devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Ok, I admit that the title is a bit of a "click bate" for both ends, but here it goes.

Browsing through some popular threads here, it seems like there's a general confusion as to what Atheism really is, and how that label tends to take on a "form" that shouldn't be ascribed to Atheism.

First of all, it should be noted that labels like Christian, Atheist, Republican, Democrat tend to be more pragmatic than carry some full scope of ontology of reality that these labels supposed to describe. These are very different from a more precise labels like "human", etc.

Thus, it's very easy to get lost in arguments against your own perception of the label as to what that label means to a person who takes it on as a description. In such, I'm not sure whether such labels are useful as shortcuts, or these create problematic perception.

We generally use them, because we are either "lazy" to repeat a list of what we believe, or because we find solace in some form of "righteous identity".

But, in short time I've spent on this forum, I've already had to clarify several times that "Atheism" is not a charge that God doesn't exist, at least it's not necessarily the case. In scope of our human experience, it tends to be a default position of not knowing and not believing.

From there we can progress into:

1) Staying in the default - not knowing and not believing that a God exists
2) Not knowing and believing that God exists
3) Claiming to know and by extension believing that God exists
4) Claiming to know and by extension not believing that God exists

So, there are a variety of positions. Some refuse to believe without evidence. Some believe without evidence.

But generally, #1 is labeled as "Agnosticism" and not Atheism, and here where confusion lies. Agnosticism is merely a claim of lack of knowledge through some form of experience or evidence. Both Atheists and theists have an overlap of not knowing.

IMO, the more general form of Atheism is anyone's default position of #1 - not knowing and not believing by extension. There are people who attempt to convince people both successfully and unsuccessfully to shift to a position of believe, but if they do shift to theism based on claims alone... that would make them Agnostic Theists.

The reason why I'm writing this is primarily because a lot of Christians associate Atheism as being closed to possibility of God, and view atheists on this board as trolls. That can be the case, but generally not IMO. There are cynics on either side of the spectrum and it's not inherent to either Christians or theists. I think people like myself are interested following up with whatever innovative evidence there may be for existence of supernatural and God, and such evidence and line of reasoning can come from individuals.

I hope that all of us would be interested to know if we indeed mistaking. I hope that would be true for either side of this issue. But, I don't think it's helpful to assume what a person believes or doesn't solely based on a one word label.

Last edited:
Reactions: CodyFaith

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Keep it simple.
Someone who believes and is convinced God does not exist is an a-theist.

Hence why I've make a post. You are confused on this issue, and you are casting an assumption on a wide spectrum of beliefs.

Atheism, in its basic form, is merely rejecting the claims of theism. For example, someone would make a claim "Do you believe that Bill Gunderson died?". I could say that I have no idea who Bill Gunderson is, therefore I can't make a belief claim about whether he is dead or alive. To which a counter question could be "So, you believe that he's alive then"? No, I have no clue who Gunderson is, and therefore I can't tell whether he is dead or alive without some evidence for either.

Reactions: CodyFaith
Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟181,094.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
As a former atheist and now Christian, I can at least relate to your frustration.

I used to claim to be an "agnostic" for the longest time, until I was pointed out there is no such thing and in actuality an atheist is one who doesn't believe in God, theist being one who does.

Has nothing to do with being convinced or being certain or anything, an atheist simply means one who doesn't believe, not one who "believes (with force) there is no God".

Anyone who would demonize my former position should check themselves before they wreck their-selves, as I was a very truth-revering individual and sought answers in life, I was moral (sinned too of course, but was still moral), and my truth-seeking nature was a form of righteousness in itself I believe.

I almost wish I hadn't have referred myself as agnostic all those years. Just a mistake in English, but also has serious consequences as I'm sure you've experienced, so I feel your pain.

Reactions: Noxot
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hence why I've make a post. You are confused on this issue,
No i'm not.
I just remember what words actually mean sometimes. :)
The trend is to make it mean 'agnostic', but there's already a word for that: "agnostic" (not convinced, not knowing).
You also have agnosticism, meaning the belief God('s existence) can not be known.
There are also God-haters and -deniers, but technically they can't be atheists.

Upvote 0

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟265,889.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
No i'm not.
I just remember what words actually mean sometimes. :)
The trend is to make it mean 'agnostic', but there's already a word for that: "agnostic" (not convinced, not knowing).
You also have agnosticism, meaning the belief God('s existence) can not be known.
There are also God-haters and -deniers, but technically they can't be atheists.

Wrong again.

Agnosticism deals with knowledge. Atheism deals with belief. They aren't mutually exclusive.

You can be an agnostic atheist, or a gnostic atheist, or an agnostic theist, or...

http://atheism.about.com/od/aboutagnosticism/a/Atheist-vs-Agnostic-Difference.htm

Upvote 0

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

:)

1) You completely ignored the points I was making about not casting your own assumptions on what other people believe or not

2) You ignore that words don't do the meaning... people do. Words tend to shift with what WE collectively have them mean. Thus, I think it's a lot better to actually let any given person describe their own beliefs rather than assume and cast your own label on what you think they believe.

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Words have meanings, you see.
Rejecting theism is indeed atheism, because atheists believe God does not exists, as opposed to theists, so they reject theism.
The agnostic doesn't know.

And yes, we're all agnostic to a certain extent, because there are many things we don't know or are not convinced about.

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0

CodyFaith

Site Supporter
Jun 9, 2016
Canada
✟181,094.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Rejecting theism is indeed atheism, because atheists believe God does not exists, as opposed to theists, so they reject theism.

And yes, we're all agnostic to a certain extent, because there are many things we don't know or are not convinced about.
You're mistaken as far as words are concerned friend. Atheism, the actual definition of the word, is one without faith in God. You can be without faith, searching for answers, and not reject and take the stance that "God does not exist."

That's what they've been saying.

Reactions: SteveB28
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToddNotTodd

Iconoclast
Feb 17, 2004
✟265,889.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married

Annnnd... wrong for a third time.

Did you not read the link from my last post?

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
You're mistaken as far as words are concerned friend. Atheism, the actual definition of the word, is one without faith in God. You can be without faith, searching for answers, and not reject and take the stance that "God does not exist."

That's what they've been saying.
THAT'S AN AGNOSTIC, friend..

Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
This is an atheist:

136129510_dawkins_449347b.jpg

Upvote 0

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
http://bigthink.com/think-tank/atheism-easter-atheister

Richard Dawkins: "On a scale of seven, where one means I know he exists, and seven I know he doesn't, I call myself a six. That doesn't mean I'm absolutely confident, that I absolutely know, because I don't." score 6.0
Fine.
As said, we all have uncertainty, we're all a bit agnostic.
But on a scale of 7, 6 is closer to 7 than to the middle.
So..

Upvote 0

devolved

Sep 4, 2013
US
✟67,927.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Scale:
theist ----- agnostic ----- atheist

There are also naturalists, who believe the universe is all there is, all there has been (albeit concentrated in a point in nothingness to start with)

You have to understand that it's a Dawkins' self-described scale that he himself made up to align and categorize spectrum of beliefs on basis of claims of certainty.

If Dawkins calims that he doesn't know whether God exists or not... he is by definition an agnostic, which he admitted that he doesn't know. He would claim that he knows that a Christian God doesn't exist... but doesn't make such claim when it comes to a general idea or concept of God out there. Hence #6.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Hieronymus

Jan 12, 2016
the Hague NL
✟69,862.00
Country
Netherlands
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Scale:
theist ----- agnostic ----- atheist
Better still:
theist -- agnostic theist -- agnostic -- agnostic atheist -- atheist.

Judging by what i read from Cody, he was never like Dawkins.
I think Dawkins calls himself an atheist though.
Heck, he's THE famous atheist idol, isn't he?

Upvote 0