Visit site
✟727,630.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Divorced
It is when a mature Christian abandons God and never seeks Him again.
In context, it is attributing to Satan the work of the Holy Spirit. The sin remains as long as the person holds to their wrong attitude. When the Baptism of the Holy Spirit became more widely accepted (1970's in Australia), some of the diehards were saying that it was of the devil. Christians need to be real sure of their ground before making judgements about gifts and manifestations.

Upvote 0

Lovetrusion

Dec 31, 2019
Bath
✟8,255.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interesting question... Simply there is God, then Jesus, then the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is like the final call to God. One could blaspheme God and be forgiven and so Jesus Christ. But the Holy Spirit is different because it then cleanses us. Now imagine in place of the Holy Spirit what else could it be replaced with? This is rhetoric question as the answer is allowing unclean spirits to be in your body with all your might even though the Truth is bared in front of you. Remember when Jesus warned those zealots against such blasphemy - It was all three components of God right in front of them and they really sought to disbelieve and account Jesus to being possessed by Beelzebub. Matthew 12. It's the extreme of saying to God I am going to rise above you and do my will. It is a step into creating your sovereignty which is impossible, even though churches are teaching people about free will which does not exist. Tying all this together this was the down fall of Lucifer.

• Useful
Reactions: pdudgeon
Upvote 0

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
In context, it is attributing to Satan the work of the Holy Spirit. The sin remains as long as the person holds to their wrong attitude. When the Baptism of the Holy Spirit became more widely accepted (1970's in Australia), some of the diehards were saying that it was of the devil. Christians need to be real sure of their ground before making judgements about gifts and manifestations.
Well said!!!

When Jesus said that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit would not be forgiven, He was referring to the ones who had just said that Jesus was casting out demons in the name of Satan.

Just as AP said, they were attributing to Satan the work of the Holy Spirit.

Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2019
inverness
✟74,529.71
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
so if i said it i would f comitted the unforgivable sin as awhile ago i said the pharisees are right is i was reeating t after i heard it in my mind so im screwed

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Repartee Animal: Quipping the Saints!
Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
On another thread, the OP said that he was OCD. We must be clear that it will only be "Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit," if he would never again repent (in this life).

Upvote 0

sportsfan

Dec 4, 2019
Cottonwood
✟20,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Interesting question... Simply there is God, then Jesus, then the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is like the final call to God. One could blaspheme God and be forgiven and so Jesus Christ. But the Holy Spirit is different because it then cleanses us. Now imagine in place of the Holy Spirit what else could it be replaced with? This is rhetoric question as the answer is allowing unclean spirits to be in your body with all your might even though the Truth is bared in front of you. Remember when Jesus warned those zealots against such blasphemy - It was all three components of God right in front of them and they really sought to disbelieve and account Jesus to being possessed by Beelzebub. Matthew 12. It's the extreme of saying to God I am going to rise above you and do my will. It is a step into creating your sovereignty which is impossible, even though churches are teaching people about free will which does not exist. Tying all this together this was the down fall of Lucifer.

Can the sin still be committed today? I have certainly been afraid that I committed it an a hallucination? I know that is a verbal sin and the hallucination was not verbal but it feels real. Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit I know is to attribute the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan and it happened when the pharisees did as you stated in Matthew 12. I was reading the passage today and it sort of eased my fear that I committed the sin as I did not verbally attribute the Holy Spirit and Satan it was a hallucination it is a long story and I am trying to move past it. I already suffer from OCD Scrupulosity and I asked Jesus for forgiveness about the hallucination.

• Agree
Reactions: Lovetrusion
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Sep 27, 2019
inverness
✟74,529.71
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Well said!!!

When Jesus said that blasphemy of the Holy Spirit would not be forgiven, He was referring to the ones who had just said that Jesus was casting out demons in the name of Satan.

Just as AP said, they were attributing to Satan the work of the Holy Spirit.
i heard it didnt count today as we cant see jesus personaly making miracles so today its rejcting god atleast i heard that

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0
Sep 27, 2019
inverness
✟74,529.71
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
On another thread, the OP said that he was OCD. We must be clear that it will only be "Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit," if he would never again repent (in this life).
so saying jesus was possed isnt unforgivable today as we cant see jesus performing miracles but some say its still unforgivable

Upvote 0

Sabertooth

Site Supporter
Jul 25, 2005
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟961,695.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
so saying jesus was possed isnt unforgivable today as we cant see jesus performing miracles but some say its still unforgivable
No. Giving you facts will not allay your current anxiety. I believe that you already know this, so stop asking and get treatment. Then we can talk.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Can the sin still be committed today? I have certainly been afraid that I committed it an a hallucination? I know that is a verbal sin and the hallucination was not verbal but it feels real. Blasphemy of the Holy Spirit I know is to attribute the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan and it happened when the pharisees did as you stated in Matthew 12. I was reading the passage today and it sort of eased my fear that I committed the sin as I did not verbally attribute the Holy Spirit and Satan it was a hallucination it is a long story and I am trying to move past it. I already suffer from OCD Scrupulosity and I asked Jesus for forgiveness about the hallucination.

IF you're concerned about Losing your salvation, then you haven't committed the "unforgivable sin". If you HAD, you'd no longer care.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Charlie24

Oct 17, 2014
✟103,731.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
i heard it didnt count today as we cant see jesus personaly making miracles so today its rejcting god atleast i heard that
Although this is not directly defined as blasphemy, I believe it falls under the same category.

Heb. 6:4-5
For it is impossible for those who were once enlightened, and have tasted of the heavenly gift, and were made partakers of the Holy Ghost,
And have tasted the good word of God, and the powers of the world to come,
If they shall fall away, to renew them again unto repentance; seeing they crucify to themselves the Son of God afresh, and put him to an open shame.

This is rejecting the Holy Spirit after salvation. The Holy Spirit will never return by being insulted as was the case with those claiming Satan delivered the person from demons.

In both cases, the Holy Spirit was insulted through unbelief.

Upvote 0

Lovetrusion

Dec 31, 2019
Bath
✟8,255.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

It can be but remember words when spoken have power; see Ananias and Sapphira both lied to the Holy Spirit which knows you intimately. Imagine if you could be taken out of your body and watch yourself from a distance through out the day, you wouldn't like yourself one bit. Now imagine what God sees in us everyday every minute, where we really lay our hearts.

We all get bad thoughts and other effects such as hallucinations through works of Satan. So I had say to you let God guide you to get read of them. Pray for them but do not work along with them. Pray for God to guide you with a spirit of wisdom and courage to face everything. Forgive people so that the Lord may forgive you and give you the above.

Upvote 0

St_Worm2

Simul Justus et Peccator
Site Supporter
Jan 28, 2002
✟2,930,093.00
Country
United States
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Hello @jasonMalloy1999, the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is specific in nature.

1) It involves ~KNOWINGLY~ attributing the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan (such a person's heart is so hardened that they do not care that they are doing so).

2) It's blasphemy, which always involves the use of words.

3) It is ~unforgivable~ on BOTH sides of the grave, and that, from the very moment it's committed.​

Therefore, it is not simply unbelief and/or the rejection of Christ as Lord and Savior, as those sins are always forgivable on this side of the grave, obviously.

Perhaps you will find this useful (you can read and/or listen to the short message, BTW): What is the unpardonable sin / unforgivable sin? | GotQuestions.org

HAPPY NEW YEAR :)

--David

Matthew 12
31 Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven.
32 Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Mark 3
28 Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter;
29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin
30 because they were saying, “He has an unclean spirit.”

Upvote 0

sportsfan

Dec 4, 2019
Cottonwood
✟20,364.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hello @jasonMalloy1999, the blasphemy of the Holy Spirit is specific in nature.

1) It involves ~KNOWINGLY~ attributing the works of the Holy Spirit to Satan (such a person's heart is so hardened that they do not care that they are doing so).

2) It's blasphemy, which always involves the use of words.

3) It is ~unforgivable~ on BOTH sides of the grave, and that, from the very moment it's committed.​

Therefore, it is not simply unbelief and/or the rejection of Christ as Lord and Savior, as those sins are always forgivable on this side of the grave, obviously.

Perhaps you will find this useful (you can read and/or listen to the short message, BTW): What is the unpardonable sin / unforgivable sin? | GotQuestions.org

HAPPY NEW YEAR :)

--David

Matthew 12
31 Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people, but blasphemy against the Spirit shall not be forgiven.
32 Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him; but whoever speaks against the Holy Spirit, it shall not be forgiven him, either in this age or in the age to come.

Mark 3
28 Truly I say to you, all sins shall be forgiven the sons of men, and whatever blasphemies they utter;
29 but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit never has forgiveness, but is guilty of an eternal sin
30 because they were saying, “He has an unclean spirit.”

What if it was committed in a hallucination? I believe that my name is in the Lambs Book of Life but I am worried that I commited it in a hallucination that I had bo control over with the yellow flickering light being mentally ill with schizophrenic and OCD Scrupulosity.

Upvote 0