Seattle area.
✟626,472.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You guys are so funny with this alarmist "ThEy'Re BlOcKiNg AmBuLaNcEs!!!11 PeOpLe ArE dYiNg!!!!11" call out. How many people have died in the back of ambulances as a result of one of these protests? Got any numbers? It's often used as justification for violence against the protestors up to and including murdering them with vehicles and even firearms.

I've seen some of these protests in the past where the protesters actually make a hole for emergency vehicles to get through. And what happens when an accident due to negligence happens and backs traffic up on the bridge? Are the victims of the accident "pure evil" for blocking ambulances then? Was it "pure evil" when protestors shut down the Hudson River bridge in New York for an anti-human trafficking protest? Didn't see any of you guys complaining about that one. Or is it just when it's a protest whose position you don't agree with?
Intentionally blocking roads is dangerous and a potential threat to safety and human welfare. As for your analogy, there's a difference between an accidental collision, and someone intentionally ramming their car into another vehicle. Just like there's a difference between a traffic jam due to an accident and people intentionally setting up sudden roadblocks and therefore intentionally trapping people. No matter what group is doing it.
Sorry you guys were inconvenienced. By all means keep discussing it though. That's what these protests are all about. It's their very purpose.
Discussing this isn't discussing what's going on in Palestine. And it just reenforces the view of them being pro-terrorist.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,211,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Didn't see any of you guys complaining about that one. Or is it just when it's a protest whose position you don't agree with?
The problem is they are blocking traffic on foot. The truckers obstruct roads and border crossings got a good deal of support and there were screams about totalitarianism when they were dispersed.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟886,230.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
The problem is they are blocking traffic on foot. The truckers obstruct roads and border crossings got a good deal of support and there were screams about totalitarianism when they were dispersed.
The problem is there is no such thing as a right to protest. What there is is the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances. These people are not assembling peaceably, they are disturbing the peace.

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Jesus is the only Way
Site Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟721,956.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"The protests, which took place in dozens of U.S. cities including San Francisco, Chicago, New York City, and Philadelphia, were organized by A15 Action, a newly formed group that worked to "coordinate a multi-city economic blockade on April 15 in solidarity with Palestine." The group's website directs users to a 'bail and legal defense fund' hosted through ActBlue, the Democratic Party's online fundraising juggernaut.
Those who donate to the fund, the ActBlue page says, are sending money to the Community Justice Exchange, which provides 'money bail, court fees and fines' and other legal services to "community-based organizations … that contest the current operation and function of the criminal legal and immigration detention systems." The exchange is a project of the Tides Center, a left-wing dark money network funded by Soros and other liberal billionaires."
This should not be a surprise to anyone.
It would be interesting to find someone with face recognition software and compare these illegal protestors with the ones identifying as Antifa - the Occupy - then.... well you get the idea.

Reactions: Ceallaigh
Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,220,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Its the annoying style I'm thinking of in particular. I doubt it does any good.

Protest generally can fare better. I think back to the anti apartheid / divestment protest of the 80's. As I recall they played a significant role in pressuring many portfolio managers and corp execs to consider backing out of South Africa, and the white minority govt there could see the writing on the wall.

And absent visible civil rights protest in the US racist systems of law could have stayed on the books decades longer in certain states, I think.

Soup on plexiglass painting covers. Not so much.
Correct, and those types of efforts and protests usually are more focused in their "targets" (so to speak), and are usually led by activists who aren't completely devoid of planning and a leadership structure.

With regards to civil rights protests in the US of the past, everyone can pretty much point to who the de factor "leaders" were of those movements, they were targeted at the entities responsible, and everyone (via the aforementioned leaders) knew what the vision and tangible list of goals were.

Meaning, when national political leaders wanted to "right the ship" and make adjustments, they knew exactly what to offer, and exactly who to talk with in terms of making that offering.

1713393793826.png

1713393837105.png

If President Biden wanted to meet with the leader of the "We're mad about Gaza, and we're going to block traffic" or the "We're mad about Oil, so take that Mona Lisa!", who would he reach out to? JFK, Lyndon Johnson, and Jimmy Carter knew who to talk to get a conversation started and get the ball rolling.

Not sure if you're familiar with the show "The Newsroom", but this scene hit the nail on the head

Upvote 0

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟463,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
We have some hope, but the eschatologists do not think so.
Eh...I think the goal is just to look at the signs and not disregard them. Might be a thousand years. Might be this year.

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟439,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
Correct, and those types of efforts and protests usually are more focused in their "targets" (so to speak), and are usually led by activists who aren't completely devoid of planning and a leadership structure.

With regards to civil rights protests in the US of the past, everyone can pretty much point to who the de factor "leaders" were of those movements, they were targeted at the entities responsible, and everyone (via the aforementioned leaders) knew what the vision and tangible list of goals were.

Meaning, when national political leaders wanted to "right the ship" and make adjustments, they knew exactly what to offer, and exactly who to talk with in terms of making that offering.

View attachment 346056

View attachment 346057

If President Biden wanted to meet with the leader of the "We're mad about Gaza, and we're going to block traffic" or the "We're mad about Oil, so take that Mona Lisa!", who would he reach out to? JFK, Lyndon Johnson, and Jimmy Carter knew who to talk to get a conversation started and get the ball rolling.

Not sure if you're familiar with the show "The Newsroom", but this scene hit the nail on the head
I dont recall the anti apartheid movement in the US as having leaders that anyone could name. The campus movements were publically anonymous in terms of leaders, highly visually prominent, generally non obstructive of important functions, and successful in getting some large institutions to threaten SA divestment. It was a successful part of the picture.

What they generally did not do was destroy stuff or attempt to.

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟146,857.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Eh...I think the goal is just to look at the signs and not disregard them. Might be a thousand years. Might be this year.
Ok. Anyways, I am leaving this thread. God bless.

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,494.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
The whole “people are protesting wrong!” argument serves to dissuade folks from talking about why people were protesting In the first place.
While it is somewhat conducive to further our (collective) rhetorical blade-sharpening, going down these rabbit-holes misses the point.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,220,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The whole “people are protesting wrong!” argument serves to dissuade folks from talking about why people were protesting In the first place.

...but for a lot of these cases, everyone's already talking about these issues already when the protesting starts, and it's less about "raising awareness" and more about "getting angry can causing random disruptions for things people were already well aware of"

When determining what's a right/wrong or good/bad way of protesting, one would need to ask themselves what the purpose of the protest is and how you can draw a line from actions -> accomplishing objectives. "Here's what we're doing, and here's how it'll help affect change" or "I'm angry, so now I'm going to disrupt a bunch of people

Blocking a bridge in a city full of like-minded individuals (who have virtually no immediate say in the decision making process) who are already overwhelmingly on your side, over an issue that everyone's already well aware of doesn't seem like it's a well-thought out plan.

What's there best case scenario here?
"If we stand on the bridge long enough, maybe the heads of state of multiple countries and the UN will demand a two-state solution and 8 different countries will withdraw their financial support for Israel"?

That doesn't seem very plausible.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

rjs330

CF Ambassadors
May 22, 2015
✟343,327.00
Faith
Pentecostal
I think any citizen participating should be deported.

I agree. They need to "raise awareness".TM I had no idea this was an issue until yesterday.

/snark
I hate to say it, but I bet there are some citizens who have no idea about what's going on in Gaza.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

God is perfect - Nothing is an accident
Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟608,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You guys are so funny with this alarmist "ThEy'Re BlOcKiNg AmBuLaNcEs!!!11 PeOpLe ArE dYiNg!!!!11" call out. How many people have died in the back of ambulances as a result of one of these protests? Got any numbers? It's often used as justification for violence against the protestors up to and including murdering them with vehicles and even firearms.

I've seen some of these protests in the past where the protesters actually make a hole for emergency vehicles to get through. And what happens when an accident due to negligence happens and backs traffic up on the bridge? Are the victims of the accident "pure evil" for blocking ambulances then? Was it "pure evil" when protestors shut down the Hudson River bridge in New York for an anti-human trafficking protest? Didn't see any of you guys complaining about that one. Or is it just when it's a protest whose position you don't agree with?

Sorry you guys were inconvenienced. By all means keep discussing it though. That's what these protests are all about. It's their very purpose.
You people love Palestinians so much you're okay with innocent Americans dying in order to stage some worthless protest that does NOTHING at all. That's sick.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,211,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
You people love Palestinians so much you're okay with innocent Americans dying in order to stage some worthless protest that does NOTHING at all. That's sick.
How many died as a result of the traffic jam?

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟250,222.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
lol, no I'm not okay with that. Got any examples of it happening, though?

The thing is, I don't even think these protestor SHOULDN'T be arrested or held accountable for any kind of damage they might actually cause. It's not even about loving Palestinians (and if by "love" you mean don't wish them to be murdered then sure I guess. Weird way to put it though). I, personally, would only argue that they do have the right to protest. I don't think they should be threatened with literal death because of it. Just like people who are actually crossing the border illegally. I don't want them shot and drowned in the river. I don't celebrate that. I think they should certainly be subject to the punishments the law dictates, but I don't call them "animals" and act like they're not worth being treated humanely. The same goes for these protestors for exercising their rights. I might not necessarily agree with them or their methods, but I accept and support their right to do it. That seems to be the difference between the sides in just about everything political.

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟886,230.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I hate to say it, but I bet there are some citizens who have no idea about what's going on in Gaza.
I seriously doubt that. I think the only way that could be possible would be for person living way off-grid in a remote cabin with no electricity and no human contact.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟608,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How many died as a result of the traffic jam?
Hey, sometimes people drive drunk and don't kill anyone... So it's okay to drive drunk?

How about we show some maturity in our posts.

Upvote 0

Desk trauma

Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,211,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Hey, sometimes people drive drunk and don't kill anyone... So it's okay to drive drunk?

How about we show some maturity in our posts.
Yeah, perhaps by sticking to what happened. People blocked a road, that’s illegal and prosecuting them is appropriate. It’s not kidnapping, murder, treason etc.

Upvote 0

ThatRobGuy

Part of the IT crowd
Site Supporter
Sep 4, 2005
Here
✟1,220,204.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I think any citizen participating should be deported.
I assume you're being a tad facetious here...

Per the 14th amendment, deportation/revocation of rights to be here only pertains to non-citizens, and denaturalized citizens who've gone through due process

A person born in the US (with birthright citizenship, which was affirmed in 1868) is not subject to removal unless they officially renounce their citizenship...and even then, there has to be another country willing to take them in...you can't just load people up on a bus and drop them off in Vancouver or Windsor, Ontario...that's not how it works.

And in a legal sense, "deporting" a person born in the US is impossible. Since "deportation", in the legal definition of the process, is "the removal of a foreign national"

Natural born citizens blocking traffic on a bridge waving Palestinian flags may be idiots, but they're not foreign nationals, therefore, can not be deported. They can face other consequences for the litany of statute violations they're committing with their actions...but removal from the country isn't one of them.

Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟608,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't think they should be threatened with literal death because of it. Just like people who are actually crossing the border illegally. I don't want them shot and drowned in the river. I don't celebrate that. I think they should certainly be subject to the punishments the law dictates, but I don't call them "animals" and act like they're not worth being treated humanely. The same goes for these protestors for exercising their rights.

...So *don't* throw them off the Golden Gate Bridge next time. Got it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Landon Caeli

Site Supporter
Jan 8, 2016
Silicon Valley
✟608,030.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm actually here in the S.F. Bay area this week for work, and found myself behind one of those Palestinian supporters with the ugly scarf in Chipotle... I had to step out of line for a minute, to stop myself from saying something.

Upvote 0