Is modern secular society headed down the path to Sodom and Gomorrah.

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟309,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Those of us whose churches were established long before Constantine are in the clear, then? Sweet. :cool:
I have no idea. I think we were talking about "western christian society" or something like that 3 weeks ago when I posted that. It doesn't seem that your church is associated with western society, so it probably is in the clear for that. I have no idea how your ancestors came to be Christians.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟250,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Frankly this half sentence makes no sense in context. You seem to be arguing against my claim that the US was never a unified Christian nation. Since that's the only one I care about, it is the one I will respond about. The rest had scattered wars of religion for centuries.
Sorry I should have put a ? after "Which is your country". I was asking which country you were from.
The western nations certainly do not have similar politics and that has been the case for a while. Fascism, communism, and liberal democracy are not "similar politics", but let's move on to more reasonable claims, like religious unity.
I was mainly thinking of the US, Britain and Australia. They are the ones that seem to be attacked as oppressors. Nevertheless I don;t think the idea of the West is about communism and fascism. I was referring to democracy. It seems despite their past most nations within the west support democracy, freedom and human rights. France for example supported the US & Britain is many conflicts.
Let's start with the religious separatists. Those that are still Christians (and very devout) but have such differing views that they feel a need to live separately from the rest.
Separating themselves from others doesn't change their core Christian beliefs. They may have a different view of how that should be expressed ie all Christians believe that they are seperate from this worlds secular ideologies. Separatists are just taking that same core belief further and actually living seperately. I guess a bit like the Monks did in the past.
Going back to the earliest, pre-US days of this land one of the first major colonies was formed by a group that were called "Separatists". A century later came German Amish and Mennonites and another century a home-brewed religious movement that is so different the majority of other Christians don't even consider them Christians -- Mormons. Then there were the 3 English colonies set up nominally to protect a group of Christians from other Christians -- Pennsylvania for Quakers, Maryland for Catholics, and Rhode Island (Providence Plantation) for non-Puritans. Yep, unified ideas, laws, conventions, and norms, that's the ticket.
Sounds like squabbles we have within political parties. They may have different views on how Christianity should be applied or place more emphasis on particular aspects. But they all believe in Christs teachings and the Creator God. If they don't then they are not Christians.

The point was even more so for the US it was nearly 100% Christian in that they believed in the Creator God, Christs teachings and the Bible. They went to church on Sundays regardless of which denomination and it was even a law at one stage. The believed in the sanctity of marriage, and Christian morality became their social norms.
It took a long time before even half of the land claimed and controlled by the US or its predecessor colonial states was occupied by Christians. The rest was occupied by non-Christian peoples.
I don't know nor want to get into the US religious history. All I know is that by the time they were forming an independent nation they were pretty God and Christian conscious as far as values, social norms and their worldview that God was creator and not man.

They were not Muslims, of Bhuddist or believe in some New Age ideology but the Christian one. Enough so that it was central even to their Declaration, politics and social norms.
But let us set aside for the moment the non-Christian native peoples outside of "western civilization" and the internal conflicts of various Christian sects. Were 90% of (non-native) Americans ever Christian? Perhaps, but it is hard to tell. A few percent of the people who were practicing a different religion (starting with Jews and then later other groups as well) have always been here. Especially earlier, before the conversion of most, the Africans held in bondage were almost all non-Christians. Then there are plenty of non-participating and non-believers. It only takes a few percent of them to break your 90% threshold.
Whether its 90% or less it was the vast majority enought to influence their social norms and politics. I see it as a gradual and fairly rapid growth of Christianity stemming out of the Middle East through the Jews and into the Roman Empire. Then peaking around the time of Enligtenment maybe a bit before as the Church absorbed more secular life and then was replaced by the State.

The church and state justled in that power for sometime but the church still occupied a prominant place within the state up until around mid 20th century. We can go back even as recent as 1975 when traditional Christian marriage was replaced with more liberal laws. Or abortion laws in 73.

From around the 50s and 60's and with the social revolutions society quickly changed to become more secular in its social norms and the public square. Around 2000 marriage laws were further changed with SSM. It is also around this time that there has been a stronger movement to rid the public square of all things Christian and God even to the point of attacking the belief and Christians thus pushing Christianity and God to the fringes and even underground as opposed to how it was at its peak.

In some ways I think Christianity is being reverted back to its early days within the Roman Empire where Christians were forced to go underground and were attacked for their belief.
Part of the problem we all suffer from is the impression of peak Christian participation in the post-war period (1946-1965) when Christian participation and birth rates boomed.

If you think this is a peak period of political turmoil, then you are ill informed about the politics of the past.
No as I mentioned above the peak happened 100's of years ago. In some ways the peak actually happened in the very early church which was untouched by the later political and power corruption. But as far as its power and influence that peaked around the 17th century and its been a gradual downhill move away from church power to state power.

As I also said it was exactly around the time you mention (1946-1965) when society was becoming more progressive which led into the cultural revolutions. Where we are at today can be traced back to that time including Woke ideology and the new Marxist thinking in todays Post Modernist era.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟176,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Sorry I should have put a ? after "Which is your country". I was asking which country you were from.

I was mainly thinking of the US, Britain and Australia.
White and English speaking, of course.
They are the ones that seem to be attacked as oppressors. Nevertheless I don;t think the idea of the West is about communism and fascism.
No, those are not true scotsmen, I suppose, even though they were invented and institutionalized in the West
I was referring to democracy. It seems despite their past most nations within the west support democracy, freedom and human rights. France for example supported the US & Britain is many conflicts.
Yeah, Napoleon, for example, was very good at that.
Separating themselves from others doesn't change their core Christian beliefs. They may have a different view of how that should be expressed ie all Christians believe that they are seperate from this worlds secular ideologies. Separatists are just taking that same core belief further and actually living seperately. I guess a bit like the Monks did in the past.

Sounds like squabbles we have within political parties. They may have different views on how Christianity should be applied or place more emphasis on particular aspects. But they all believe in Christs teachings and the Creator God. If they don't then they are not Christians.

The point was even more so for the US it was nearly 100% Christian in that they believed in the Creator God, Christs teachings and the Bible. They went to church on Sundays regardless of which denomination and it was even a law at one stage. The believed in the sanctity of marriage, and Christian morality became their social norms.
So they could own slaves, murder native Americans with impunity, persecute Catholics and other religious minorities and invade foreign countries whenever it suited them, all in Christ's name. Truly, it was a golden age.
I don't know nor want to get into the US religious history. All I know is that by the time they were forming an independent nation they were pretty God and Christian conscious as far as values, social norms and their worldview that God was creator and not man.

They were not Muslims, of Bhuddist or believe in some New Age ideology but the Christian one. Enough so that it was central even to their Declaration, politics and social norms.

Whether its 90% or less it was the vast majority enought to influence their social norms and politics. I see it as a gradual and fairly rapid growth of Christianity stemming out of the Middle East through the Jews and into the Roman Empire. Then peaking around the time of Enligtenment maybe a bit before as the Church absorbed more secular life and then was replaced by the State.

The church and state justled in that power for sometime but the church still occupied a prominant place within the state up until around mid 20th century. We can go back even as recent as 1975 when traditional Christian marriage was replaced with more liberal laws. Or abortion laws in 73.

From around the 50s and 60's and with the social revolutions society quickly changed to become more secular in its social norms and the public square. Around 2000 marriage laws were further changed with SSM. It is also around this time that there has been a stronger movement to rid the public square of all things Christian and God even to the point of attacking the belief and Christians thus pushing Christianity and God to the fringes and even underground as opposed to how it was at its peak.

In some ways I think Christianity is being reverted back to its early days within the Roman Empire where Christians were forced to go underground and were attacked for their belief.

No as I mentioned above the peak happened 100's of years ago. In some ways the peak actually happened in the very early church which was untouched by the later political and power corruption. But as far as its power and influence that peaked around the 17th century and its been a gradual downhill move away from church power to state power.

As I also said it was exactly around the time you mention (1946-1965) when society was becoming more progressive which led into the cultural revolutions. Where we are at today can be traced back to that time including Woke ideology and the new Marxist thinking in todays Post Modernist era.
Where are you getting this stuff? Who is feeding you this pseudo history? Or are you just making it up as you go along? If so, I congratulate you on your creative (though perverse) imagination

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟309,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Since this thread is all about the decline from the "golden age" of Christian dominance of the culture (1960), I will try to keep that in mind or steer the convo back that way.
I thought it was kind of obvious, and even if it wasn't I am not hiding it from anyone. My country is clearly indicated in the dropdown below my avatar in every post I make. (The writing error I am most likely to make on here is to omit the ? at the end of a question, so I get it.)
I was mainly thinking of the US, Britain and Australia. They are the ones that seem to be attacked as oppressors.
When I think of oppressors of other, I tend to think of current oppressors of others like Russia or Israel, but sure, lets talk about the US and some other countries.
Nevertheless I don;t think the idea of the West is about communism and fascism. I was referring to democracy.
There were communist revolutions in 1919 in Bavaria and other places. East Germany and other central European states which might be classified as "western Christendom" lived under communism for 45 years. Fascism is very western in its origins and symbols. Democracy does have long roots in "the West", but it isn't very Christian.
It seems despite their past most nations within the west support democracy, freedom and human rights.
Currently, but that is not the long history of the west. Spain and Portugal were undoubtedly in the west, but 50 years ago were just about to move out of decades of (fascist) dictatorship. France is on their 5th republic. The first 3 fell to dictatorship and monarchy. Britain was hardly a democracy until parliamentary reform in the early 19th century, Ireland until about 1920, and Hungary isn't one now.
France for example supported the US & Britain is many conflicts.
And France supported one in war against the other. This is not relevant. It has no bearing on being western or Christian. (The US, France, and Britain all have numerous, non-western and non-Christian allies.)

Now we move on to the parts about if the US was Christian and how Christian and unified as such it was.
Separating themselves from others doesn't change their core Christian beliefs. They may have a different view of how that should be expressed ie all Christians believe that they are seperate from this worlds secular ideologies.
Do all Christians all think they are separated from the "secular world" (it was nice of you to recognize such a thing exists) and its ideologies? I don't recall ever being told that we should cast away the political ideologies of the two mainstream political parties and separate ourselves from politics. What I do remember was messages from the archbishop telling us to consider the positions of politicians on "life issues".
Separatists are just taking that same core belief further and actually living seperately. I guess a bit like the Monks did in the past.

No, not like political squabbles inside parties. These were people setting up whole colonies to avoid certain other types of Christians. Certainly many of these groups were called non-Christians by other who did call themselves Christians. This is as problem for your very-Christian claim. The more you accept that these divisions existed and classify some groups as not properly Christian, the smaller this majority is. If you want to lump them together, then the disputes of major doctrines make it hard to call it all unified.
The point was even more so for the US it was nearly 100% Christian in that they believed in the Creator God, Christs teachings and the Bible.
And here I thought I need to show 10% outside the unified Christian sphere in the US, but "nearly 100%" seems a lot higher than 90%.
They went to church on Sundays regardless of which denomination and it was even a law at one stage.
Wow, just wow. I don't know what this law you speak of is, but non attendance was rampant in most of American history. Not really all that different than say the 1980s when 85-90% of Americans identified as Christians, but not even close to that many went to church on Sundays. Large amounts have been once/twice per year Christians for most of American history. (And frankly in the Middle Ages too, in Europe.) As I stated in the prior post, the 1950s & 60s represent a period of *increased* church attendance in the US. It is the anomaly, not the other way around.
The believed in the sanctity of marriage, and Christian morality became their social norms.
Not only was divorce and family abandonment common, there were also (small) Christian utopian communities that practice free love founded in the mid 19th century. This one in New York state spawned one of the biggest silverware companies in the world.

Oneida Community - Wikipedia
Nobody thinks man created the world/universe. It's best you stay away from these claims. As you say you don't know US religious history.
Secular enlightenment principles and deism are far more obvious in the DofI than Christian thought.
Whether its 90% or less it was the vast majority enought to influence their social norms and politics. I see it as a gradual and fairly rapid growth of Christianity stemming out of the Middle East through the Jews and into the Roman Empire.
An external influence on the West, just as I would categorize it.
Then peaking around the time of Enligtenment maybe a bit before as the Church absorbed more secular life and then was replaced by the State.
Did it peak in the Enlightenment? It doesn't seem that way. Given there were confessional wars for a century prior to Enlightenment it would seem that Enlightenment represents a decline in church power, a secularization of power. The state was always the more powerful entity and I recall something about your predecessors having a king who split his church off to control it better.
The church and state justled in that power for sometime but the church still occupied a prominant place within the state up until around mid 20th century.
Perhaps in your country, but in mine the church was shoved out of the state centuries ago. Nothing about that "relationship" changed in the 20th century.
We can go back even as recent as 1975 when traditional Christian marriage was replaced with more liberal laws. Or abortion laws in 73.
I know of no watershed in marriage law in the US in 1975. Marriage law is and always has been controlled by the states. If you are thinking about things like no-fault divorce that goes back before 1975, especially in California where it was advocated for by notorious liberal Ronald Reagan.
From around the 50s and 60's and with the social revolutions society quickly changed to become more secular in its social norms and the public square.
Were these "social revolutions" ever religious? How do you measure this secularization of social norms and public discussion in the 50s and 60s?
Around 2000 marriage laws were further changed with SSM.
There were some changes to marriage laws in the 2000s in some states, but not all. SSM isn't coded under the marriage laws of many states (or its is prohibited). The only thing that did change was a court ruling that forbade states from applying those exclusions, but you got that one wrong by a decade.
It is also around this time that there has been a stronger movement to rid the public square of all things Christian and God
If you are talking about public lands, then of course, no religion has the right to be supported by the state on state property, but if it is the "public square" of interaction and community, you need to be a bit more specific.
even to the point of attacking the belief and Christians thus pushing Christianity and God to the fringes and even underground as opposed to how it was at its peak.
Other than here where it is verboten, why shouldn't I "attack" or critize a belief I find to be wrong or even harmful? Christianity has no special priviledge relative to other philosophies and religions. I feel free to critize those as well when I disagree (and for all of the religions, I do disagree.) The idea that Christianity needs to move underground in American society is quite laughable.
If you want to do so I'm not going to stop you, but I will not force anyone or advocate for forcing anyone "underground".
No as I mentioned above the peak happened 100's of years ago. In some ways the peak actually happened in the very early church which was untouched by the later political and power corruption.
If it happened so long ago, then what does it have to do with today? (Nothing, that's the logical conclusion.)
But as far as its power and influence that peaked around the 17th century and its been a gradual downhill move away from church power to state power.
Not real relevant to the modern day, then?
As I also said it was exactly around the time you mention (1946-1965) when society was becoming more progressive which led into the cultural revolutions.
In some ways that period represents less progressive society. Feminism regressed in the post-war period creating "peak housewife" in culture. As I noted before (and I think the thing that is driving this "decline" narrative), participation (not identification) in Christianity *peaked* in that period. The fight against "godless communism" and the tendancy of those who are nominally religious to become more active when they have young children probably drove this.
Where we are at today can be traced back to that time including Woke ideology and the new Marxist thinking in todays Post Modernist era.
I have no interest in "woke" and do not support Marxism or post-modernism. If that is your complaint, it isn't secularism you are complaining about.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟250,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
White and English speaking, of course.
You say that like its a problem to be white and English speaking. I think English is perhaps the most spoken language. Australia is actually a very multicultural nation. I think from memory I read London's population has a large % of different cultures as well.
No, those are not true scotsmen, I suppose, even though they were invented and institutionalized in the West
Not sure what you mean by "not true scotsmen".
Yeah, Napoleon, for example, was very good at that.
Go back far enough and you will find most nations have had a less than democratic past. But I am talking about how these nations converged as time went by to support Human Rights and democracy. France played a big role during the 2nd WW in resisting the Nazi's. In fact they have become a little too liberal and now they have a big problem like other European nations with immigration and terrorism.
So they could own slaves, murder native Americans with impunity, persecute Catholics and other religious minorities and invade foreign countries whenever it suited them, all in Christ's name. Truly, it was a golden age.
I get it you dislike the West and especially the US.
Where are you getting this stuff? Who is feeding you this pseudo history? Or are you just making it up as you go along? If so, I congratulate you on your creative (though perverse) imagination
I made a number of points. You will have to be more specific. But as far as I know all these points can be supported. For example Christianity became the official religion of the Roman Empire in 380 AD.

Christianity as the Roman state religion

The slow march or Woke and Marxist ideology through academia and the inssitutions and into mainstream society is well documented with books such as the 'Slow March through the Insitutions'.

The Long March through the Institutions of Society

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟176,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
I get it you dislike the West and especially the US.
No, I just dislike your misrepresentation of what "the West" is and should be. I also think it arrogant of you to be judging my patriotism based on your twisted ideas of what is actually going on in this country.
The slow march or Woke and Marxist ideology through academia and the inssitutions and into mainstream society is well documented with books such as the 'Slow March through the Insitutions'.

The Long March through the Institutions of Society
You call that "well documented?" It is actually seditious propaganda of the most disgusting kind. Radical right wing religious filth. People like Harrington are the true enemies of whatever is good about Western culture.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟250,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
No, I just dislike your misrepresentation of what "the West" is and should be. I also think it arrogant of you to be judging my patriotism based on your twisted ideas of what is actually going on in this country.
What is my misrepresentation of the west. What have I said that misrepresents the west exactly.
You call that "well documented?" It is actually seditious propaganda of the most disgusting kind. Radical right wing religious filth. People like Harrington are the true enemies of whatever is good about Western culture.
Its well documented and we can trace it throught academia and thats a fact by the dominance of ideas like Critical Theories that underpin the curiculum and policies.

The Origins and Impact of Neo-Marxist Ideology and Cancel Culture on the Academy

The Long March Through the Institutions

Introduction: Education and the Long March through the Institutions

The Complex Relationship between Marxism and Wokeness

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟176,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What is my misrepresentation of the west. What have I said that misrepresents the west exactly.
Almost everything that you have posted here.
Its well documented and we can trace it throught academia and thats a fact by the dominance of ideas like Critical Theories that underpin the curiculum and policies.
Yes, that's a very good example of the kind of thing I mean.

Upvote 0

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟250,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Almost everything that you have posted here.
What that the west was influenced by Christianity and upheld truth like Rule of Law, Democracy and Human Rights.
Yes, that's a very good example of the kind of thing I mean.
Ok I just added some links to the other posts as I thought you may say something like that. What I am saying is acknowledged widely.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟176,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
What that the west was influenced by Christianity and upheld truth like Rule of Law, Democracy and Human Rights.
For which right-wing Evangelicals like yourself want to give Christianity full credit for introducing to the West, while dodging responsibility for all of the bad things done in the name of Christianity.
Ok I just added some links to the other posts as I thought you may say something like that. What I am saying is acknowledged widely.
The article about Brazil is paywalled, so it's not quite clear what it has to do with US politics, but you certainly seem to have a direct line to the Trump propaganda machine down there in Oz. I'm surprised; I always thought Australians had more sense than that.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟309,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The Long March Through the Institutions
Ahh, the Manhattan Institute. Long America's leading think-tank for scientific racism race "science". The are also the very people (especially the author of that piece - Chris Rufo - who invented the conservative talking points on CRT and "Woke" and (successfully) redefined those terms to mean the collection of cultural things they didn't like.

• Agree
Reactions: Paulos23
Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟309,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics are an immoral woman
Do you have anything to contribute, or are you just going to post pointless aphorisms and quotations without engaging in the discussion like you have in other threads?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

stevevw

inquisitive
Nov 4, 2013
Brisbane Qld Australia
✟250,075.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Since this thread is all about the decline from the "golden age" of Christian dominance of the culture (1960), I will try to keep that in mind or steer the convo back that way.
Thankyou, I need all the help I can get :help:
I thought it was kind of obvious, and even if it wasn't I am not hiding it from anyone. My country is clearly indicated in the dropdown below my avatar in every post I make. (The writing error I am most likely to make on here is to omit the ? at the end of a question, so I get it.)
Ok I didn't look at the drop down but quickly clicked on your profile which was blocked. I sort of gathered you may be from the US when you were mentioning the religious history but then your name Hans sort of threw me off a bit. Didn't want to assume.
When I think of oppressors of other, I tend to think of current oppressors of others like Russia or Israel, but sure, lets talk about the US and some other countries.
Most nations have oppressed, it seems to be human nature once power comes into it. You forgot the Muslim nations probably the biggest oppressors of all that people don't seem to consider.

You could say that Isreal is an oppressor but then look at what happened to the Jews throughout history, probably one of the most oppressed nations on earth. Now anti semetism is raising its ugly head again. Of all nations people want to be upset with why is it always the Jews.

But what I do know is that this hatred for the Jews is also applied to the west especially the US and with passion. It seems more than just about oppression and rights but deeper. More an ideology then reality. Why not the same passion against others who have done as bad if not worse. Seems biased.
There were communist revolutions in 1919 in Bavaria and other places. East Germany and other central European states which might be classified as "western Christendom" lived under communism for 45 years. Fascism is very western in its origins and symbols. Democracy does have long roots in "the West", but it isn't very Christian.
I think its more about the morals than politics. As the Stae took more power politics came into it. I remember the US held congressional hearings about communist sympathizers. It seems the 2nd WW is what brought the west together in a common cause for peace and Human Rights.

Since then they have become the allied forces so they are at least fighting for the same things which I think is democracy and the freedoms we have come to know.

Currently, but that is not the long history of the west. Spain and Portugal were undoubtedly in the west, but 50 years ago were just about to move out of decades of (fascist) dictatorship. France is on their 5th republic. The first 3 fell to dictatorship and monarchy. Britain was hardly a democracy until parliamentary reform in the early 19th century, Ireland until about 1920, and Hungary isn't one now.
You could say western culture has evolved into what it is today. It seems the US style of democracy has spread. Britain like Australia follow the Westminister parliamentary system and it seems to work well for democracy. I know Britain has the Monarchy but that deminished in power a long time ago.

But this is our history, it was a jostling between church and state as well as the monarchy. Sometimes a blend of all. The church lost more sway and was relegated to moral matters. The same with the Monarchy. Its more a token representation today though still has its worth as far as another voice of the people. Queen Elizabith was great at this, at bringing Brits together during the hard times. But they are losing relevance today.
And France supported one in war against the other. This is not relevant. It has no bearing on being western or Christian. (The US, France, and Britain all have numerous, non-western and non-Christian allies.)
Ok so maybe the idea of the West has become more Americanised as this seems to be the idea most people have, most immigrants who want to leave their own nations to seek the American dream.

But not just the US, nations like Britain, Australia and Canada are the most sought out nations for immigrants and refugees to come to. I mean many actually risk their lives to come to find a better life. So we can't be that bad.
Now we move on to the parts about if the US was Christian and how Christian and unified as such it was.

Do all Christians all think they are separated from the "secular world" (it was nice of you to recognize such a thing exists) and its ideologies? I don't recall ever being told that we should cast away the political ideologies of the two mainstream political parties and separate ourselves from politics. What I do remember was messages from the archbishop telling us to consider the positions of politicians on "life issues".
The point is as I said some people take the same biblical teaching and literally seperate themselves from the world. The bible verses that mention this say that we should not be conformed to this world so some may choose to create a seperate community so they are not conformed to this world. More or less taking the temptation away.

The point is itt the same bible verse that all Christians follow whether seperating self from the world literally or spiritually.
1 John 2:15
Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
Romans 12:2
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.
No, not like political squabbles inside parties. These were people setting up whole colonies to avoid certain other types of Christians. Certainly many of these groups were called non-Christians by other who did call themselves Christians. This is as problem for your very-Christian claim. The more you accept that these divisions existed and classify some groups as not properly Christian, the smaller this majority is. If you want to lump them together, then the disputes of major doctrines make it hard to call it all unified.
Your not seeing the forest through the trees. Yes there were disputes as to what is the truth, what is the proper way to be a Christian. But in each community though different in their views they all practiced the core beliefs of Christianity. The had Christian values, didn't believe in abisrtion, homosexuality, adultery, sex before marriage though it happened.

Church on Sundays, prayers in public forums, referring to God and Godly upright citizens. They had a Christian worldview and these were the social norms and not just confined to sunady church.. This was the same when I was growing up where pray was in parliament, presidents utters God bless America and most people attended church. So its not too long ago that we still had God and Christian values as social norms.
And here I thought I need to show 10% outside the unified Christian sphere in the US, but "nearly 100%" seems a lot higher than 90%.
When you take all your seperatists groups who were after all squabling over Christianity yes it was all about Christianity at one stage. Enough anyway that it influenced the public square and social norms, which is enough compared to modern times.
Wow, just wow. I don't know what this law you speak of is, but non attendance was rampant in most of American history. Not really all that different than say the 1980s when 85-90% of Americans identified as Christians, but not even close to that many went to church on Sundays. Large amounts have been once/twice per year Christians for most of American history. (And frankly in the Middle Ages too, in Europe.) As I stated in the prior post, the 1950s & 60s represent a period of *increased* church attendance in the US. It is the anomaly, not the other way around.
Ok so I read different. But even dependening on which nation there were laws (Blue laws) preventing work on Sundays to encourage church going even as recent as a few decades ago.

Blue laws, also known as Sunday laws, Sunday trade laws, and Sunday closing laws, are laws restricting or banning certain activities on specified days, usually Sundays in the western world. The laws were adopted originally for religious reasons, specifically to promote the observance of the Christian day of worship, but since then have come to serve secular purposes as well.

Sunday Laws in America
Other colonies besides Virginia had their own Sunday laws, requiring attendance at services and forbidding everything from working to sports and recreation to swearing and "tippling" at the taverns.
Not only was divorce and family abandonment common, there were also (small) Christian utopian communities that practice free love founded in the mid 19th century. This one in New York state spawned one of the biggest silverware companies in the world.
I am sure there has always been strange and alternative interpretations of Christianity. I mean look at the persecution of the church, look at the child abuse.

I am not sure divorce and family abandonment was common, well not as common as it became after mid 20th century. More marriages lasted a long time. There was more respect and value for the institution of marriage.
I only have to read the first few lines to know that though these people may have believed they were Christians (as did Charles Mason and his followers) they broke a fundemental Christian truth in believing that Christ has already come back in 70AD. It is clear core Christian truth that this is not the case and goes against other fundemental Christian doctrines like Christs future return and judgement, all of Revelations and may other scriptures.

There have been mant groups claiming to represent Christ and Christ even points this out that many will come in HIs name. Look at Jones Town, Waco the list goes on. Look at the modern day versions of TV Evangelists and Celeb churches lol.
Nobody thinks man created the world/universe. It's best you stay away from these claims. As you say you don't know US religious history.
I was referring to how todays society believes man, the human is god as compared to the Declaration and its acknowledgement for society of the creator God and supreme judge of all. This was certainly a different worldview, a God centred one. The language of that day shows that God and Christian values played a big role in peoples consciousness and conscience for thatmatter.
Secular enlightenment principles and deism are far more obvious in the DofI than Christian thought.
Not really. If you look at the other language around the use of God it clearly shows it was more than some mystical force or uninterested and impersonal God. For example later in the last paragraph of the DofI it says

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions.”

That's not just some uninterested creator God, this is a God as judge who doesn't seem to be just leaving the people or the world to themselves. Also look at Jeffersons draft of the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom act. Its full of references to more than some Deistic and impersonal God.

Jefferson mentions God as the Almighty God the Holy and God the Lord both of body and mind. There are other examples which clearly are referring to the Christian God or at least the Old Testament God. They personalise God and are speaking in reverence to a God who is present in people’s lives, and not just one who made the world a long time ago.

An external influence on the West, just as I would categorize it.
But thats what I find interesting, that such a foreign religion should have such an impact.
Did it peak in the Enlightenment? It doesn't seem that way. Given there were confessional wars for a century prior to Enlightenment it would seem that Enlightenment represents a decline in church power, a secularization of power. The state was always the more powerful entity and I recall something about your predecessors having a king who split his church off to control it better.
Yeah I sort of thought Enlightenment was the pivotal point but yes the decline had already started with the great Schism within the church. But the church still influenced the moral aspects of society.

Australia today doesn't relate to British history as our own. We look at to our pioneers which were mainly settlers and convicts. We relate to the convicts lol. But we are very multicultural and have been for a long time. We have gradually moved away from British culture and people are now calling for a republic.
Perhaps in your country, but in mine the church was shoved out of the state centuries ago. Nothing about that "relationship" changed in the 20th century.
But the influence of the church in the public square and on social norms was still strong and its only been in the 20th century that we have moved away from this. Like I said it was only in the 70's that we brought in divorce and abortion laws. I think anti Gay laws changed around 1925. As mentioned there were still laws prohibiting trading on Sundays as recent as the 80's.

Sex before marriage, out of wedlock pregnacies and adultery was frowned upon. Presidents mentioned God a lot, great speakers like Dr King united people under God, prayer was allowed in the public square lol. Now its not.
I know of no watershed in marriage law in the US in 1975. Marriage law is and always has been controlled by the states. If you are thinking about things like no-fault divorce that goes back before 1975, especially in California where it was advocated for by notorious liberal Ronald Reagan.
Yeah not fault divorce laws. It happened around 75 in Australia so probably a bit earlier in the US. But this came after the wave of the cultural revolutions in the 60's and 70s.
Were these "social revolutions" ever religious? How do you measure this secularization of social norms and public discussion in the 50s and 60s?
Well obviously the cultural revolutions of the 60's and 70's was being births before that. Its a gradual evolution of society. I think post war came peace and everyone wanted to enjoy life and there was a new sense of freedom. The social or cultural revolutions were the civils rights, womens liberation and the sexual revolution that followed. These are well documented.

Not religious movements but cultural movements, more from the secular side of things. In fact it was in part a counter culture and a response to traditional social norms, to religion.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟8,411.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Do you have anything to contribute, or are you just going to post pointless aphorisms and quotations without engaging in the discussion like you have in other threads?
It wasnt pointless friend. Politics are part of the problem.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟309,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Most nations have oppressed, it seems to be human nature once power comes into it. You forgot the Muslim nations probably the biggest oppressors of all that people don't seem to consider.
I didn't forget them, I just didn't include internal oppression, only external oppression. I suppose I could have included Turkey's occupation of northern Syria, or S. Arabia's war against Yemen if they are occupying anything (I don't know.)
You could say that Isreal is an oppressor but then look at what happened to the Jews throughout history, probably one of the most oppressed nations on earth.
A past history of being oppressed is a poor excuse for oppressing others.
Now anti semetism is raising its ugly head again.
It never really went away.
Of all nations people want to be upset with why is it always the Jews.
It's not, and frankly I don't care about "the Jews". They are a minor ethnic group and a tiny religion. They don't even seem worth disliking. Everyone else is obsessed with them, so I guess I have to pay attention to them. Sigh.
But what I do know is that this hatred for the Jews is also applied to the west especially the US and with passion. It seems more than just about oppression and rights but deeper. More an ideology then reality. Why not the same passion against others who have done as bad if not worse. Seems biased.
What? Anti-semitism isn't applied to "the West". Are you talking about anti-colonialism? I don't know what you are getting onto here.

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟309,003.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
It wasnt pointless friend. Politics are part of the problem.
You keep showing up in the wrong places then. Politics are the point of the discussions I have seen you injecting yourself into. It is quite the claim to complain about politics in the discussion of inherently political things.

Upvote 0

BCP1928

Jan 30, 2024
Goldsboro NC
✟176,860.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Thankyou, I need all the help I can get :help:

Ok I didn't look at the drop down but quickly clicked on your profile which was blocked. I sort of gathered you may be from the US when you were mentioning the religious history but then your name Hans sort of threw me off a bit. Didn't want to assume.

You could say that Isreal is an oppressor but then look at what happened to the Jews throughout history, probably one of the most oppressed nations on earth. Now anti semetism is raising its ugly head again. Of all nations people want to be upset with why is it always the Jews.

I think its more about the morals than politics. As the Stae took more power politics came into it. I remember the US held congressional hearings about communist sympathizers. It seems the 2nd WW is what brought the west together in a common cause for peace and Human Rights.

Since then they have become the allied forces so they are at least fighting for the same things which I think is democracy and the freedoms we have come to know.

You could say western culture has evolved into what it is today. It seems the US style of democracy has spread. Britain like Australia follow the Westminister parliamentary system and it seems to work well for democracy. I know Britain has the Monarchy but that deminished in power a long time ago.

But this is our history, it was a jostling between church and state as well as the monarchy. Sometimes a blend of all. The church lost more sway and was relegated to moral matters. The same with the Monarchy. Its more a token representation today though still has its worth as far as another voice of the people. Queen Elizabith was great at this, at bringing Brits together during the hard times. But they are losing relevance today.

Ok so maybe the idea of the West has become more Americanised as this seems to be the idea most people have, most immigrants who want to leave their own nations to seek the American dream.

But not just the US, nations like Britain, Australia and Canada are the most sought out nations for immigrants and refugees to come to. I mean many actually risk their lives to come to find a better life. So we can't be that bad.

The point is as I said some people take the same biblical teaching and literally seperate themselves from the world. The bible verses that mention this say that we should not be conformed to this world so some may choose to create a seperate community so they are not conformed to this world. More or less taking the temptation away.

The point is itt the same bible verse that all Christians follow whether seperating self from the world literally or spiritually.
1 John 2:15
Do not love the world or the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him.
Romans 12:2
Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect.

Your not seeing the forest through the trees. Yes there were disputes as to what is the truth, what is the proper way to be a Christian. But in each community though different in their views they all practiced the core beliefs of Christianity. The had Christian values, didn't believe in abisrtion, homosexuality, adultery, sex before marriage though it happened.

Church on Sundays, prayers in public forums, referring to God and Godly upright citizens. They had a Christian worldview and these were the social norms and not just confined to sunady church.. This was the same when I was growing up where pray was in parliament, presidents utters God bless America and most people attended church. So its not too long ago that we still had God and Christian values as social norms.

When you take all your seperatists groups who were after all squabling over Christianity yes it was all about Christianity at one stage. Enough anyway that it influenced the public square and social norms, which is enough compared to modern times.

Ok so I read different. But even dependening on which nation there were laws (Blue laws) preventing work on Sundays to encourage church going even as recent as a few decades ago.

Blue laws, also known as Sunday laws, Sunday trade laws, and Sunday closing laws, are laws restricting or banning certain activities on specified days, usually Sundays in the western world. The laws were adopted originally for religious reasons, specifically to promote the observance of the Christian day of worship, but since then have come to serve secular purposes as well.

Sunday Laws in America
Other colonies besides Virginia had their own Sunday laws, requiring attendance at services and forbidding everything from working to sports and recreation to swearing and "tippling" at the taverns.
Yes, that's a great way to evangelize. Force atheists and those theists who have a different sabbath into church on Sunday, or at least keep them from doing anything else. Terrific.
I am sure there has always been strange and alternative interpretations of Christianity. I mean look at the persecution of the church, look at the child abuse.

I am not sure divorce and family abandonment was common, well not as common as it became after mid 20th century. More marriages lasted a long time. There was more respect and value for the institution of marriage.

I only have to read the first few lines to know that though these people may have believed they were Christians (as did Charles Mason and his followers) they broke a fundemental Christian truth in believing that Christ has already come back in 70AD. It is clear core Christian truth that this is not the case and goes against other fundemental Christian doctrines like Christs future return and judgement, all of Revelations and may other scriptures.

There have been mant groups claiming to represent Christ and Christ even points this out that many will come in HIs name. Look at Jones Town, Waco the list goes on. Look at the modern day versions of TV Evangelists and Celeb churches lol.

I was referring to how todays society believes man, the human is god as compared to the Declaration and its acknowledgement for society of the creator God and supreme judge of all. This was certainly a different worldview, a God centred one. The language of that day shows that God and Christian values played a big role in peoples consciousness and conscience for thatmatter.

Not really. If you look at the other language around the use of God it clearly shows it was more than some mystical force or uninterested and impersonal God. For example later in the last paragraph of the DofI it says

We, therefore, the Representatives of the united States of America, in General Congress, Assembled, appealing to the Supreme Judge of the world for the rectitude of our intentions.”

That's not just some uninterested creator God, this is a God as judge who doesn't seem to be just leaving the people or the world to themselves. Also look at Jeffersons draft of the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom act. Its full of references to more than some Deistic and impersonal God.

Jefferson mentions God as the Almighty God the Holy and God the Lord both of body and mind. There are other examples which clearly are referring to the Christian God or at least the Old Testament God. They personalise God and are speaking in reverence to a God who is present in people’s lives, and not just one who made the world a long time ago.
But you are still going to have an uphill struggle turning Jefferson's God into your MAGA God.
But thats what I find interesting, that such a foreign religion should have such an impact.
Speaking of foreign religions with an impact, I think Islam deserves a prize for introducing math and science to the west and preserving the Greek philosophical tradition for us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0