Donald Trump indicted by Manhattan grand jury

RocksInMyHead

God is innocent; Noah built on a floodplain!
May 12, 2011
PA
✟328,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
I don’t think Trump has made any claim because he hasn’t testified. Maybe his lawyers made that claim, I don’t know. I have seen news stories making that claim but I haven’t seen direct quotes from Trump, I could have missed something though.
In the context of this discussion, it doesn't really matter whether it was Trump or his attorneys who stated that - the attorneys are legally authorized to speak on his behalf. That's the purpose of an attorney in a trial - otherwise you'd be stuck representing yourself. So, anything that one of Trump's attorneys says in court about Trump's thought processes or motivations can be taken as coming from Trump himself.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟151,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
In the context of this discussion, it doesn't really matter whether it was Trump or his attorneys who stated that - the attorneys are legally authorized to speak on his behalf. That's the purpose of an attorney in a trial - otherwise you'd be stuck representing yourself. So, anything that one of Trump's attorneys says in court about Trump's thought processes or motivations can be taken as coming from Trump himself.
Did his attorneys make that claim?

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟313,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
That's what it means when they announce themselves to the court as "Mr. Bove for President Trump". (Yes, I know Mr. Trump is not president, but that is how he insists his lawyers refer to him.)

Upvote 0

perplexed

Jun 22, 2005
✟113,419.00
Faith
Seeker
the 3rd point Todd Blanche's opening statement is paraphrased below

Blanche suggested that Trump entered into the non-disclosure agreement with Daniels not to prevent her claim of a decade-old sexual encounter with Trump from reaching voters, but to prevent her claim from reaching, say, Trump’s wife Melania.

Trump “fought back” against Daniels’ allegations, which Blanche described as false, ”to protect his family, his reputation, and his brand — and that is not a crime.”

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟155,172.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
That’s how “advocacy“ Justice works.
One’s lawyer (literally) has “power-of-attorney”, for one’s (own) representation.

• Agree
Reactions: Hans Blaster
Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟151,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That’s how “advocacy“ Justice works.
One’s lawyer (literally) has “power-of-attorney”, for one’s (own) representation.
I know that. Did they close that he only cared about his wife finding out about the Stormy Daniels story?

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟151,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's what it means when they announce themselves to the court as "Mr. Bove for President Trump". (Yes, I know Mr. Trump is not president, but that is how he insists his lawyers refer to him.)
That doesn’t answer the question. Someone else did though so never mind

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟151,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are certainly some things that aren't going well - as there are under any president. However, most of the issues that I see talked about, I either don't see as being actual problems, or cannot tie to any specific policy pushed by Biden.

Ultimately, it's very difficult for a president to irreparably damage the country (from a policy perspective) in 4, or even 8 years. Executive orders have limited scope, and Congress exists to act as a check for any serious legislation. However, as we've seen with Trump, giving a hateful person a platform can do a great deal of damage to the societal fabric. So, first and foremost, when I vote for a politician, I consider character. Do they seem like a fundamentally good person? Someone who can't pass that most basic of tests will never get my vote, no matter what letter is after their name. If Trump were running as a Democrat, I would not vote for him. I wouldn't necessarily vote for his Republican opponent (whoever that may be), but I am not so partisan that I would vote for a clearly unsuitable candidate just to deny the other party from office.
If Biden was a Republican you would likely point out that he bragged about working with segregationists, that he opposed busing because he didn’t want schools to turn into “racial jungles “ that he said if you don’t vote for him “you ain’t black,” that he lied about being arrested while visiting Nelson Mandela and about being arrested for standing on the porch with a black family, that he gave the eulogy for a grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan, and that he frequently lies to endear himself to whatever group he is speaking to. You probably couldn’t vote for him on moral grounds

Upvote 0

DaisyDay

I Did Nothing Wrong!! ~~Team Deep State
Jan 7, 2003
Finger Lakes
✟218,350.00
Country
United States
Faith
Unitarian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
that he gave the eulogy for a grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan,
Byrd was never a grand wizard and emphatically disavowed the KKK and his former racism. So stop using this bit of disinformation. You are generally better than that.

Upvote 0

essentialsaltes

Stranger in a Strange Land
Oct 17, 2011
Los Angeles Area
✟848,337.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Legal Union (Other)
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟328,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
If Biden was a Republican you would likely point out that he bragged about working with segregationists, that he opposed busing because he didn’t want schools to turn into “racial jungles “ that he said if you don’t vote for him “you ain’t black,” that he lied about being arrested while visiting Nelson Mandela and about being arrested for standing on the porch with a black family, that he gave the eulogy for a grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan, and that he frequently lies to endear himself to whatever group he is speaking to. You probably couldn’t vote for him on moral grounds
Wow, I'm impressed at your mind-reading abilities!

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟313,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
There is at least one intermediate step before "real jail". Every courthouse has a lockup where defendants are held including as punishment for contempt. That courthouse also likely has windowless interior rooms that could do duty as a lockup The judge could sentence him to spend the lunch break in an empty room by himself with no devices or other materials.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟151,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Byrd was never a grand wizard and emphatically disavowed the KKK and his former racism. So stop using this bit of disinformation. You are generally better than that.
Okay scratch that one and it’s still not a good record.
I am amazed at how Democrats like Byrd and George Wallace can just change their minds and all is forgiven.

Upvote 0

RocksInMyHead

May 12, 2011
PA
✟328,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Likely and probably don’t call for any mind reading.
I'm not sure what else to call someone predicting my thoughts and opinions on a hypothetical scenario. Regardless of what you call it, it's pretty disrespectful.

• Agree
Reactions: KCfromNC
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟313,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Okay scratch that one and it’s still not a good record.
I am amazed at how Democrats like Byrd and George Wallace can just change their minds and all is forgiven.
Who said all was forgiven with George Wallace. If Wallace turned back from his old views, then good for him. Hopefully that can serve as an example to others that change is possible. But, history will only remember Wallace for his actions against integration.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟151,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Who said all was forgiven with George Wallace. If Wallace turned back from his old views, then good for him. Hopefully that can serve as an example to others that change is possible. But, history will only remember Wallace for his actions against integration.
The people who voted for him in 1982 (including the overwhelming majority of black voters) in Alabama forgave him and elected him governor.

Upvote 0

BPPLEE

Apr 13, 2022
Montgomery
✟151,765.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I'm not sure what else to call someone predicting my thoughts and opinions on a hypothetical scenario. Regardless of what you call it, it's pretty disrespectful.
I didn’t mean to be disrespectful.
Some of the things you say about Trump apply to Biden.
I couldn’t vote for Biden if he was a Republican

Upvote 0

Hans Blaster

Rocket surgeon
Mar 11, 2017
USA
✟313,312.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
The people who voted for him in 1982 (including the overwhelming majority of black voters) in Alabama forgave him and elected him governor.
Considering that most portrayals of Wallace in standard history texts *might* include a line like "Wallace renounced segregation later in life" there is not some sort of general "forgiveness" of Wallace.

Upvote 0