4 dead (including a child) 1 critically injured in office complex shooting in Orange, California

Erik Nelson

Site Supporter
Aug 6, 2017
Utah
✟347,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I don't own any firearms, I don't need any either.
And everyone else is just like you?

If everyone else acted just like you do, where you are; except where they are; your actions in their shoes on their streets would keep them safe?

No matter who they are or where they live, if they just acted like you, they'd be better off?

Why didn't they think of that already?

Upvote 0

Nithavela

our world is happy and mundane
Apr 14, 2007
Comb. Pizza Hut and Taco Bell/Jamaica Avenue.
✟499,989.00
Country
Germany
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
It's nice to see that the knee-jerk reactions to mass shootings are still well-trained. People don't even need to engage with the shooting at hand and go right to defending their guns.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And everyone else is just like you?

If everyone else acted just like you do, where you are; except where they are; your actions in their shoes on their streets would keep them safe?

No matter who they are or where they live, if they just acted like you, they'd be better off?

Why didn't they think of that already?

The fear factor seems to be a major issue. In countries where the dangerous weapons are in the hands of trained professionals with a particular job to do, life is safer. In the US, where anyone can get a gun, life is more dangerous, Hollywood mythology notwithstanding. There are a lot of other factors of course, issues like huge wealth inequality and other societal issues don't help. The 'more guns is safer' approach is an accelerant, not a solution. If that ever does change it will only be in the much longer term, as people attached to the idea that they are only safe if armed may give way to a different kind of mentality/society. Time will tell I suppose.

Upvote 0

Larniavc

Leading a blameless life
Jul 14, 2015
✟319,239.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
UK-Liberal-Democrats
Drunk drivers are bad, not cars, nor good drivers. And more drunk drivers kill more Americans each year than "mass shooters".
Cars aren’t designed to kill people so it’s apples and oranges.

Obviously: which you already know. One wonders why you would post this.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well we'll have to disagree on that, producing anything like the amount of explosive needed to cause large scale death without blowing yourself up in the process isn't as easy as doing a bit of DIY.
Many of those shooters kill themselves

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
That's probably true, but could be addressed as a medium term project using amnesties, raids etc. but in the longer term with a move away from the idea of guns as a desirable thing to have around.
You are not going to change a culture and neither are the liberals in this country

• Winner
Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How small a percentage of the population relies on a gun for that? How would a registration requirement interfere with it?
forget registration no one is stupid enough to go along with step one in gun confiscation

• Agree
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You are not going to change a culture and neither are the liberals in this country

I think there’s quite a bit more to North American culture than guns. It seems likely that part of US culture will diminish over time.

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think there’s quite a bit more to North American culture than guns. It seems likely that part of US culture will diminish over time.
There are those who seem to be doing everything they can to diminish the values of this nation.

• Agree
Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Sure, but by choice, not accident.
my point is if you have someone who does not value their own life the will blow themselves up while killing as many people as possible, does the term suicide vest mean anything to you. By the way I have known kids as young as 10 making pipe bombs. Making explosives is not complicated.

• Agree
Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟155,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Smithsonian http://June 1918 article from the trade publication Earnshaw's Infants' Department said said:
A June 1918 article from the trade publication Earnshaw's Infants' Department said, “The generally accepted rule is pink for the boys, and blue for the girls. The reason is that pink, being a more decided and stronger color, is more suitable for the boy, while blue, which is more delicate and dainty, is prettier for the girl.” Other sources said blue was flattering for blonds, pink for brunettes; or blue was for blue-eyed babies, pink for brown-eyed babies, according to Paolet
Pink used to be the colors for boys and blue was the color for girls.
This was about 100 years ago.
You were saying?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟155,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
Sure, but by choice, not accident.
Consider it an occupational hazard.
If one finds themselves shooting a gun at other people, one should expect to receive return fire within a couple of minutes, (seconds in some areas).

Upvote 0

Pommer

CoPacEtiC SkEpTic
Sep 13, 2008
Earth
✟155,182.00
Country
United States
Faith
Deist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
US-Democrat
my point is if you have someone who does not value their own life the will blow themselves up while killing as many people as possible, does the term suicide vest mean anything to you. By the way I have known kids as young as 10 making pipe bombs. Making explosives is not complicated.
We used to make ‘firecrackers’ out of those red rolls of caps.
One would pierce each cap with a needle, SLOWLY, otherwise you’d ignite the powder and then fold it, accordion-style back onto the needle, keep it compressed while taping it and insert a match as a “fuse”.
The green sticky one on sheets would’ve probably worked better since they had a third more powder, but those were like 50¢* a sheet!

*$26.67 in 2021 dollars

Upvote 0

disciple Clint

Mar 26, 2018
Pacific Northwest
✟208,189.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Pink used to be the colors for boys and blue was the color for girls.
This was about 100 years ago.
You were saying?
Yes I was or should I say I am saying that your point about colors is totally irrelevant to changing values as near and dear as the 2nd.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
There are those who seem to be doing everything they can to diminish the values of this nation.

The two sides over there seem to have a lot in common, they just insist that there way of interpreting a particular value is better. A bit of humility would go a long way.

Upvote 0

Tom 1

Optimistic sceptic
Site Supporter
Nov 13, 2017
Tarnaveni
✟818,769.00
Country
Romania
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

There's something of a scale between a pipe bomb and the kind of explosion that can take down a building, or even a suicide vest that works as intended. Whether kids can master it or not, it's a bit of a tenuous argument that no guns would mean more bombs.

Upvote 0