✟55,225.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Originally posted by Catchup
I think he may rethink that :scratch: now that the word is out that we were for-warned of the danger. Sounds like someone dropped the ball.

:) LOVE

Define "warned"... Past a certain point, there's not a lot you can do with a warning unless you've got it narrowed down.

e.g., right now, I can warn, without even looking for data, that there will be a bomb explosion within a week that will kill someone.

You think anyone can take precautions based on that? If so, what country should these precautions be taken in?

The government gets *thousands* of "possible attack" warnings some of the time. Sorting them out isn't exactly easy.

Upvote 0

strathyboy

Jan 30, 2002
Visit site
✟1,376.00
Originally posted by seebs

Define "warned"... Past a certain point, there's not a lot you can do with a warning unless you've got it narrowed down.

e.g., right now, I can warn, without even looking for data, that there will be a bomb explosion within a week that will kill someone.

You think anyone can take precautions based on that? If so, what country should these precautions be taken in?

The government gets *thousands* of "possible attack" warnings some of the time. Sorting them out isn't exactly easy.

The problem is that Bush and the FBI were warned that terrorists hijacking American planes was a distinct possibility. The memo to Bush and the FBI also told of a specific training facility in Phoenix in which several middle eastern men (who were later involved in the 9/11 attacks) were training. This is relatively specific, but there was little or no increase in airline security.

Take a gander at the following news reports for more information...

http://www.msnbc.com/news/752871.asp?pne=msn
http://cbc.ca/cgi-bin/templates/partnerview.cgi?story=/news/2002/05/16/fbi_warning020516^layout=MSN

Upvote 0

coastie

Hallelujah Adonai Yeshua!
Apr 6, 2002
Central Valley of CA
Visit site
✟8,286.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It's too bad that the governement didn't pick up on this as a more serious threat, but, there are probably far more threats to American people than anyone here knows. The govenment doesn't ahve nearly the control everyone thinks it does over our safety.

Things have gotten better in the past years (especially the last 9 mos.) but imagine getting hundreds of threat warnings a day. Which one's will you choose to follow up on?

There is no easy way to make the US an inpenetrable fortress. Everybody has some sort of bone to pick with the US, and our nations leaders have done pretty well for the last fifty years.

Zach

Upvote 0