Is it wrong for a Dad to be a stay-at-home dad and have his wife work ?

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟590,053.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
He can be supporting the family by spending time with the children and bringing them up and teaching them.

It can be a full-time occupation, including caring for the children . . . not only "watching" them while he watches TV and watches things on the Net.

There can be house cleaning and cleaning dishes and preparing meals, right while including the children in doing such things with him so they learn living in a family and a house.

If you know a man who stays home, maybe you can talk to with him and ask him what he does. Each unique person will give you a different answer.

Therefore, I should not evaluate all men at home the same way.

Upvote 0

Lukaris

Orthodox Christian
Site Supporter
Aug 3, 2007
Pennsylvania, USA
✟768,846.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
I’m single but I would think either parent doing what is right for faithful family living should be a holy life ( like what St. Paul says in Ephesians 6:1-4).

Upvote 0

Reluctant Theologian

אַבְרָהָם
Jul 13, 2021
QLD
✟75,660.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Is it wrong to be a homemaker as a Christian Dad and stay home and watch the kids and have the wife work.
Maybe not wrong or sinful, but far from optimal; it's role reversal on both sides and very atypical. Maybe for some couples it could work but I'd never recommend it.

Reactions: jas3
Upvote 0

Diamond7

YEC, OEC, GAP, TE - Dispensationalist.
Nov 23, 2022
Akron
✟79,402.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Is it wrong to be a homemaker as a Christian Dad and stay home and watch the kids and have the wife work.
There is nothing wrong with the man being the care giver. I was a single parent for 12 years. But if they get a divorce then she has to pay him alimony. Also he would get the kids because the court will not change the caregiver. A caregiver would have to be unfit before they will take the kids away and give them to someone else.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,520,642.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
There is no one right way to split up the responsibilities of parenting, income earning, and house/yard/life admin/wahtever work.

I would encourage any couple to consider that over a lifetime together, the balance is likely to shift several times, and to be willing to be flexible, communicate well, and work together as a team. For example, at this point in time, I work full time, my husband works school hours (ish), and looks after the bulk of kid-related stuff. Before she went to school, we had a phase of each working three days a week and sharing the kid-wrangling. No doubt it will change again as she gets older and becomes more independent.

But no, there's nothing inherently wrong with the wife working and the dad looking after the kids, provided that arrangement suits them both.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟27,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟930,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
Yes and how is this against the Bible
If the woman is chasing a business career and needs a husband to function as the "logical wife" that is one thing. But if this was something put upon the woman it is not right. The husband is head of the household and is set there as the one who provides for the family.

1 Tim 5:8 But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.

Upvote 0

BobRyan

Angels Team
Site Supporter
Nov 21, 2008
Georgia
✟930,403.00
Country
United States
Faith
SDA
Marital Status
Married
It is ok to take turns working outside the home. Most of my work is at home on the Computer.
I don't think there is a requirement "to work outside the home" -- but rather 'to work' . To provide for the family.

That is different from the question for this thread --

QuestionQuest74 said:

Upvote 0

QuestionQuest74

Oct 12, 2023
Fort Lauderdale
✟27,205.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
If the woman is chasing a business career and needs a husband to function as the "logical wife" that is one thing. But if this was something put upon the woman it is not right. The husband is head of the household and is set there as the one who provides for the family.

1 Tim 5:8 But if anyone does not provide for his own, and especially for those of his household, he has denied the faith and is worse than an unbeliever.
Where does the Bible describe says providing is financial he can provide by cooking and disciplining and caring for his children.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums