How do you explain the existence of evil, despite God being almighty, and all knowing, and perfect love?

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟253,968.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
How do you forum posters explain that evil exists despite God being, all powerful, all knowing and all love?

Why does God permit or create evil? Or did God not want it for anything? Is evil and illusion?

Why did Jesus create the situation of the crucifixion and go through that? Why does the victory of death and Satan, take so long to fully establish?

Will the fallen angels and souls ever repent?

timothyu

Dec 31, 2018
up there
✟310,298.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
1) This universe of our comprehension is comprised of opposites
2) Evil is simply putting our will ahead of the will of God. He keeps us on the right side of the fence where our will puts us on the other side
3) We are not the prime focus of God. His ultimate battle is with powers and principalities created long before us. One step at a time until conclusion of that war.
4) Who knows? The Tempter was created for the sole purpose of tempting man to put their will ahead of God's, to test us as it did Jesus in the desert. I doubt it will one day say enough, I retire.

Ours is not to figure out God, but to simply follow His wise council without thinking that we can build a better mousetrap.

Upvote 0

Petros2015

Jun 23, 2016
undisclosed Bunker
✟292,020.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
How do you forum posters explain that evil exists despite God being, all powerful, all knowing and all love?

How do you explain the dark when you turn the light off?
Or, if I turned my back on the light, it would get darker and darker the more I walked away.
There would still always be some light, no matter how far I got, but the further I got, there would be less and less of it.
It's a bit like that (for me)

I don't really think evil is an independent, created thing
I think it's just a natural result of independent created things putting distance between themselves and God
And unfortunately, once we start, we tend to keep going

What you call "evil" is evil, but if we weren't so wrapped up in it, we could also look at it as a disease brought on by spiritual starvation. The evil is the symptom - the source is God deficiency, the same way scurvy is a vitamin deficiency, or death by dehydration is a water deficiency

Humans don't like to repent; repentance, humility and self-reflection, those are positive traits and hallmarks of sanity
But if I turn my back on the source of all positive traits, and say "I don't need you"...
... from where do I find the strength and the sanity to undo what I have just done?
And apart from outside rescue, from where can the rescue come?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

trophy33

Nov 18, 2018
N/A
✟153,446.00
Country
Czech Republic
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Why does God permit or create evil? Or did God not want it for anything?
Evil is a necessary part of the best possible world. And God cannot choose any other world than the best one, by definition (God cannot err).

Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟164,636.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Evil exists because of sin: when created beings (angels or men) decide to disobey the moral law of God, and the consequence is that evil permeates all things. Sin is far-reaching, and is the reason there is a lake of fire judgment coming. The Bible says that God will judge everyone according to their deeds.
Why does God permit or create evil?
God let created beings go their own way (rather than cling to the holy nature of God), in order to show that we cannot live up to God's holy nature without God's help, which requires faith in Him. And in order to show that forsaking God's help has bad consequences. We are in a spiritual war/struggle, in which we must do mental and spiritual battle against the ways of sin. The Bible says that God is a mighty warrior, and we are required to believe for His help in winning those battles to the end. We get God's help through trusting in Christ.
Or did God not want it for anything?
God has no needs, but He desires that the whole world would know Him. The Bible says that one day the whole world will be filled with the knowledge of God, and it also says we are created for His glory and pleasure, and that by His side are eternal pleasures. Therefore, we are put in this world to seek Him out, according to Apostle Paul's teaching in Acts 17.

But if you mean "Did God not want evil in the world?" - No, God does not WANT evil in the world; but the Bible says that God wants everyone to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth. But in fact, many angels followed Satan into choosing evil; that is, using their will for wrong reasoning, and this also happened to every human being who ever lived, except for Christ alone. Jesus called Satan the father of lies, and every person is born under the control of Satan's lies. The way out of that is to know the truth that is in Jesus Christ. So what God wants of people is clearly stated, to repent (from sin) and believe the gospel (that Jesus saves us from sin).
Is evil and illusion?
No, it's as real as a heart attack.
Why did Jesus create the situation of the crucifixion and go through that?
He said that no one takes His life, but He lays it down on His own accord. It means that He displayed the ultimate love to lay His life down for the redemption of all men, in the worst possible conditions. The event also shows us that love shines the most when good deeds are done in the worst of situations.
Why does the victory of death and Satan, take so long to fully establish?
The Bible says that God wants to bring many sons to glory, which requires lots of time for population growth. Furthermore, it takes lots of time for people to mature spiritually, and develop the permanent godly character they need, which is happening in every generation. Part of the Christian life is living by faith that Christ will raise us up to immortality, even though we don't see it happening right now. Faith is the basis of a vital relationship with God.
Fallen angels can't repent, this is why the lake of fire was created, for the devil and his messengers (including all people who refuse to repent and believe the gospel).

But what do you mean by "and souls"? Are you talking about souls of mankind? If so, then it is possible for any human being to repent and believe the gospel, and many are. But we also know from what the Bible says, and what missionaries tell us, that the majority of people are on the road to hell. Jesus said, "narrow is the way that leads to life, and few there be that find it; but broad is the way that leads to destruction and many there be that find it."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

GoldenKingGaze

Prevent Slavery, support the persecuted.
Mar 12, 2007
Visit site
✟253,968.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
AU-Labor
Evil exists because of sin: when created beings (angels or men) decide to disobey the moral law of God, and the consequence is that evil permeates all things. Sin is far-reaching, and is the reason there is a lake of fire judgment coming. The Bible says that God will judge everyone according to their deeds.

God let created beings go their own way (rather than cling to the holy nature of God), in order to show that we cannot live up to God's holy nature without God's help, which requires faith in Him. And in order to show that forsaking God's help has bad consequences. We are in a spiritual war/struggle, in which we must do mental and spiritual battle against the ways of sin. The Bible says that God is a mighty warrior, and we are required to believe for His help in winning those battles to the end. We get God's help through trusting in Christ.

God has no needs, but He desires that the whole world would know Him. The Bible says that one day the whole world will be filled with the knowledge of God, and it also says we are created for His glory and pleasure, and that by His side are eternal pleasures. Therefore, we are put in this world to seek Him out, according to Apostle Paul's teaching in Acts 17.

But if you mean "Did God not want evil in the world?" - No, God does not WANT evil in the world; but the Bible says that God wants everyone to be saved and come to the knowledge of the truth. But in fact, many angels followed Satan into choosing evil; that is, using their will for wrong reasoning, and this also happened to every human being who ever lived, except for Christ alone. Jesus called Satan the father of lies, and every person is born under the control of Satan's lies. The way out of that is to know the truth that is in Jesus Christ. So what God wants of people is clearly stated, to repent (from sin) and believe the gospel (that Jesus saves us from sin).

No, it's as real as a heart attack.

He said that no one takes His life, but He lays it down on His own accord. It means that He displayed the ultimate love to lay His life down for the redemption of all men, in the worst possible conditions. The event also shows us that love shines the most when good deeds are done in the worst of situations.

The Bible says that God wants to bring many sons to glory, which requires lots of time for population growth. Furthermore, it takes lots of time for people to mature spiritually, and develop the permanent godly character they need, which is happening in every generation. Part of the Christian life is living by faith that Christ will raise us up to immortality, even though we don't see it happening right now. Faith is the basis of a vital relationship with God.

Fallen angels can't repent, this is why the lake of fire was created, for the devil and his messengers (including all people who refuse to repent and believe the gospel).

But what do you mean by "and souls"? Are you talking about souls of mankind? If so, then it is possible for any human being to repent and believe the gospel, and many are. But we also know from what the Bible says, and what missionaries tell us, that the majority of people are on the road to hell. Jesus said, "narrow is the way that leads to life, and few there be that find it; but broad is the way that leads to destruction and many there be that find it."
By souls I meant, those in Hell and who will be after the time Satan is thrown into the lake of fire by Michael.

Upvote 0

HopeSings

May 3, 2024
Ohio
✟7,633.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Why does God permit or create evil? Or did God not want it for anything? Is evil and illusion?

Why did Jesus create the situation of the crucifixion and go through that? Why does the victory of death and Satan, take so long to fully establish?

We are evil. God loved us and wants to save us. I don't question why God created me but I'm thankful that he created and saves me.

Reactions: Laodicean60
Upvote 0

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟164,636.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
By souls I meant, those in Hell and who will be after the time Satan is thrown into the lake of fire by Michael.
Who will be after? Are you asking if there will be more people populating the Earth after the great white throne judgment? I don't think that's going to happen. After Satan is thrown into the lake of fire, death and Hades will be thrown into the lake of fire, and also everyone whose name is not in the book of life. It says "the smoke of their torment will go up forever and ever," which means they will never get out of that. The only souls that make it to the New Jerusalem are those who are raised in the first resurrection, in which it says they are not subject to the second death. After the great judgment there will be no second chances, and those in lower Hades today will get no second chances.

Upvote 0

SMTA

Jul 28, 2023
Ohio
✟16,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Nobody here can answer your questions, as they are not God, and don’t know how he thinks.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

tdidymas

Aug 28, 2014
Houston, TX
✟164,636.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
Nobody here can answer your questions, as they are not God, and don’t know how he thinks.
Did you read my answers here:

We can know how God thinks by becoming familiar with the Holy Bible, which is God's revelation of Himself to us. Of course, anyone not interested in the scripture He has provided will not know how He thinks.

• Agree
Reactions: timothyu
Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟8,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate

i say Satan cannot avail himself of repentance. God kicked him out of Heaven and once you're gone, you're gone.

i think God allows evil for reasons only He may fully understand. I used to hear He allows it so he can bring good out of it and I didn't like that answer but years later, I could see where he has brought good out of evil in my own life. So many times i've prayed for something, and when it didnt happen, I was upset and/or angry with God. But then I saw down the road that .. let's justsay I was GLAD I didn't get what I asked for.

Since we are not in Heaven, we are always going to ask for something! We are perpetually unsatisfied in this world. We weren't made for this world. And somewhere inside, we know that, even if we don't acknowledge it/aren't aware of it

• Useful
Reactions: Ted-01
Upvote 0

discombobulated1

Mar 25, 2024
Claremore, OK
✟8,382.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
We are evil. God loved us and wants to save us. I don't question why God created me but I'm thankful that he created and saves me.
I have not always been thankful!

My father's mother was told by her doctor not to have any more children.. not sure why. But she listened to her priest who disagreed and so here I am, since my father was born after her decision. I've had times when I clenched my fist at my grandmother. "why didn't you listen to the doctor?" I would ask. I've had some hard knocks in life, obviously. But I found Jesus and I know that some day, well, I'm not perfect but some day...

Upvote 0

Akita Suggagaki

Jul 20, 2018
Midwest
✟286,171.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Evil is relative and mostly whatever we do not like. It was not there at creation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Grip Docility

Nov 27, 2017
North America
✟93,114.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Ditch the "Determinist" view of God... That's how.​
Free Moral Autonomy. God didn't desire ANY evil within Creation. Evil is REAL!
God had planned to Arbitrate within Creation if Free Moral Autonomous Agency was Abused by any of His Creations. God is having Mercy, giving us time to be born and live... to be and exist. Had He cut it short, we wouldn't exist.
Only God known's the answer to this. Any other answer is hogwash. I believe fallen souls will be given one last chance, but they are all Morally Autonomous in Agency, so some will and some won't if my belief (opinion on that non salvational matter) is correct.

Good Questions! I have a Dragon series of OP's that may assist in understanding this from a "possible perspective". You are more than welcome to read them. I'm still working on them, as it is an OP of unknown Part numbers, currently.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Ted-01
Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟588,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
It is good to care about how there is evil and suffering. Yes, God is good but there is suffering and evil which He has not stopped.

But He does care about how there are wrong things. And He does do things about it.

And with God we can do the most good to make things better. So, it is wise to trust and depend on God. Even all the time, submit to God who makes us the way we need to be, and He personally guides us if we submit to Him so we can do what is really good.

But God does not want us to only try to stop evil and suffering; this can waste us and burn us out, and Jesus does want us to have "rest for your souls," He says in Matthew 11:29.

He wants us to share as His family with other Christians, enjoying loving and caring and sharing . . . while God can take care of the evil >

It is wise not to allow evil to control our attention and decide how we see things, because evil wants to keep us from believing in God and having hope.

So, we can see how one strategy of Satan's kingdom is to use evil to get people to think that there can't be our good God if there is evil.

But I will offer that, yes there is good as much as we have God and there is also the existence of evil that is so horrible.

And God is taking care of this.

"God resists the proud" (in James 4:6, 1 Peter 5:5).

Evil is being effectively resisted **so it does not do much worse***. And it and its people are being processed to hell where it will be kept in its proper place for eternity. But first God is adopting evil people to become His children in His love; so we need to be here so we can grow in Jesus and help others to join us.

"Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome with good." (Romans 12:21)

I have learned that the best revenge includes forgiving people and helping people to be forgiven and adopted by God so they don't keep doing evil for Satan. And enjoy pleasing God while we obey Him; this is part of our perfect revenge against evil . . . instead of letting evil decide how we are and how we see things.

• Love
Reactions: Grip Docility
Upvote 0