• With the events that occured on July 13th, 2024, a reminder that posts wishing that the attempt was successful will not be tolerated. Regardless of political affiliation, at no point is any type of post wishing death on someone is allowed and will be actioned appropriately by CF Staff.

• Starting today August 7th, 2024, in order to post in the Married Couples, Courting Couples, or Singles forums, you will not be allowed to post if you have your Marital status designated as private. Announcements will be made in the respective forums as well but please note that if yours is currently listed as Private, you will need to submit a ticket in the Support Area to have yours changed.

Wisdom of Sirach

JM

Augsburg Catholic Conservative
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟805,939.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
"Pleasant speech gains more friends for itself, and a sweet-speaking tongue will multiply pleasant exchanges. Let those who are at peace with you be many, but let only one in a thousand be your advisor. If you make friends, test them thoroughly and don't trust them quickly. Some are friends when it is convenient, but they won't stay around during hard times. There are friends who turn into enemies, and they will reveal your disgraceful arguments. There are friends who are companions at your table, but they won't stay during hard times. They will act as if your belongings are theirs, and they will be bold toward your household slaves. If you are brought low, they will be against you, and they will abandon you. Stay away from your enemies, and be careful with your friends. Trustworthy friends are a strong shelter; whoever finds one has found a treasure. Trustworthy friends have no price, and no one can estimate their worth. Trustworthy friends are life's medicine, and those who fear the Lord will find them. Those who fear the Lord will direct their friendships well, because they will associate with people of like mind." Wisdom of Sirach 6:5-17

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟607,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
The Book of Common Prayer calls Sirach 'Ecclesiasticus'. I was at a clergy retreat in Waxahachie, Texas some years ago (which is where my profile pic was taken) and the appointed OT lesson for Morning Prayer was from the 43rd chapter of Ecclesiasticus. The host had invited some guys from Dallas Theological Seminary, which is Baptist, for the day and they were thoroughly flummoxed -blubbering about how Ecclesiastes only has 12 chapters. Those guys were very rude, insolent, and obnoxious. For purportedly educated individuals, they were pretty ignorant.

Upvote 0

MarkRohfrietsch

Unapologetic Apologist
Site Supporter
Dec 8, 2007
✟877,851.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Lutheran
Marital Status
Married
The Book of Common Prayer calls Sirach 'Ecclesiasticus'. I was at a clergy retreat in Waxahachie, Texas some years ago (which is where my profile pic was taken) and the appointed OT lesson for Morning Prayer was from the 43rd chapter of Ecclesiasticus. The host had invited some guys from Dallas Theological Seminary, which is Baptist, for the day and they were thoroughly flummoxed -blubbering about how Ecclesiastes only has 12 chapters. Those guys were very rude, insolent, and obnoxious. For purportedly educated individuals, they were pretty ignorant.
Sounds about right. LOL.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟300,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
They probably weren't aware the books of the apocrypha.

Upvote 0

Shane R

Priest
Site Supporter
Jan 18, 2012
Southeast Ohio
✟607,141.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Widowed
They probably weren't aware the books of the apocrypha.
Which is indefensible for a group of people attempting to portray themselves as Christian intellectuals.

Upvote 0

RileyG

Veteran
Angels Team
Feb 10, 2013
Nebraska
✟300,735.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Republican
Which is indefensible for a group of people attempting to portray themselves as Christian intellectuals.
Yeah that makes sense. I'm also aware of other books not included in the Catholic canon (such as 3 & 4 Maccabees, Enoch etc).

Upvote 0