• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Would you be more likely to join…

David Lamb

May 30, 2024
Paignton
✟21,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The 1 Timothy thought starts in verse 8, with "Deacons likewise..." So it's already discussing deacons. Then we get to verse 11 and the mention of the women/wives, and that's where it's not clear exactly what the author meant; the women deacons or the wives of deacons.
But as I said, the very next words talk about deacons being the husband of one wife. If The wives/women in verse 11 were themselves deacons, how could they be the husband of one wife? And anyway, why employ a word meaning "wife" or "woman" to mean "deaconess"? As far as I know, the Greek word for "man" (I think it's "aner") is never used to mean "deacon".

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,574,270.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But as I said, the very next words talk about deacons being the husband of one wife. If The wives/women in verse 11 were themselves deacons, how could they be the husband of one wife?
It's an idiom for faithful monogamy. If they are speaking of deacons who happen to be a mixed group, then it would be better translated (as some English versions do) as something like, "married only once."
And anyway, why employ a word meaning "wife" or "woman" to mean "deaconess"? As far as I know, the Greek word for "man" (I think it's "aner") is never used to mean "deacon".
I think the sense of it flows like this:

The deacons likewise should be (all the virtues listed), and (just in case there was any doubt) all of this applies to the women deacons as well.

Upvote 0

David Lamb

May 30, 2024
Paignton
✟21,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
It's an idiom for faithful monogamy. If they are speaking of deacons who happen to be a mixed group, then it would be better translated (as some English versions do) as something like, "married only once."

I think the sense of it flows like this:

The deacons likewise should be (all the virtues listed), and (just in case there was any doubt) all of this applies to the women deacons as well.
But even if we allow what you say (about an idiom for faithful monogamy), that still doesn't explain why the usual word for woman or wife should in this context be used to mean "deaconess", particularly when the word "diakonos" (servant or deacon) is used of both sexes, though there is, as far as I can tell, only one place where it is specifically referring to a woman (Phoebe in Romans 16), and most English translations have "servant" there.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,574,270.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
But even if we allow what you say (about an idiom for faithful monogamy), that still doesn't explain why the usual word for woman or wife should in this context be used to mean "deaconess", particularly when the word "diakonos" (servant or deacon) is used of both sexes, though there is, as far as I can tell, only one place where it is specifically referring to a woman (Phoebe in Romans 16), and most English translations have "servant" there.
I don't know why, in particular, the author felt the need to emphatically include the women. Maybe that was being disputed already. Maybe there was some feeling that different qualifications for the different sexes might be appropriate, and this was answering that. To answer "why?" we'd have to go into speculation. Nonetheless, that is how I make sense of the text.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟894,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The passage is discussing deacons. So the question is, when it talks (in that context) about women or wives, does it mean women who are deacons, or women who are wives of deacons?

I have no problem understanding it as women who are deacons, especially given Scripture elsewhere gives us a woman deacon, but some people who insist women can't be deacons read it as the deacons' wives.
For me, this is a rather "loose" reading. However, even with a very narrow reading, there is no question about Phoebe.

That being said, in our tradition, the roll of Deaconess on one of dedicated service to the Church, outside of the Liturgy. Only men are permitted to serve in the capacity of Liturgical Deacons (both consecrated and lay) and assist with Sacramental administration, or to lead non eucharistic services from the Daily office in the absence of a Pastor.

A good article regarding this can be found here: The diaconate in Lutheran Church–Canada - The Canadian Lutheran

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟272,566.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Well, I am in the middle on this one. Mary gave birth to Jesus, so I feel that women can be vessels for spreading the Good News also, but I will not debate on that.
That is a valid observation, but if you note that although Mary made a significant contribution to the Gospels, she took no credit for it. She maintained the primary Christian virtue of humility.

Her answer to Gabriel was be it done to me according to thy word. We infer her contribution to the Gospels as the writers use phrases like Mary kept all these things in her heart and details are revealed that the writers had no way of knowing unless Mary told them, yet there is no gospel of Mary, she yielded that honor to the writers and the Church authority Jesus ordained

All women should take the example of Mary and stop trying to exalt themselves. If there is no record of the Blessed Mother administering any of the Sacraments, then what makes any modern woman think she is worthy of the role? Does she exalt herself even above Mary?

No, women’s liberation and the patriarchy are modern deceptions and fall outside the grace of God. John Paul II declared infallibly that the Church has no authority to ever ordain women.

If somehow she is deceived to ordain women, I would fast and pray in dust and ashes, as grave deception would have come upon us, but I can’t leave the Church, as she is the Body of Christ ordained by God, not the will of men I would just be sure to never attend a parish where a woman endeavored to administer the sacraments, as they are invalid by definition

Upvote 0

AlexB23

Christian
CF Ambassadors
Site Supporter
Aug 11, 2023
WI
✟619,095.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
That is a valid observation, but if you note that although Mary made a significant contribution to the Gospels, she took no credit for it. She maintained the primary Christian virtue of humility.

Her answer to Gabriel was be it done to me according to thy word. We infer her contribution to the Gospels as the writers use phrases like Mary kept all these things in her heart and details are revealed that the writers had no way of knowing unless Mary told them, yet there is no gospel of Mary, she yielded that honor to the writers and the Church authority Jesus ordained

All women should take the example of Mary and stop trying to exalt themselves. If there is no record of the Blessed Mother administering any of the Sacraments, then what makes any modern woman think she is worthy of the role? Does she exalt herself even above Mary?

No, women’s liberation and the patriarchy are modern deceptions and fall outside the grace of God. John Paul II declared infallibly that the Church has no authority to ever ordain women.

If somehow she is deceived to ordain women, I would fast and pray in dust and ashes, as grave deception would have come upon us, but I can’t leave the Church, as she is the Body of Christ ordained by God, not the will of men I would just be sure to never attend a parish where a woman endeavored to administer the sacraments, as they are invalid by definition
This is an old post, so sorry, I do not get the context of this anymore. God bless, though.

Upvote 0

David Lamb

May 30, 2024
Paignton
✟21,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
staff edit
Mary did not "ask Jesus to turn water into wine." What she said to Him was:

“They have no wine.” (Joh 2:3 NKJV)

Even if she had asked Jesus to turn water into wine, are you really suggesting that that is a justification for a "woman priest" to ask a "male priest" to play Jesus in a communion service? Indeed, the whole notion of anybody "playing Jesus" as part of a communion service is wrong. Jesus told His followers, "Do this in remembrance of Me," not "Reenact this, using role-play, in remembrance of Me."

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Love365

Jul 23, 2020
Kentucky
✟112,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Mary did not "ask Jesus to turn water into wine." What she said to Him was:

“They have no wine.” (Joh 2:3 NKJV)

Even if she had asked Jesus to turn water into wine, are you really suggesting that that is a justification for a "woman priest" to ask a "male priest" to play Jesus in a communion service? Indeed, the whole notion of anybody "playing Jesus" as part of a communion service is wrong. Jesus told His followers, "Do this in remembrance of Me," not "Reenact this, using role-play, in remembrance of Me."
According to the Catholic Church,
only a male priest can represent Jesus during Communion.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟894,231.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
You are correct, and not only in the Catholic Church but in the Orthodox Churches and Confessional Lutheran Churches like my own.

The doctrine is called "in persona Christi"; this is not "playing Jesus", rather it is a divine mystery that transcends both time and space with heaven and earth coming together in eternal worship, praise and grace together with all the faithful who have preceded us. It extends beyond the celebration of the Eucharist.

In early Lutheran practice, maintained only in the most conservative Lutheran churches today,[12] when a Lutheran pastor offers the sacrament of Holy Absolution, he acts in persona Christi.[1] This informs the theology behind the seal of the confessional.[1] Because the priest "acts in Christ’s stead when he absolves a sinner (Luke 10:16; 2 Corinthians 2:10), he acts in Christ’s stead also when he hears a confession."[1] As such, "He may therefore not reveal what Christ Himself does not reveal” (Isaiah 43:25; Jeremiah 31:34)."[1] In persona Christi - Wikipedia

staff edit
The Celebrant does not "play" Jesus

I suggest rather than showing us how little you understand it might be more beneficial for you to ask questions about what we actually believe and do, rather than telling us what you think we believe.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: The Liturgist
Upvote 0

David Lamb

May 30, 2024
Paignton
✟21,645.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
But I wouldn't imagine that the Roman Catholic church teaches that anyone "plays Jesus." In Baptist churches, the bread and the wine represent Jesus, not the pastor or whoever is distributing the emblems.

Upvote 0

FreeinChrist

CF Advisory team
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Jul 2, 2003
USA
✟1,899,943.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
ADVISOR HAT

Folks, this thread had a small clean up. Remember the flaming rule. It includes:

• Stating or implying that another Christian member, or group of members, are not Christian is not allowed.​

EDIT
Further clean up was done. Please speak respectfully when discussing the communion practices of other churches. Please do not use negative or disrespectful terms like 'playing Jesus'.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paidiske
Upvote 0

The Liturgist

Traditional Liturgical Christian
Site Supporter
Nov 26, 2019
The Wild West
✟599,269.00
Country
United States
Faith
Generic Orthodox Christian
Marital Status
Celibate
The 1 Timothy thought starts in verse 8, with "Deacons likewise..." So it's already discussing deacons. Then we get to verse 11 and the mention of the women/wives, and that's where it's not clear exactly what the author meant; the women deacons or the wives of deacons.

We do know the early church had deaconesses, however, they were celibate and usually widows. Originally the minimum age was forty, but was later increased to sixty at the Quinisext Council.

Also the Armenian Apostolic Church never entirely abolished the order of deaconesses, and we have an Armenian friend on the site who recently provided some interesting history on the subject, i think in this thread. The Copts I have heard have reintroduced them in part to run the large number of orphanages that are required by Egypt’s cruel Shariah-based ban on adoption even of orphaned children.

Upvote 0

okay

Apr 10, 2023
New England
✟35,542.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
My answer to the OP is NO.

I have no trust in streams of Christianity like the Catholic Church or Southern Baptists that have such terrible recent track records on protecting congregants from predators. The way both place essentially all power in the hands of men might be part of the problem, so perhaps allowing women priests might help. But I still wouldn’t trust them.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟272,566.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

I have no trust in streams of Christianity like the Catholic Church or Southern Baptists that have such terrible recent track records on protecting congregants from predators. The way both place essentially all power in the hands of men might be part of the problem, so perhaps allowing women priests might help. But I still wouldn’t trust them.
Would you have left Israel because Saul was an evil king, or because of any of the other evil kings in her history? Would you have fled to an imitation Israel if there was one while the Ark was in Jerusalem?

Upvote 0

Love365

Jul 23, 2020
Kentucky
✟112,614.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private

Women bishops and women cardinals
would have the power to stop any abuse.

Upvote 0

Paidiske

Clara bonam audax
Site Supporter
Apr 25, 2016
Albury, Australia
Visit site
✟1,574,270.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Women bishops and women cardinals
would have the power to stop any abuse.
No, look, they don't. For two reasons.

One is that there are always abusers in the church, because the church is made up of humans who are sinners, and this is one form that that sin takes. We can aim to minimise it, we can limit opportunities, we can try to screen abusers out of positions of power, we can refuse to cover it up but I don't believe we can ever entirely stop abuse.

And the other is that women, too, abuse. Not as often sexually or physically, it is true; but women leaders abuse emotionally and spiritually. There's no reason to think that women, given access to positions of power, would be so self-aware, so virtuous, and so holy, as to totally avoid doing so, because we are human.

Upvote 0
Jun 26, 2003
Visit site
✟272,566.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
No, look, they don't. For two reasons.

One is that there are always abusers in the church, because the church is made up of humans who are sinners, and this is one form that that sin takes. We can aim to minimise it, we can limit opportunities, we can try to screen abusers out of positions of power, we can refuse to cover it up but I don't believe we can ever entirely stop abuse.

And the other is that women, too, abuse. Not as often sexually or physically, it is true; but women leaders abuse emotionally and spiritually. There's no reason to think that women, given access to positions of power, would be so self-aware, so virtuous, and so holy, as to totally avoid doing so, because we are human.
A woman seeking power from which she has not a right is not acting in humility
We take the example of our Lady. She bore the Savior. He grew inside her body. The Creator of the universe grew inside her, and He was subject to her for 30 years. They must have had many conversations. If any one would seek power it would be her, but she did not. She accepted her humble role as a woman.

She knows God better than anyone, yet she yielded to God’s will and let the Gospel writers take the credit, but a good deal of information came from her. She let the Apostles have the authority over the Church as that was God’s will.
She is the only one ever who can read the Bible and say, “That’s my boy”, yet she humbled herself and she was exalted to Queen of Heaven and Earth.

If she could do that, what benefit do modern women hope to gain by exalting themselves over God’s Church? Nothing good will come of it. Not to the women, not to the Church

Upvote 0