TRAPPE
✟336.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Just curious on some thoughts my husband was kicked out of his men's group. He consistently went and would even fill in for the pastor from time to time. But my husband also coaches softball. In the spring and summer, so he would not usually be part of that group during them two seasons. The pastor who was also one of his best friends, pulled him aside. And said that he would be making an example out of him For the young men who were there. He wanted the young man to be disciplined in coming every week. And since my husband could not come due to coaching,( Which he has been doing for fourteen years) he was not allowed to come back to the group anymore. What are your thoughts biblically on this?
More recently, a false accusation was said about my daughter and the same. Pastor told her she could not come to youth group Until there was a meeting. My daughter is a good girl, does not get into any trouble and loves the lord. As does my husband. Biblical thoughts on kicking people out of small groups?

May 2, 2024
Mid-Atlantic
✟898.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Not sure what the solution is. But I can say from my own experience, and that of others, that this isnt unique.

For example, Ben Carson wrote that his mom's testimony was attacked by her ex (a pastor). Every time she would attend a new church, he would label her as a "troublemaker", etc.

My own experience was even worse. Sometimes a Christian's worst enemy isnt the ungodly, but rather fellow believers who get some thrill out of knocking others down.

Looking fwd to other people's insight.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,741,422.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Just curious on some thoughts my husband was kicked out of his men's group. He consistently went and would even fill in for the pastor from time to time. But my husband also coaches softball. In the spring and summer, so he would not usually be part of that group during them two seasons. The pastor who was also one of his best friends, pulled him aside. And said that he would be making an example out of him For the young men who were there. He wanted the young man to be disciplined in coming every week. And since my husband could not come due to coaching,( Which he has been doing for fourteen years) he was not allowed to come back to the group anymore. What are your thoughts biblically on this?
More recently, a false accusation was said about my daughter and the same. Pastor told her she could not come to youth group Until there was a meeting. My daughter is a good girl, does not get into any trouble and loves the lord. As does my husband. Biblical thoughts on kicking people out of small groups?
I think the pastor is totally in the wrong here. I’d be telling him so as well.

Upvote 0

com7fy8

May 22, 2013
Massachusetts
✟588,515.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
"nor as being lords over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock " (1 Peter 5:3)

So, yes the pastor himself must be a good example. And I would say they need to test if what he has done is controlling and lording over.

You can have a discussion about what is an excuse and what isn't, so the young men can think and pray about what they do; and do not do things in ways to control what they think.
In case the coach is ministerial enough to stand in for the leader, he should be managed as a resource who can come to the group, at times, like how preachers can visit a church to preach.

Upvote 0