Cold Shoulder: Norway's Rejected Refugees Dumped Off in Arctic Russia

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
I have considered your opinion seriously, but alas, i must disagree.

Your or my opinion isn´t all that relevant - it´s the way the laws of the respective countries and international law define it.

You may want to direct your complaints to the governments of those countries.

On another note, consider this scenario: A Christian who is persecuted for his belief in his home country - do you think that his possession of a cell phone should keep another country from granting him safe haven?

Reactions: brinny
Upvote 0

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟328,628.00
Faith
Atheist
The writer of the piece in the Huffington Post, Anhvinh Doanvo, is strikingly critical, if not insulting to the many countries that welcomed refugees with open arms.

Seriously?

Then he goes about in a round about way to say that the information that Saudi Arabia didn't take in refugees is wrong, deceptive, etc. Then goes on to appear to be speaking that's it's wrong and just is, without clarity on why the information is wrong.

Nevertheless, to disparage and insult the countries that took in refugees willingly, is horrific.

Are there any credible, unbiased sources that can back up that Saudi Arabia as well as other wealthy Muslim countries opened their arms, doors, and borders to refugees?

I'm unable, to find any, as of this writing.

Thank you kindly.
I don't know; I generally follow the data rather than the opinions of the author.

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
Your or my opinion isn´t all that relevant - it´s the way the laws of the respective countries and international law define it.
You may want to direct your complaints to the governments of those countries.

On another note, consider this scenario: A Christian who is persecuted for his belief in his home country - do you think that his possession of a cell phone should keep another country from granting him safe haven?

Bravo, you have given your opinion and even extended advice. Quite generous of you. You'll forgive me if i disagree and decline won't you?

On another note, nice try, my friend. Perhaps you could try another, less-used angle next time.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
Bravo, you have given your opinion and even extended advice. Quite generous of you.
You asked, so I tried to do my best.
You'll forgive me if i disagree and decline won't you?
Well, if you feel you need forgiveness for disagreeing with someone, that would be the international and national laws that you disagree with.

Perhaps you could try another, less-used angle next time.
I´m afraid I don´t understand. Whose or which angle would you prefer to learn about?

Upvote 0

brinny

everlovin' shiner of light in dark places
Site Supporter
Mar 23, 2004
✟1,345,013.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Constitution
You asked, so I tried to do my best.

Well, if you feel you need forgiveness for disagreeing with someone, that would be the international and national laws that you disagree with.

I´m afraid I don´t understand. Whose or which angle would you prefer to learn about?

That's unfortunate.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟982,622.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Well ..... they dress well and have nice-looking bicycles. They do not appear to be
tired, poor, huddled masses, wretched refuse...... However, if necessary, my entire family would seek safety, of course. I don't believe we'd take much in the way of supplies.

France really stuck it to us with that statue. We should send it back. Oh wait, they are being flooded with "wretched refuse" from the middle east. :eek:

Upvote 0

TheNorwegian

Aug 17, 2015
Norway
✟96,776.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
If true, this would be a serious breach of international treaties, and would be hugely out of character for Norway. I would like to read about it somewhere more reliable than Sputnik News before I'm convinced that Norway would deport refugees.

Almost everyone in the world has mobile phones, including Syrian refugees. As for lawyers, they had probably been in touch with advocacy groups who act on their behalf. NGOs etc.

I am a little late to this thread, but maybe I can bring some clarity to the issue. It is true that Norway returned a number of refugees coming across the border from Russia. The reason is that they could easily claim refugee status in Russia, since that was the first country they arrived in after fleeing Syria. Some refugees decided that they'd rather continue on to Norway, and the Russian authorities just allowed that to happen. In the end, Norway decided to just send them all back to Russia and not allow them to stay in Norway. Russia is a safe country - even though less prosperous than Norway.

This became a minor diplomatic skirmish between Norway and Russia. In the end, the Russians decided to investigate this and it turned out that one single Russian official had stamped all of the visas of the refugees. There is suspicion that this official made a quite good business out of this, but as far as I know the case has not yet gone to court (innocent until proven guilty...)

Reactions: Oafman
Upvote 0