2PhiloVoid

Critical Thinking ***contra*** Conformity!
Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,153,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'll keep this OP on a simple level. Here's our target:

Revelation 13:18

18 This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. That number is 666.​

Christians have been attempting to decipher the meaning of Revelation 13:18 for hundreds of years, but it seems that for all of the applied exegesis that thoughtful Christians have provided in our long history, no one has definitively proven the identity of "the man" who is alluded to in this verse. There have been numerous answers offered such as: Nero, The Pope, or even Ronald Reagan, among others.

But I'm wondering something. I almost never see other Christians place Solomon on this list of candidates. Why is this? And so, the question I have and pose, but not for the purpose of arguing with anyone since I merely want to see what everyone else thinks, is:

WHY CAN'T SOLOMON BE THE SUSPECT?

:cool:

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟974,529.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Because "Last Days" prophecies were given (among others) by people who came after Solomon, like Jesus, Paul & John.

Upvote 0

bekkilyn

Contemplative Christian
Site Supporter
Apr 27, 2017
USA
✟677,638.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Celibate
Politics
US-Others
Because "Last Days" prophecies were given (among others) by people who came after Solomon, like Jesus, Paul & John.

But that's only when assuming that time is linear. :)

Upvote 0

Douggg

anytime rapture, non-dispensationalist, futurist
May 28, 2009
Non-dispensationalist
✟363,657.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private

18 This calls for wisdom. Let the person who has insight calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man. That number is 666.​

Christians have been attempting to decipher the meaning of Revelation 13:18 for hundreds of years, but it seems that for all of the applied exegesis that thoughtful Christians have provided in our long history, no one has definitively proven the identity of "the man" who is alluded to in this verse. There have been numerous answers offered such as: Nero, The Pope, or even Ronald Reagan, among others.

But I'm wondering something. I almost never see other Christians place Solomon on this list of candidates. Why is this? And so, the question I have and pose, but not for the purpose of arguing with anyone since I merely want to see what everyone else thinks, is:

Okay, that's a good point. I have pondered that issue.

It could be that the person's name will be Solomon as well.

There is one thing that regarding Solomon - that his heart was not right with God

1KIngs11:4 For it came to pass, when Solomon was old, that his wives turned away his heart after other gods: and his heart was not perfect with the LORD his God, as was the heart of David his father.

5 For Solomon went after Ashtoreth the goddess of the Zidonians, and after Milcom the abomination of the Ammonites.

6 And Solomon did evil in the sight of the LORD, and went not fully after the LORD, as did David his father.

7 Then did Solomon build an high place for Chemosh, the abomination of Moab, in the hill that is before Jerusalem, and for Molech, the abomination of the children of Ammon.

8 And likewise did he for all his strange wives, which burnt incense and sacrificed unto their gods.

9 And the LORD was angry with Solomon, because his heart was turned from the LORD God of Israel, which had appeared unto him twice,

10 And had commanded him concerning this thing, that he should not go after other gods: but he kept not that which the LORD commanded.

11 Wherefore the LORD said unto Solomon, Forasmuch as this is done of thee, and thou hast not kept my covenant and my statutes, which I have commanded thee, I will surely rend the kingdom from thee, and will give it to thy servant.

12 Notwithstanding in thy days I will not do it for David thy father's sake: but I will rend it out of the hand of thy son.

Was that enough that Solomon could be the person in the end times? Hard to say. Perhaps Solomon prefigured the end times Jew who will become the Antichrist>revealed man of sin>beast. Or maybe as I suggested - that the name of the person, although not Solomon himself, may be Solomon.

Upvote 0

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟606,324.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
His name is Ali Hatem Al-Suleiman

7a. RoyalAH.jpg

Upvote 0

public hermit

social troglodyte
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2019
East Coast
✟875,795.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

I'm trying to figure out why it could be Solomon. I've never heard of him as a candidate, but I'm really curious as to why he might fit. So far, all I can think is knowing who fits calls for wisdom and Solomon was wise. :rolleyes: Lol, I'm thinking that's not what you're thinking. Hmm, why would Solomon be a candidate?

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,153,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm trying to figure out why it could be Solomon. I've never heard of him as a candidate, but I'm really curious as to why he might fit. So far, all I can think is knowing who fits calls for wisdom and Solomon was wise. :rolleyes: Lol, I'm thinking that's not what you're thinking. Hmm, why would Solomon be a candidate?

Yeah, you're right! I'm thinking something else. But honestly I'm not here at the moment to present what I may think about the verse in the OP, even on a hypothetical level. Instead, I want to hear from others who may share why they think that the verse in question can't possibly refer to Solomon. (Maybe sometime in the future we can discuss it and you can vet it out for me ... )

Until then. Peace, PH and thanks for stopping by !! :cool:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Bob_1000

Jul 30, 2021
Mid-West
✟20,776.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

If you count the number of the beast you will you will see that multiple millions of people throughout time have had the mark.

Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

parousia70

Livin' in yesterday's tomorrow
Site Supporter
Feb 24, 2002
Oregon
✟831,260.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps Solomon prefigured the end times Jew who will become the Antichrist>revealed man of sin>beast.

What scripture teaches that these three unique, separate, distinct biblical personalities are the same Person?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟606,324.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi parousia,

Why did you think that was funny? I was actually serious. Here are some more details -

`...a king (royal person) shall arise, having fierce features, who understands sinister schemes.....Through his cunning he shall cause deceit to prosper under his hand...`(Dan. 8: 23 - 25)

` ...he shall come in peaceably, and seize the kingdom by intrigue.` (11: 21)

There is a person of that description who is even now seeking to negotiate peace with the different groups. His name is Ali Hatem Al-Suleiman. He is one of the most prominent leaders of the Sunni Awakening.

In 2006 Ali Hatem entered a strategic alliance with US forces, (against ISIS) which, in combination with the surge in US troops that began in 2007, succeeded in re-establishing a modicum of security in Iraq.

Since then though, the Shi-ite Iraq Government have excluded the Sunni from the police, army and jobs. Thus there is still unrest in Iraq. Ali Hatem desires stability for Iraq through Political means and not through fighting.

He was brought up in cosmopolitan Bagdad and has often spoken publicly of the need for tolerance. He is a crown Prince with ties to royal families across the Arab Gulf and the elite of neighbouring Jordan. His tribe, the Dulaim, is one of the largest tribes in Iraq and is a powerful social, political and economic force. Note Babylon is in its region.

He has a talent for speeches and his title of crown Prince inspire respect and loyalty. He travels to Qatar and the United Arab Emirates to rally Gulf Arabs to his cause.

Someone to watch!

Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Watching and Praying Always
Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟211,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟211,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
To put it in context... there are 2 major camps when it comes to the identity of the man of sin.
There's the "revived Roman Empire" western Antichrist camp, which is the traditional more popular interpretation.. and then there is the Islamic Caliphate Islamic Antichrist camp, popularized by Joel Richardson.

There are arguments for both.

In Daniel 9, it states
26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself: and the people of the prince that shall come shall destroy the city and the sanctuary; and the end thereof shall be with a flood, and unto the end of the war desolations are determined.
27 And he shall confirm the covenant with many for one week: and in the midst of the week he shall cause the sacrifice and the oblation to cease, and for the overspreading of abominations he shall make it desolate, even until the consummation, and that determined shall be poured upon the desolate.

There are 3 main ways of interpreting this.

#1. That since the Roman army destroyed the temple and Jerusalem, that this means it will be the western Roman Empire.
#2. That since the Romans hired Syrians and Arabs into the army, that it could be eastern Roman Empire/Islamic
#3. That the Prince referred to is not the Antichrist, but rather Jesus (making the Roman Army to be the implements of God's judgement, like the Babylonians were instruments of God's judgement on Judah prior), which goes into a further interpretation that THE covenant is in fact the new covenant that gets strengthened so aligning with a latter rain fulfillment of Joel 2:28

I cannot say which one I really firmly side on, because I can see arguments for both, and because Revelation 17 says the following
10 And there are seven kings: five are fallen, and one is, and the other is not yet come; and when he cometh, he must continue a short space.
11 And the beast that was, and is not, even he is the eighth, and is of the seven, and goeth into perdition.

The five that are fallen, are Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Persia, and Greece. The one that was current in John's time was Rome, and the 7th could be the Ottoman Empire/Islamic Caliphate.

Now.. the 8th is of the seven... there are 2 ways to possibly interpret this:
1. That it is one of the seven previous empires
2. That it is an amalgamation of multiple previous empires

I side with #2 on this, meaning that this end of the world empire could consist of both Europe, representing the Roman and Greek empires, and the middle east, representing the Islamic Caliphate but also Babylon and Persia.
Daniel 2 tells us that the final empire will be like Iron mixed with clay, and will not be cohesive. So like Secular (and on the surface, Christian) Europe, and the Islamic middle east, it wouldn't be a great unity.

SO
Identity of the Antichrist or at least where he comes from?

can't be totally certain but there's a few things to consider
Revelation 17 tells us this
3 So he carried me away in the spirit into the wilderness: and I saw a woman sit upon a scarlet coloured beast, full of names of blasphemy, having seven heads and ten horns.

So at first, Mystery Babylon (the end times globalist civilization) rules over the beast

this is supported here also
15 And he saith unto me, The waters which thou sawest, where the harlot sitteth, are peoples, and multitudes, and nations, and tongues.

So Mystery Babylon rules the world for a time prior to the beast ruling the world.

Now we go further]
16 And the ten horns which thou sawest upon the beast, these shall hate the harlot, and shall make her desolate and naked, and shall eat her flesh, and burn her with fire.
17 For God hath put in their hearts to fulfil his will, and to agree, and give their kingdom unto the beast, until the words of God shall be fulfilled.

So first you have Mystery Babylon ruling the world, then the Beast turns on Mystery Babylon, destroys it, and then takes over ruling the world in her place.

So what I see as being quite possible, is a western Mystery Babylon, that is later taken over by an Islamic Antichrist.

• Useful
Reactions: 2PhiloVoid
Upvote 0

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟606,324.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
there's also Muhammad bin Salman Al Saud, the young, charismatic, "reformer" crown prince of Saudi Arabia.

Salman is also a derivative of Solomon.

yes, good find, they are related. However as the A/C is the Assyrian, and king of Babylon, then that places him in Iraq.

Upvote 0

Marilyn C

Pre-tribulation.
Site Supporter
Dec 26, 2013
Victoria
✟606,324.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To put it in context... there are 2 major camps when it comes to the identity of the man of sin.
There's the "revived Roman Empire" western Antichrist camp, which is the traditional more popular interpretation.. and then there is the Islamic Caliphate Islamic Antichrist camp, popularized by Joel Richardson.

There are arguments for both.

In Daniel 9, it states

There are 3 main ways of interpreting this.

#1. That since the Roman army destroyed the temple and Jerusalem, that this means it will be the western Roman Empire.
#2. That since the Romans hired Syrians and Arabs into the army, that it could be eastern Roman Empire/Islamic
#3. That the Prince referred to is not the Antichrist, but rather Jesus (making the Roman Army to be the implements of God's judgement, like the Babylonians were instruments of God's judgement on Judah prior), which goes into a further interpretation that THE covenant is in fact the new covenant that gets strengthened so aligning with a latter rain fulfillment of Joel 2:28

I cannot say which one I really firmly side on, because I can see arguments for both, and because Revelation 17 says the following

The five that are fallen, are Egypt, Assyria, Babylon, Persia, and Greece. The one that was current in John's time was Rome, and the 7th could be the Ottoman Empire/Islamic Caliphate.

Now.. the 8th is of the seven... there are 2 ways to possibly interpret this:
1. That it is one of the seven previous empires
2. That it is an amalgamation of multiple previous empires

I side with #2 on this, meaning that this end of the world empire could consist of both Europe, representing the Roman and Greek empires, and the middle east, representing the Islamic Caliphate but also Babylon and Persia.
Daniel 2 tells us that the final empire will be like Iron mixed with clay, and will not be cohesive. So like Secular (and on the surface, Christian) Europe, and the Islamic middle east, it wouldn't be a great unity.

SO
Identity of the Antichrist or at least where he comes from?

can't be totally certain but there's a few things to consider
Revelation 17 tells us this

So at first, Mystery Babylon (the end times globalist civilization) rules over the beast

this is supported here also

So Mystery Babylon rules the world for a time prior to the beast ruling the world.

Now we go further]

So first you have Mystery Babylon ruling the world, then the Beast turns on Mystery Babylon, destroys it, and then takes over ruling the world in her place.

So what I see as being quite possible, is a western Mystery Babylon, that is later taken over by an Islamic Antichrist.

Hi Jamdoc,

I was taught about the 4th beast (Dan. 7: 7) as Islam back in the `70`s when they were mainly just Arabs in the desert.

The specific descriptions of the A/C are -

1. Nationality - Assyrian. (Isa. 31: 8)
2. Region - King of the North. (Dan. 11: 40) the area of ancient Assyria.
3. City - King of Babylon. (Isa. 14: 4)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟211,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Even Daniel came after Solomon.

I think the idea was that these links to Solomon would be shadow fulfillments, the association with 666 building the temple and then later caving into idolatry.
Not that historic King Solomon was the man of sin, but that the man of sin would be associated with 666, and building a temple and later having an idol of himself set up in it, and maybe the name Solomon is somehow connected, with the variations of Solomon being Suleiman and Salman, and we've pointed out two Arab leaders with those names.
Food for thought at least.

Upvote 0

Handmaid for Jesus

You can't steal my joy
Site Supporter
Dec 19, 2010
enroute
✟1,421,371.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
I think the idea was that these links to Solomon would be shadow fulfillments, the association with 666 building the temple and then later caving into idolatry.
Not that historic King Solomon was the man of sin, but that the man of sin would be associated with 666, and building a temple and later having an idol of himself set up in it, and maybe the name Solomon is somehow connected, with the variations of Solomon being Suleiman and Salman, and we've pointed out two Arab leaders with those names.
I can see that as a possibility. It is worth watching imho. I believe we will know for sure before the last seven years before the Lord returns.

Upvote 0

2PhiloVoid

Site Supporter
Oct 28, 2006
The Void!
✟1,153,241.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Yes, this is the essential nuance I trend toward in the way I interpret this passage ... but enough about what I think. I appreciate your effort to look at this angle, even if my thinking on it turns out to be incorrect. :cool:

Reactions: public hermit
Upvote 0

Jamdoc

Oct 22, 2019
Helena
✟211,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I can see that as a possibility. It is worth watching imho. I believe we will know for sure before the last seven years before the Lord returns.

Well, we won't know for sure until the Abomination of Desolation.
but of course most Christians don't believe they'll be on earth to see that. I do but that's another thread.
what I think even Pretribulationists should probably brace themselves for and will be "tribulation" enough coming soon is Mystery Babylon, cause I think that's coming in a matter of years. It's been planned for 2030 and the UN has now fast forwarded that agenda to 2023.
BUT, a lot of people see the harlot babylon as being the same thing as the beast empire, which, according to scripture it's not, but rather the Antichrist destroys the harlot and takes over.

Upvote 0