Feb 9, 2002
Ohio
✟29,532.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Originally posted by Dejan
More and more I have been inclined to believe that some supernatural and powerful happens in the Sacrament of Baptism. What do you think? Is it a mere public declaration of faith or the vehicle that God uses to communicate His grace of forgiveness?

Best place to find the answer to that question is to read the book of Ephes. Paul says: "There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called in one hope of your calling; [5] one Lord, one faith, one baptism; [6] one God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all." 4:4-6 

So we are told there is only one Baptism, yet there is a Baptism in water, a Baptism into Christ, and a Baptism into the Holy Spirit & Fire. (Matt 3:11) 

Galatians 3:27  For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

As far as powerful. Baptism prepares us to receive the Lord's body and blood. That is where the power is, the resurrection power of God. That is more powerful than any atomic bomb man has ever devised. There is power in the blood to wash and clease away any sin or sickness. Even to raise people up from the dead.

Upvote 0
1 Peter 3:20-21
In [the ark] only a few people, eight in all, were saved through water,
21 and this water symbolizes baptism that now saves you also-not the removal of dirt from the body but the pledge of a good conscience toward God. It saves you by the resurrection of Jesus Christ.

Again, Peter contends that baptism saves us.
We know that he doesn't mean baptism over and against the cross! We also know that he would have condemned the idea of meriting salvation. He contends that it saves us by the resurrection of Christ.

Baptism:
Gives us the Holy Spirit (Ac 2:38)
Cleanses our sin (Ac. 2:22:16)
Adds us to His church (1cor 12:13)

Essential to salvation?

(Please don't take such a view to be judgemental - I place judgement on no one- By grace and grace alone are we saved! Does this mean we don't need to repent?!! Ofcourse we do, but as essentially important as repentance and baptism are, they are not the grounds of salvation- that lies in the cross. Repentance and baptism are biblically prescribed means of accepting His gift. Not a work that you do-but a work that He does in you.)

John 14:17
"The Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him,
for
he lives WITH you
and will be IN you."

Acts 22:16
16 And now what are you waiting for? Get up, be baptized and wash your sins away, calling on his name.'

Acts 2:38
38 Peter replied, "Repent and be baptized, every one of you, in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins. And you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit.

Gal 3:26-27
26 You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, 27 for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ.

1 Cor 12:13
13 For we were all baptized by one Spirit into one body

Upvote 0

SpiritPsalmist

Heavy lean toward Messianic
Site Supporter
Jun 13, 2002
Southeast Kansas
✟393,824.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Originally posted by Dejan
More and more I have been inclined to believe that some supernatural and powerful happens in the Sacrament of Baptism. What do you think? Is it a mere public declaration of faith or the vehicle that God uses to communicate His grace of forgiveness?

What type of baptism are you referring to brother?  :scratch:

Upvote 0
I have a question here - a baptised Catholic - But now doing Lutheran services - all is fine. Wife is a Southern Baptist, we both go to the Lutheran Church now. Problem is we are thinking of leaving the Lutheran Church and my wife wants to go back to Baptist.

So now to my question - do I get baptized again? The "baptist" way - I dont get it...

Upvote 0

I can eat 50 eggs

what we have here is a failure to communicate
Oct 3, 2002
Hampstead, Maryland
Visit site
✟16,632.00
Faith
Christian
You don't have to get dunked, just tell them you want to join by confession of faith (that's how I did it) however, expect some flak when they find out you were baptised as an infant.

I guess whether you get re-baptised all comes down to deciding whether your first one was valid.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.