✟405,713.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Noooooo...

"I believe a god exists." or "I do not believe a god exists." are not truth claims about a god's existence. They are only true or false in the sense that the person speaking could be lying about their beliefs.

"A god exists." or "A god does not exist." are truth claims about a god's existence.
Someone who says, "I don't think God exists, but I don't know if it is true" is called an agnostic atheist.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Explain how I'm wrong.

Do atheist claim that atheism is true or not? If not, then how is there any truth in atheism?

If there's no truth in atheism and you actually value truth, then shouldn't you look elsewhere?

You seem to be ignorant of semantics of the word "true" and "truth", and you are inconsistently applying it to various concepts. That's why. You are switching the context, and then squeezing the meaning out of concepts that are not warranted.

Just because a concept is not a claim about truth, doesn't mean that the concept itself isn't true :).

Consider this: "I don't know and I can't believe that Leprechauns exist, I'll believe it when I see it."... This statement is not a claim about some true reality about leprechauns. It doesn't however mean that it's automatically incorrect statement and there's no truth in it.

You are switching semantic context and proclaiming victory :)

Again:

Atheism is essentially a form of "decision pending" on a condition that better evidence arrives.

If better evidence doesn't arrive, then it will keep being a "decision pending".

Reactions: bhsmte
Upvote 0

Chriliman

Everything I need to be joyful is right here
May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can you please define truth for me in your own words. I don't want you cutting and pasting dictionary definitions. I think you misunderstand what truth is as a concept.

In the context of theism vs atheism, the truth about God is unavoidable, eventually we'll all know the truth, it's only a matter of time.

What if there's no way of finding out right there and then? How would you know and accept anything? On which bases would you claim such belief other than a random guess? The whole point of illustration was to show you that:

1) Without conclusive evidence the truth claims are useless
2) The opposite of believe is not non-belief.

Atheism is essentially a form of "decision pending" on a condition that better evidence arrives.

I'll accept that.

Well, that's the whole point, isn't it. In your case, your claim is based on a 100 year old leaflet that was written down as a story about gumball machines :).

Okay, in that case the gumballs represent the written word of God and the written word of God leads us to the truth of God, which is Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You seem to be ignorant of semantics of the word "true" and "truth", and you are inconsistently applying it to various concepts. That's why. You are switching the context, and then squeezing the meaning out of concepts that are not warranted.

Just because a concept is not a claim about truth, doesn't mean that the concept itself isn't true :).

Consider this: "I don't know and I can't believe that Leprechauns exist, I'll believe it when I see it."... This statement is not a claim about some true reality about leprechauns. It doesn't however mean that it's automatically incorrect statement and there's no truth in it.

You are switching semantic context and proclaiming victory :)

Again:

If better evidence doesn't arrive, then it will keep being a "decision pending".

So your definition of your own atheism is that you don't actually know if God exists or not because you haven't come accross evidence of God?

If that's the case, then that's fine :)

Upvote 0

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Okay, in that case the gumballs represent the written word of God and the written word of God leads us to the truth of God, which is Jesus Christ.

No.. Gumballs represent God :)... and would would be some book you found about gumball machines... but you seem to completely miss the point fir the analogy.

Upvote 0

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
So your definition of your own atheism is that you don't actually know if God exists or not because you haven't come accross evidence of God?

If that's the case, then that's fine :)

It's not my definition. That's what atheism is. Both lack of knowledge and lack of belief due to insufficient evidence.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In the context of theism vs atheism, the truth about God is unavoidable, eventually we'll all know the truth, it's only a matter of time.

I'll accept that.

Only you're opinion.

Upvote 0

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

I'd really advice you to think through statements that you post, because being continually and demonstrably wrong can damage your credibility and encourage other people not take you seriously... because you don't take your own thought process seriously.

How would you tell a difference or know the truth about God if you believe in God and then die and God doesn't exist?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I'd really advice you to think through statements that you post, because being continually and demonstrably wrong can damage your credibility and encourage other people not take you seriously... because you don't take your own thought process seriously.

How would you tell a difference or know the truth about God if you believe in God and then die and God doesn't exist?

That goes without saying. Obviously if God does not exist, you won't know it even after your body dies. The point is that if God does exist, you'll eventually find out in this life or after your mortal body passes away.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
That goes without saying. Obviously if God does not exist, you won't know it even after your body dies. The point is that if God does exist, you'll eventually find out in this life or after your mortal body passes away.

If God is God of deism... you would again have no idea. There more than one God concept, you know that right? So, you are wring again :)

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If God is God of deism... you would again have no idea. There more than one God concept, you know that right? So, you are wring again :)

Right, how could anyone know God unless he reveal himself to us first?

There may be multiple God concepts, but only One true God who gives knowledge of himself through His word.

Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

Opinion.

Upvote 0

Davian

fallible
May 30, 2011
West Coast of Canada
✟38,603.00
Faith
Ignostic
Marital Status
Married
If you do not have any way of knowing that this "god" exists before you die, how do you know about it?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Right, how could anyone know God unless he reveal himself to us first?

There may be multiple God concepts, but only One true God who gives knowledge of himself through His word.

Well, there are multiple gods like that through history. Virtually every culture has some claim to Holy Books or prophets who relay "God's word" to people.

How many times are you planning to be wrong on this thread :) ?

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Well, there are multiple gods like that through history. Virtually every culture has some claim to Holy Books or prophets who relay "God's word" to people.

How many times are you planning to be wrong on this thread :) ?
Sure, but that doesn't negate the logic behind God revealing himself through His spoken word in order for us to understand his purposes and why he made us. Christianity is the only faith that claims God's word became a man in order to teach us the way to God through Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

Chriliman

May 22, 2015
✟163,501.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
It's pointless debating this issue with Chrili... he refuses to understand.

I understand that you do not believe in God. That's the extent of your position. There is nothing else for me to understand about your position until you offer reasons why I should stop believing in God.

If you have no reasons why your position is more correct than mine then there is nothing for me to understand other than the fact that you don't believe in God.

Upvote 0

Archaeopteryx

Wanderer
Jul 1, 2007
✟70,740.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I understand that you do not believe in God. That's the extent of your position. There is nothing else for me to understand about your position until you offer reasons why I should stop believing in God.

If you have no reasons why your position is more correct than mine then there is nothing for me to understand other than the fact that you don't believe in God.
I'm fairly sure I've told you why I don't believe: there is no good reason to believe.

Upvote 0