Minnesota
✟222,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

I think any non-citizen participating in these protests should be immediately deported.[/url]

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟146,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

I think any non-citizen participating in these protests should be immediately deported.[/url]
While I do not think that extreme, I think that protests should be done elsewhere to not interrupt the flow of traffic. :) Imagine being an employee at a high stakes job that starts at a weird time of day, and the bridge is shut down cos of protests. The manager may be a jerk, and fire you for being late cos the bridge was blocked off. I'm gonna say this: It feels that the world is on fire. This war has got to end. Both sides need to lay down arms.

Here is the article's summary:

The article published by AFP France 24 on April 15, 2024, reports on global protests organized by the group A15 Action in solidarity with Palestine. The demonstrations involved blocking major economic choke-points in various cities around the world, including the United States, Canada, Italy, South Korea, Colombia, Belgium, Greece, Spain, and Australia.

In the United States, protesters blocked roads in Philadelphia and shut down highway traffic heading into Chicago's O'Hare International Airport (my commentary: been there before, nice beautiful airport, built in the 1940s). The California Highway Patrol reported making arrests before announcing that traffic had reopened on the Golden Gate Bridge, where demonstrators held a banner reading "Stop the world for Gaza."

The protests came as US President Joe Biden faces continued criticism from within his own party about Washington's support of Israel following last October's Israeli offensive in Gaza, which resulted in the deaths of over 1,000 civilians, mostly women and children, according to Palestinian health ministry figures. At least 33,797 people have since been killed in Gaza. The growing death toll has unnerved voters and some elected officials, including Biden ally Senator Chris Coons, who called for conditioning US aid to Israel following a strike that killed seven American charity workers in Gaza.

As the United States heads toward elections in November, Biden will have to balance discontent among Democrats with those who support Israel while also facing competition from Republican nominee Donald Trump. In Los Angeles, a few hundred people marched downtown behind a banner reading "End the siege on Gaza now, end US funding to Israel." Other protests in the United States were held in Connecticut and Oregon.

Protesters in Philadelphia noted that the demonstrations came on the same day as the US tax deadline, with organizer Hannah Zellman telling the Philadelphia Inquirer that they should be funding things that support their city rather than Israel. The article emphasizes that money is a significant factor in influencing elected leaders, with Hayshawiya, an organizer at the April 15, 2024 Golden Gate Bridge protests, stating they would stay until the police forced them out.

• Useful
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟77,527.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I gotta wonder what the police would have done about those protests today on April 15th if the protestors were filled with conservatives?
Instead, the police allowed the anti-Isreal protestors to do whatever they wanted to do on the Golden Gate Bridge and also in Chicago, as well as other places today, for far, far, too long.

Upvote 0

Vambram

Born-again Christian; Constitutional conservative
Dec 3, 2006
Saint James, Missouri
✟77,527.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟146,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I gotta wonder what the police would have done about those protests today on April 15th if the protestors were filled with conservatives?
Instead, the police allowed the anti-Isreal protestors to do whatever they wanted to do on the Golden Gate Bridge and also in Chicago, as well as other places today, for far, far, too long.
I am not sure, as a conservative majority did not happen (I dislike speculation when it comes to politics or news) But, the police would have shut a conservative protest down sooner, as LA, California is far left. If a hypothetical city was more in the center, politically speaking, both conservative protests and liberal protests would be allowed to happen, and might be shut down after a maybe a day, instead of minutes or hours. There should be designated protest areas, that do not block traffic, or impede people. Maybe a football field would work better, or a public park.

• Winner
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Belk

Site Supporter
Dec 21, 2005
Seattle
✟926,246.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟153,504.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat

Including those authorized to be here?
Because they chose acts of civil-disobedience to protest about a country that ISN’T the USA?

Upvote 0

durangodawood

Dis Member
Aug 28, 2007
Colorado
✟439,285.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Single
I wish there was some sort of data about whether this style of protest works. But I doubt thats possible to sort out.

I suppose the gambit is the even if the public hates you, there's still some value in getting just the name of your issue out there in the media.

• Agree
Reactions: AlexB23
Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟146,935.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I wish there was some sort of data about whether this style of protest works. But I doubt thats possible to sort out.

I suppose the gambit is the even if the public hates you, there's still some value in getting just the name of your issue out there in the media.
There are not many articles written on if a road blockage protest works. But, here is a study of road closures due to marathons. So, a road closure due to a protest might have a similar effect: Clogged arteries: the unseen cost of road-blocking protests, and the journal publication https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmsa1614073

Summary: Road closures from marathons lead to longer travel time for emergency vehicles, leading to higher risk of death for emergency victims. The article in Stat News by Christopher M. Worsham and Anupam B. Jena discusses the potential negative impacts of blocking traffic during protests, specifically citing a study showing that road closures due to marathons resulted in a 13.3% increase in death rates for elderly patients experiencing major cardiac emergencies. Traffic-blocking protests, which are often unpredictable and take place during peak traffic hours, can also lead to significant ambulance delays and pose a risk to individuals suffering from life-threatening conditions. While peaceful protest is a fundamental aspect of democracy, the authors argue that protesters and law enforcement agencies should consider the potential harm to public health caused by road closures and work towards minimizing these risks.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟250,232.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat

I mean, if this sort of protest didn't "work" we wouldn't be talking about it. THAT is the purpose. To get it out into the public and get people talking about it. Positive or negative. Any publicity is good publicity.

And IF they can actually make an economic impact that's measurable, that's icing on the cake. That's when people who are in a position to actually do something will start to listen.

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Desk trauma

The pickles are up to something
Site Supporter
Dec 1, 2011
✟1,211,046.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
We need to make it unlawful for these protests that interfere with other people's civil rights. Especially when comes to ambulances.
Blocking roads is already illegal.

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟217,578.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We need to make it unlawful for these protests that interfere with other people's civil rights. Especially when comes to ambulances.
Civil disobedience implies breaking a law.

Upvote 0

jacks

Er Victus
Site Supporter
Jun 29, 2010
Northwest US
✟687,703.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I see blocking roads like throwing paint on famous art work. Yes, it gets publicity for the cause, but I believe that is outweighed by the negative impact it has. Even those who might support the cause, may turn against it and those indifferent or unaware of the cause to reject it, since it is tied together with unlawful behavior.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

RestoreTheJoy

Site Supporter
Jul 13, 2018
Passing Through
✟463,875.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

And all the citizens should be imprisoned with lengthy sentences. One can protest peacefully at appropriate locations. One CANNOT block roads and take hostages who cannot move, including emergency vehicles. This must cease now.

Upvote 0

Chesterton

Whats So Funny bout Peace Love and Understanding
Site Supporter
May 24, 2008
Flatland
✟886,296.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single

I think any non-citizen participating in these protests should be immediately deported.
I think any citizen participating should be deported.
I agree. They need to "raise awareness".TM I had no idea this was an issue until yesterday.

/snark

Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟222,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
"The protests, which took place in dozens of U.S. cities including San Francisco, Chicago, New York City, and Philadelphia, were organized by A15 Action, a newly formed group that worked to "coordinate a multi-city economic blockade on April 15 in solidarity with Palestine." The group's website directs users to a 'bail and legal defense fund' hosted through ActBlue, the Democratic Party's online fundraising juggernaut.
Those who donate to the fund, the ActBlue page says, are sending money to the Community Justice Exchange, which provides 'money bail, court fees and fines' and other legal services to "community-based organizations … that contest the current operation and function of the criminal legal and immigration detention systems." The exchange is a project of the Tides Center, a left-wing dark money network funded by Soros and other liberal billionaires."
This should not be a surprise to anyone.

• Informative
Reactions: jacks
Upvote 0

Valletta

Oct 10, 2020
Minnesota
✟222,132.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are not many articles written on if a road blockage protest works. But, here is a study of road closures due to marathons. So, a road closure due to a protest might have a similar effect: Clogged arteries: the unseen cost of road-blocking protests, and the journal publication https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/nejmsa1614073

Summary: Road closures from marathons lead to longer travel time for emergency vehicles, leading to higher risk of death for emergency victims. The article in Stat News by Christopher M. Worsham and Anupam B. Jena discusses the potential negative impacts of blocking traffic during protests, specifically citing a study showing that road closures due to marathons resulted in a 13.3% increase in death rates for elderly patients experiencing major cardiac emergencies. Traffic-blocking protests, which are often unpredictable and take place during peak traffic hours, can also lead to significant ambulance delays and pose a risk to individuals suffering from life-threatening conditions. While peaceful protest is a fundamental aspect of democracy, the authors argue that protesters and law enforcement agencies should consider the potential harm to public health caused by road closures and work towards minimizing these risks.
It's very dangerous. People don't realize how closed the Black Lives Matter protest on the Interstate came to causing the deaths of many. But if it's a left wing cause they usually get off with little or no penalties.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Upvote 0