Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟379,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
Well, I can't speak for others, but I can. Gender is what you think you are, sexually.
That's incorrect.

Sex is what you actually are. XX vs XY, defects notwithstanding (e.g. XXY)
Close. It is the physiological markers that indicate whether you are male, female or intersex and while genetics is the MOST common one, there are others that are more or less well known and important (including internal and external genetalia)

The history of the word gender is not very long (1800s) and it did mean the same thing as "sex" until about the 1950s when sociologists started to differentiate between sex and gender.

Reasonably Sane

With age comes wisdom, when it doesn't come alone.
Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟30,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
We've seen very different videos. Allow me to recommend anything by Jon Stewart.
I like to watch his videos, but mostly for the comic relief. He is a comedian, of course. Like George Carlin before him, he sometimes brings up some good cultural comentary in his humor and sometimes misses the mark. i.e. his bias gets in the way. Meanwhile, none on the left can hold a candle to the likes of Candice, Jordan Peterson, Andrew Klaven, et al. And I've never seen anything on the left that can compare to the excellent work being done by Sky News.

And finally, I compare the left's "The View" with the right's "The Five" and it's like comparing college professors in the latter to kids in preschool in the former. It's laughable, the different use of the brains and logical thinking in the two different shows.

I've said for decades that the primary argument tools of the left are
1. Ad hominem attack
2. Projection
3. Deflection

And in the last couple of years another has been added:
4. Gaslighting

Don't get me wrong, everybody is guilty of all these things from time to time, but it is the left's MO. I was on a forum a few years ago that had a no-holds-barred policy. I enjoyed it because I am strong conservative, and about 80% of the posters there were strong left. That is actually where I came up with the list above. Anyway, they changed their policy and banned personal attacks (ad-hominem). A funny thing happened. About a third of the leftists ended up permabanned. And watching it unfold was downright comical. The rule was created because they were embarrassing themselves and the site moderators and those of us on the right were tying them in logical knots, increasing their profanity and name calling. Eventually the site settled down and, though it was still heavy leftist, it was much more fairly populated.

Oh, and one or two conservatives were also permabanned. Like I said, everybody does it, but it is the MO of the left. And you can see why whenever you watch those videos of Q&A sections of conservative speakers at universities. Charlie Kirk, Candice Owens, Michael Knowles, Ben Shapiro Jordan Peterson and Matt Walsh - among others - are deadly to leftists. Yet "fools rush in" to try to take them down.

Lastly, to be fair, the reason the left is so bad at logic and arguments is because they are usually really young. What Rush Limbaugh called "brains full of mush". And we all were at one time. But most of us out grow it. It's why I like to say that if you raised the voting age to 25 (when the average human brain is fully developed), our country would look very different. But still, these kids are good for a laugh on YouTube. It's just imperative that we don't take them too seriously until their brains fully mature.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Vambram
Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟30,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
That's incorrect.

Close. It is the physiological markers that indicate whether you are male, female or intersex and while genetics is the MOST common one, there are others that are more or less well known and important.

The history of the word gender is not very long (1800s) and it did mean the same thing as "sex" until about the 1950s when sociologists started to differentiate between sex and gender.
We agree on the last sentence. Some are just not aware that someone tried to differentiate them. It's one reason I keep an old dictionary on hand. I like to see how words are redefined with the culture. The definition of a "Computer" in the 1930's is interesting. Something along the lines of "One who computes."

Regarding the first line, it's XX vs XY for anything involving physicality. Regarding other stuff, I suppose it's up to those that control entrance into a particular group or activity to determine when they want to deviate from the XX/XY determinant. I believe the best protection for a particular culture is to keep it the way it's been for, well, the entire history of mankind. I'm good with that. If a guy wants to dress like a girl and say he's a girl, he has the right to do that, IMO. But everyone else has a right to say he's nuts - and to his face if they are rude enough to do so, and not invite him to any parties. As Candice Owens says, "Life is hard. Wear a helmet."

• Agree
Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟289,551.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The fact that he elicits that reaction from people reflects more on them than on him.
Blame the victim.

This acting out violence (on an old man yet) along with the verbal "F*#* Biden signs is not the Great America I know.
In fact, I do not recognize it at all.

Reactions: Brihaha
Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟218,450.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The times of bipartisan agreement ended in the late 2010s and early 2020s. We are headed the wrong way.
Bipartisanship could make a comeback.

Upvote 0

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟716,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Pounded at an event in Kansas.

Joe Biden effigy hit and kicked at Republican event

A karate school decided that would be appropriate.

Former Kansas gop head said it was shameful to occur at an official event (difficult to say who put it on; leads line says no state involvement t but thr Twitter post said it was joint with the county.

I just find it weird because Biden is about the most bland vanilla president you could paper mache together. The fact that he elicits that reaction from people reflects more on them than on him.

It wasn't an official Republican event... It was just a thing people put on at the OP convention center.

This is actually where I grew up... Lol.

This booth spoken of was hosted by a Karate school to promote their self defense class - they were the ones with the effigy.

They would have had to rent the booth, so they paid for a spot and they just have to follow the rules of the center.

We can discuss whether it was good taste or not but a karate class using an effigy of Biden to promote their classes at a Republican event - however unofficial - is kinda cute in it's own way.

If it was an effigy of Trump I would be offended though, so probably not in the best taste all things considered. But you have to admire the advertising factor... They win on that. Everyone in America is talking about their karate class.. lolol

Last edited:
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟379,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I like to watch his videos, but mostly for the comic relief. He is a comedian, of course. Like George Carlin before him, he sometimes brings up some good cultural comentary in his humor and sometimes misses the mark. i.e. his bias gets in the way. Meanwhile, none on the left can hold a candle to the likes of Candice, Jordan Peterson, Andrew Klaven, et al. And I've never seen anything on the left that can compare to the excellent work being done by Sky News.
Could you share some of their clever humour? I have only seen cutting video commentary and nothing overly humous from the little i've seen of those folks.

And finally, I compare the left's "The View" with the right's "The Five" and it's like comparing college professors in the latter to kids in preschool in the former. It's laughable, the different use of the brains and logical thinking in the two different shows.
Never watched either of those programs. Don't know why anyone would be drawn to watch political commentary on tv these days anyways.

I've said for decades that the primary argument tools of the right are
1. Ad hominem attack
2. Projection
3. Deflection

And in the last couple of years another has been added:
4. Gaslighting

Don't get me wrong, everybody is guilty of all these things from time to time, but it is the left's MO.
I'm stuck here cause I think there is a mistype.

I was on a forum a few years ago that had a no-holds-barred policy. I enjoyed it because I am strong conservative, and about 80% of the posters there were strong left. That is actually where I came up with the list above. Anyway, they changed their policy and banned personal attacks (ad-hominem). A funny thing happened. About a third of the leftists ended up permabanned. And watching it unfold was downright comical. The rule was created because they were embarrassing themselves and the site moderators and those of us on the right were tying them in logical knots, increasing their profanity and name calling. Eventually the site settled down and, though it was still heavy leftist, it was much more fairly populated.
That's weird. On this website I RARELY see the right leaning folks put up much of a strong argument. There a few folks who describe themselves as centre who do a better job.

Oh, and one or two conservatives were also permabanned. Like I said, everybody does it, but it is the MO of the left. And you can see why whenever you watch those videos of Q&A sections of conservative speakers at universities. Charlie Kirk, Candice Owens, Michael Knowles, Ben Shapiro Jordan Peterson and Matt Walsh - among others - are deadly to leftists. Yet "fools rush in" to try to take them down.

Lastly, to be fair, the reason the left is so bad at logic and arguments is because they are usually really young. What Rush Limbaugh called "brains full of mush". And we all were at one time. But most of us out grow it. It's why I like to say that if you raised the voting age to 25 (when the average human brain is fully developed), our country would look very different. But still, these kids are good for a laugh on YouTube. It's just imperative that we don't take them too seriously until their brains fully mature.
Oh good heavens this is such idiocy. Ageist nonsense spouted by an old person directed at young people. And then when ageist stuff from young people gets directed at old people.

I find it unreservedly hilarious when old people speak pejoratively of younger generations as though old people on the whole are intelligent, well mannered, and well informed. It's just....so funny to me.
Engaging with people in online forums and using that as a way to judge everyone else is ridiculous.

Upvote 0

The IbanezerScrooge

I can't believe what I'm hearing...
Sep 1, 2015
Florida
✟251,360.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
TBF, abusing political effigies has a storied history in the U.S. I guess it's fallen out of favor in the last 50-60 years, but it still gets used from time to time. I seem to remember an Obama effigy several years ago. Whatever makes them feel better I guess, lol. It's not a voodoo doll.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟379,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
It wasn't an official Republican event... It was just a thing people put on at the OP convention center.
The tweet indicates it was a "joint venture" from the KSGOP and JCGOP.

This booth spoken of was hosted by a Karate school to promote their self defense class - they were the ones with the effigy.
As I indicated.

They would have had to rent the booth, so they paid for a spot and they just have to follow the rules of the center.
No argument there. Well, Maaaaaybe that a certain measure of decorum be followed.....

We can discuss whether it was good taste or not but a karate class using an effigy of Biden to promote their classes at a Republican event - however unofficial - is kinda cute in it's own way.
I understand the initial reaction but I would disagree; All the moreso in our current political climate.

If it was an effigy of Trump I would be offended though, so probably not in the best taste all things considered.
I appreciate your consistency.

I would even expect things like this to happen at fairs or people's houses or whatever. It just seems bad taste for that kind of behaviour to be associated with an actual governing party.

Even just a simple "That was in poor taste. My bad" would be enough.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟379,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
We agree on the last sentence. Some are just not aware that someone tried to differentiate them. It's one reason I keep an old dictionary on hand. I like to see how words are redefined with the culture.
To be fair, it wasn't "culture", it was "knowledge and study" that refined and redefined the word. Suggesting it's culture makes it seem like it's a bit capricious but it was anything but that.

Regarding the first line, it's XX vs XY for anything involving physicality.
I'm not totally sure what you mean here but again, genetics is only one of the ways to define biological sex

Regarding other stuff, I suppose it's up to those that control entrance into a particular group or activity to determine when they want to deviate from the XX/XY determinant.

I believe the best protection for a particular culture is to keep it the way it's been for, well, the entire history of mankind.
But that doesn't make sense. Yes, if you didn't want your culture to change, then don't let it change. But that is, simply put, not pragmatic in a free society.

If you are REALLY interested in being part of a culture that never changes (or BARELY changes) you need to visit the primitive cultures like the Masai or some folks deep in a jungle.

I'm good with that. If a guy wants to dress like a girl and say he's a girl, he has the right to do that, IMO. But everyone else has a right to say he's nuts - and to his face if they are rude enough to do so, and not invite him to any parties.
Yes, all those things are true. And then THOSE people who say he's nuts will also have their own consequences foisted on them by the culture of the time.

Sounds like a perfect system (except for the mental health affects that trans people suffer with due to stigma and hatred pointed at them.

As Candice Owens says, "Life is hard. Wear a helmet."

My problem is that the people who say these comments are usually the ones making it hard for others. There is no OBLIGATION to be a jerk to people you disagree with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hazelelponi

Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2018
USA
✟716,056.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Even just a simple "That was in poor taste. My bad" would be enough.

The paper said they contacted the KSGOP and were told it wasn't a joint venture:

Current Kansas GOP chairman Mike Brown told 27 News: "The event Friday had nothing to do with KSGOP."

It was just a Johnson County thing... it's a fairly wealthy area though, people like to organize events...

But your correct, they should put out a short statement of basic apology.

We should keep in mind that in today's political climate it's a good idea to keep a much better decorum all the way around. :)

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟30,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Could you share some of their clever humour? I have only seen cutting video commentary and nothing overly humous from the little i've seen of those folks.
One of my favorites immediately came to mind. It's quite old and, "comically", was created years before cancel culture was even a thing. It was definitely on my radar though. Which is why I enjoy it so much. It's 14 years old. Here you go. The video quality is pretty poor because it's so old (144p)

And here he is four years ago drilling into it in more detail. Both videos are pretty short.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟379,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
One of my favorites immediately came to mind. It's quite old and, "comically", was created years before cancel culture was even a thing. It was definitely on my radar though. Which is why I enjoy it so much. It's 14 years old. Here you go. The video quality is pretty poor because it's so old (144p)
I didn't watch all of this. I will admit his delivery was pretty appealing but unfortunately, he just described what was happenning instead of showing copious examples of it happenning. And then it becomes completely subjective instead of an opinion based on examples.

And I mean in the end nobody was shut up. The two people who claimed it the loudest had pretty much the biggest platform. It's just blather

Jon Stuart was a master because he'd make a claim and them throw up 8 examples of party members doing it.

And the evidence would be powerful and more convincing to be true. Sadly It was gloomy (and funny) at times. It was quite a show.

And here he is four years ago drilling into it in more detail. Both videos are pretty short.
There were parts of his argument that I appreciated; parts I would question and parts I disagree with.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟30,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
To be fair, it wasn't "culture", it was "knowledge and study" that refined and redefined the word. Suggesting it's culture makes it seem like it's a bit capricious but it was anything but that.

I'm not totally sure what you mean here but again, genetics is only one of the ways to define biological sex

But that doesn't make sense. Yes, if you didn't want your culture to change, then don't let it change. But that is, simply put, not pragmatic in a free society.

If you are REALLY interested in being part of a culture that never changes (or BARELY changes) you need to visit the primitive cultures like the Masai or some folks deep in a jungle.

Yes, all those things are true. And then THOSE people who say he's nuts will also have their own consequences foisted on them by the culture of the time.

Sounds like a perfect system (except for the mental health affects that trans people suffer with due to stigma and hatred pointed at them.

My problem is that the people who say these comments are usually the ones making it hard for others. There is no OBLIGATION to be a jerk to people you disagree with.
I'll just put it this way. Some cultural changes are fine. Others, not so much. It's a good idea to keep rape, murder, canibalism, beastiality, etc. illegal. And that should be intuitively obvious. But there is a movement to make pedophilia legal. That would be a cultural change.

But as I've said before, The US seems to be following the same path as ancient Rome, even to the place they were when they were destroyed. I'm talking about sexual perversion.

But my point is that I'm not trying to keep the culture the same. Rather, I've discovered that multiculturalism is poison to a country, and that defining men and women is actually as easy as it ever was. XX vs XY. And those that want to confuse the issue are, imo, of the same ilk of those that are trying to take us down the same path as Rome in its end. And the real problem is that change that used to take generations is now being made or enforced in a few short years. i.e. the culture was able to absorb change without dramatic and negative consequences. This time it's already become ugly.

So, some can try to change "what is a man", all they want, but most prefer to return to what science teaches us. i.e. we can identify male and female in the human race as easily as we can in cows, dogs and crows. We don't have to become obtuse about how the world works. That path is nonsense, and of late is being exposed as such. More and more are now saying, "are you XY?. then you can play men's sports, but not womens, since you are not a woman. You area a man. And no, you can't get pregnant."

Note: I'm using the modern push for gender ambiguity as simply one example of the stuff we are talking about here.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟30,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Those people whining "Oh the economy!" and "I cant afford a house!"

Suck it up, people!
Exactly. When I was young I couldn't afford a house either.

But regarding the economy in general, it's one reason I think the western world is about done. Specifically, the US got rich rebuilding the world after WWII. But that ship has sailed. By the end of the 1960's we had squandered much of those riches on the Vietnam war, and other silly campaigns which carried on for decades. And the country has been living on ever more maxed out credit cards. It's why we had to leave the gold standard. And that, BTW, is what doomed us. It made our money "fiat" money. Fiat money always collapses.

And while the dollar was backed by gold, other currencies were backed by the dollar. When gold was yanked out of the equation, it sealed the fate of civilization in general. That is why so many weird things are now happening. The whole thing is collapsing as I type this, but "they" are pulling out all the stops to hide the truth. Don't look at the sheer size of the homeless problem. Don't look at countries allowing illegals in to prop up the population to feed an ever enlarging economy that depends on endless population growth while their citizenry are not producing enough children to replace them, much less grow the economy.

So yeah, the economy sucks, and there simply is NO man made solution. When that happens it means we are entering desperate times. And that includes desperate nations. And desperate times call for desperate actions - by people AND nations. It's what gave us WWII. And no earthly leadership can do a darned thing about it. Not China, Russia, European nations, the US (democrat or republican) or Canada. We are all on this ride to the end.

This is why I say, 2024 is going to be one for the history books, like 1939. And 2025 will be more so, like 1940-1945.

This one is gonna leave a mark. Prepare accordingly. Trust in the Lord and fear not. This life is a mist. Eternity is a bit longer.

• Agree
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
✟379,596.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I'll just put it this way. Some cultural changes are fine. Others, not so much. It's a good idea to keep rape, murder, canibalism, inappropriate behavior with animals, etc. illegal. And that should be intuitively obvious. But there is a movement to make pedophilia legal. That would be a cultural change.
There is a movement that wants to make it easier for pedophiles to recieve the proper psychological supports foe their condition with the goal of learning how to deal with and repress (or maybe safely express....no idea how with that) their urges.

That is a more thorough explanation of the circumstances.

But as I've said before, The US seems to be following the same path as ancient Rome, even to the place they were when they were destroyed. I'm talking about sexual perversion.
Rome or Sodom and Gomorrah (as according to my signature).

But my point is that I'm not trying to keep the culture the same. Rather, I've discovered that multiculturalism is poison to a country, ti
i disagree entirely.

and that defining men and women is actually as easy as it ever was. XX vs XY. And those that want to confuse the issue are, imo, of the same ilk of those that are trying to take us down the same path as Rome in its end. And the real problem is that change that used to take generations is now being made or enforced in a few short years. i.e. the culture was able to absorb change without dramatic and negative consequences. This time it's already become ugly.

So, some can try to change "what is a man", all they want, but most prefer to return to what science teaches us. i.e. we can identify male and female in the human race as easily as we can in cows, dogs and crows. We don't have to become obtuse about how the world works. That path is nonsense, and of late is being exposed as such. More and more are now saying, "are you XY?. then you can play men's sports, but not womens, since you are not a woman. You area a man. And no, you can't get pregnant."

Note: I'm using the modern push for gender ambiguity as simply one example of the stuff we are talking about here.
Way back when you defined gender and I told you you were incorrect, do you think that could affect all these thoughts you're expressing?

Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟30,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I didn't watch all of this. I will admit his delivery was pretty appealing but unfortunately, he just described what was happenning instead of showing copious examples of it happenning. And then it becomes completely subjective instead of an opinion based on examples.

And I mean in the end nobody was shut up. The two people who claimed it the loudest had pretty much the biggest platform. It's just blather

Jon Stuart was a master because he'd make a claim and them throw up 8 examples of party members doing it.

And the evidence would be powerful and more convincing to be true. Sadly It was gloomy (and funny) at times. It was quite a show.

There were parts of his argument that I appreciated; parts I would question and parts I disagree with.
Yeah. The problem is that at the time I knew what examples he was talking about. I had seen the instances of "shut up" he was talking about.

Personal anecdote: Back in the 80's in the Seattle area there was no real political talk radio. It was about how to groom your pet, etc. But there was one political show that I would listen to. It was on KING 1090 AM. It was pretty liberal for its time. One thing I picked up on pretty quickly was being able to identify when they had hung up on a caller. Typically the caller was making some good conservative comments and suddenly the host went into monologue mode, rather than addressing the valid point. and sure enough, when the monologue was done, they went to another caller.

It actually happened to me once. They had a homosexual guest on trying to explain that us "normal" people did not have to worry about getting GRID (It's what they used to call AIDS -Gay Related Immunol Deficiency). And then they went to commercial break. The commercial was for an organization that wanted listeners to donate to prevent the spread of GRID because "anybody can get it". So I called in and asked, on the air, "your guest says that non-homosexuals don't have to worry about getting it from homosexuals, yet the commercial you just aired said that anyone can get it. So, which is it?" Click.

To be honest, I feel very strongly like I'm living in late August in 1939 Poland, and I just can't help myself discussing this stuff. But in reality it's pretty pointless. Everything is going where it's going to go and it's pretty obvious where that is. The whole system is crashing in slow motion. And every day more and more people see it. Heck, my son is in the construction industry in Seattle. It's been going hot and heavy even while other cities were struggling - that is until late last year. Large projects are being halted all over the place, half finished. And Amazon is moving much of its headquarters out of town. Meanwhile, in downtown Louisville, where I worked before I retired three years ago. LG&E, Humana and 5/3 bank are drastically downsizing in the city and/or moving office space out of the city. This stuff has an impact. And it's like a hyperbolic curve.

Speaking of hyperbolic curves, have you seen the money supply increase? :D

Bottom line is we need the Lord more than ever. I put my faith in him and take the advise in the bible quoted over 300 times: Do not be afraid.

This life is short. For me Life is Christ and death is gain (according to Paul).

I think the left is nuts and operates pretty much on emotion, while the right much more operates on logic. But both are horribly wrong because they are made up of people. Sometimes it costs us all.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Reasonably Sane

Oct 27, 2023
Kentucky
✟30,343.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Way back when you defined gender and I told you you were incorrect, do you think that could affect all these thoughts you're expressing?
No. I just disagree with your assessment.

Upvote 0