthew 5:16), and by testifying about God's goodness we are also expressing the belief that God is good. The way to believe that God is holy, righteous, just, merciful, and so forth is by doing what what is holy, righteous, just, merciful, and so forth.

Our desire clouds our judgement so that by ourselves we can't be sure if something is truly good or if we just think that it is good because we desire it, so when a person is acting in accordance with whatever they desire and is leaning on their own understanding of right and wrong by doing what is right in their own eyes, then indeed they are creating a version of God in their own minds. I've also heard it said that if the God that someone worships would never do anything that they disagree with, then they just might be worshiping an idealized form of themselves. For instance, some people consider intolerance is the greatest sin, so they have created a version of God in their own minds who is tolerant.

In Proverbs 3:5-7, we have a choice between leaning on our own understanding of right and wrong or trusting in God with all of our heart to correctly divide between right and wrong through obeying what He has instructed in all of our ways and He will make our way straight. So when we rely on what God has instructed instead of our on our own understanding, then we are not creating our own version of God, but rather we being conformed to the image of the one true God.

The character traits of God is eternal, so any instructions that He has ever given for how to testify about His character traits are eternally valid, though they can be expressed differently depending on the context. For example, the 2nd Commandment against idolatry is to our relationship with God what the 7th Commandment against adultery is to our relationships with our neighbors, so they are both based on the same principle or character trait. God could give 100 examples of how to testify about His righteousness in various situations or He could give a different set of 100 examples of how to do that, but they would all have the same principle in common, so it is possible that if God's law were given today that it might use a different set of examples of how to testify about His righteousness that is more relevant to the modern context, but they would still be based on the same principle, and all of the examples that God has given would remain valid. On the other hand, if a different set of laws were given that wre based on a different set of principles or character traits, then it wold involve presenting a different God with a different character than that of the God of Israel.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟53,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Of course as Christianity and Judaism have it, some of those laws were already in effect before Moses came along.
Leviticus 20:22:

And you shall not walk in the customs of the nation that I am driving out before you, for they did all these things, and therefore I detested them.

There is the Mosaic Law, but there is also a moral code expected of non-Jews. Think of this moral code as a subset of the Mosaic code, one that existed before the Law given to Moses.

Upvote 0

Tuur

Oct 12, 2022
Southeast
✟53,606.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
No, He is not. If Jesus were here today instead of his ministry lasting 3 years it would be 3 days because of neurotic people.
Jesus' ministry lasted three years because that was God's will. More than once the Gospels tell of instances when there were those who would have ended His ministry far sooner, most by violence.

• Agree
Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟288,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Leviticus 20:22:

And you shall not walk in the customs of the nation that I am driving out before you, for they did all these things, and therefore I detested them.

There is the Mosaic Law, but there is also a moral code expected of non-Jews. Think of this moral code as a subset of the Mosaic code, one that existed before the Law given to Moses.
Saying that there is a moral code that is a subset of the Mosaic code is saying that we be acting morally while disobeying the parts of the Mosaic code that are not part of that subset. However, the Bible never lists which laws are part of that subset, it never even refers to that subset, and there are no examples in the Bible of disobedience to any of God's laws being considered to be moral. Morality is in regard to what we ought to do and we ought to obey God, so all of God's laws are inherently moral laws. Legislators give laws according to what they think ought to be done, so to suggest that some of God's laws are not moral laws is to claim that God made a moral error about what ought to be done when He gave those laws and to therefore claim to have greater moral knowledge than God. All of God's righteous laws are eternal (Psalms 119:160), so they all existed before they were given to Moses.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,154,048.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Most likely.

By Zora Neale Hurston.

The answer to this will depend upon was the central core truths are that hold a Coherence Theory of Truth together. The counter question here is, then: to what extent [today] do we "create" a version of God in our own minds?

Upvote 0

Tellyontellyon

Jan 19, 2020
Wales
✟112,999.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Buddhist
Marital Status
Married
Most likely.

The answer to this will depend upon was the central core truths are that hold a Coherence Theory of Truth together. The counter question here is, then: to what extent [today] do we "create" a version of God in our own minds?
I think we must create everything we experience in our minds, we all have our own version of reality.
The Bible as far as I can tell was written for a particular time and a particular culture... But a nuanced reading will give the essence that could be understood for today's world. Sitting out the essence from the cultural is something that seems to be lost on some who take the Bible very literally, or at least as literally as they can.

So what is essential?

Upvote 0

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟384,329.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
If Moses was born today, would Genesis be written differently?
The book of Genesis starts with creation and brings us to the time of Moses, so obviously Genesis would probably be the same, but there would be quite a few more books between Genesis and the time of Moses. The Bible tells us what we need to know to be saved, and even though it is correct on every topic it touches, it is not a science textbook and shouldn't be treated as one.
Would there be a different ten commandments?
I don't think so. These commandments are timeless, and even the Sabbath teaches us that a day of rest and contemplation of God is a good thing.
Would we be presented with a different God?
No.
Gods always behave like the people who make them.
By Zora Neale Hurston.

I heard another quote, but can't recall who said it originally: God created man in His image, and man has been trying to return the favor ever since.

God is who He is, and 4000 or so years has not changed Him. Jesus showed us God's heart for mankind in a more intimate way, but the Old Testament is full of records of God dealing mercifully and lovingly with humanity, and Jesus warned of the final judgment more than He spoke of heaven.

Upvote 0

Derf

Aug 8, 2021
Colorado Springs
✟100,092.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics